The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kestrel's Oak Build

By on June 24, 2009 6:56:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been developing this since late Beta, but I'm gonna start looking at other builds and maybe some games competing with this one (^^) so enjoy:

Level:         Skill:
1               Shield
2               Soul Ward
3               Penitence
4               Soul Ward II
5               Soul Power
6               Penitence II
7               Surge of Faith
8               Soul Ward III
9               Penitence III
10             Surge of Faith II
11             Soul Ward IV
12             Penitence IV
13             Soul Power II
*Most games end by this point*

If the game goes on get your ultimates in Ward and Surge, then max out Shield or put some points in Morale

Items - I like the versatility Cloak of Night Favor item gives me - makes it extremely hard to kill this build while allowing me to stretch the point of no return.  Otherwise Blood of the Fallen, Amulet of Teleportation, or Ring of Divine Might all have their uses (though ring is usually better with straight morale builds). 

1.  Buy Monks, totem of revelation (keep the totem for increased LoS)
2.  Vlemish Faceguard + Plenor Helm (you only need both if you are in a close game or you are spamming Surge)
3.  Unbreakable Boots
4.  Nimoth Chest Armor
5.  Bishops
6.  L4 Siege
7.  Hauberk of Life
*with this build buy combat pots and port scrolls as necessary 

Flavor - This Oak is unkillable if he's careful and can push a tower or demolish most opponents with equal facility.  The thing I like most about this build is its flexibility - you don't have quite the staying power of a full minion build but you will kill more demigods. At the same time you have more survivability than most opponents and can match their burst dps.  If you don't know how your opponents are teching you can always be reasonably confident that this build will cover one of their weak spots. 

Things to think about -

- Minions make great scouts, tower decoys, and account for a big chunk of your late-game DPS
- Surge of Faith is a massive tactical movement and attack speed buff for you, your minions, and your allies.  Use it as often as your mana will allow.
- Penitence is your bread-and-butter - figuring out whether to use it to debuff or interrupt is a big part of every battle, and it's what you will get most of your last hits from.
- Shield is your ace in the hole.  If you trigger it too early or too late then this build just won't work for you.  Learn how and when to use this ability and you will cut down your deaths and those of nearby allies 50% or more.   

Counters - Full Morale Erebus or Oak, some HP UBs, multiple burst opponents - you can't beat a full morale build in a 1v1 with this, but you should be able to handle anything less.  You have trouble with a full HP UB because his longterm survivability is close to your own and his dps is better, you have trouble with spaced focused bursts from multiple opponents, but who doesn't?

Completely Eats - Regulus, Fire TB, non-morale Oak, most Sednas, Qot, Slam Rooks, non-morale Erebus, Spit UB, towers, creep waves

Thanks for reading, and if you have any comments please let us know.

PS - if you have critiques of the build I'd love to see those too, but I'd also like to play against you before you dismiss it completely. 

+118 Karma | 76 Replies
November 23, 2009 8:07:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Epiphenomenon,
I'll see if I can't replicate the multiple spirit bug with just one point in Soul Ward. I've done it twice. Usually, it happens when I wait to get Soul Ward after level 10 while I have multiple points in Soul Power. It happened to me precisely as it happened to Sparky. I waited until endgame to get a point in Soul Ward, and then I had like 6-9 spirits flying around. Sparky, would you have happened to save the replay? Can you try replicating it again, too?

Can't seem to be able to reproduce it in single player, and unfortunately didn't save the replay.  Will have to save the replay next time this happens.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000016   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.