The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Preparing for Demigod v1.1

By on June 23, 2009 4:12:49 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Sometime tomorrow we expect to release Demigod v1.1.  This is definitely the biggest update since the initial release of the game. Gas Powered Games has been burning the midnight oil to make a fantastic update!

The full highlights will be released tomorrow but here are a few things:

Team conceding will be in. Random demigod option is in. Updated AI is in. Reduced experience and gold from killing priests and angels is in. Heart of life has been nerfed. Tighter integration with the new online system is in for custom games.

Now, one of the things we read on the forums are suggestions on how to keep the community growing.  Let me touch on that here a bit.

First off, since the connectivity issues have been largely resolved, the number of open games sitting around has dropped dramatically. I’ve seen people post that this means the game must be losing popularity.

Technically speaking, the popularity of a game has no bearing on the # of open games. The # of open games is a function of how long it takes to get a game going. Ideally, a person creates a custom game, it fills up and gets started as fast as possible.

The only change is that now that connectivity actually works right, people can set up games quickly whereas at launch, well, let’s charitably say it took longer to get a game set up…

We are going to put up a page that graphs out the online population so people know when the best times to play are. 

What determines the success of a game online is how many people there are online to play with at a given time. And that number has steadily been going up – at least since connectivity got fixed.

The Road Map

As many of you know, I talk to Gas Powered Games every day.  Now, I have seen it argued that game developers will release a game, put out a patch or two and then abandon it.  I want to assure you that this is not the path for Demigod.  We believe the game needs long-term love and care to keep it growing over time.

While we are pleased to have another sales hit on our hands, we recognize that Demigod is different from other games in that it has the potential to keep selling strongly into the long-term.

This past week we nailed down with Gas Powered Games the plans for Demigod v1.2. The 3 big items are:

• Robust Replay support.
  • Native modding support.
  • Clan support.

We are also discussing passionately the development of more Demigods. GPG has come up with a really cool modding system for Demigod that would practically make mods be very similar to game options in game. It looks pretty sweet.

My 2 cents

Now, speaking just for myself, not even for Stardock here just my 2 cents as a gamer on what Demigod needs to keep growing. If I were the “god” of Demgiod and budget was no concern, this is what we’d see:

1. New Demigod released every 60 days
  2. New map released every 60 days
  3. New favor items added every 30 days
  4. Pantheon and Skirmish experience enhanced to let players choose team joins
  5. Pantheon and skirmish would center around a particular player and add people to that joined game.
  6. Maps that support 1 on 1 games.
  7. Players could select the team size preference in pantheon/skirmish games (from 1 to 5 players).
  8. Ability to grab a group of friends or clan members to get into a game from outside the game.
  9. Native voice over IP.
  10. Significant game play enhancements every 90 days (i.e. some new game element).
  11. A robust way to control who you play with when you’re playing non-competitively.
  12. Continual evolution of balance and game play.

Those are the kinds of things I’d like to see. But budgets are finite of course and resources are more finite still.  Sometimes there is “the guy” who is critical to make something happen but he’s not available to do X right now.  I can tell ya, only a network administrator could even begin to adequately explain what mountains had to be moved in order for us to step in and build, largely from scratch, in 30 days a whole new multiplayer connectivity system that handles direct connect, NAT connect, and international proxy hosting on the fly.  We had to basically take our top developers from across all projects and put them on this project. That is a feat that can’t be easily duplicated (and it was why I was so directly involved because I had to “steal” core developers from Impulse, Object Desktop, WindowBlinds, and Elemental to make it happen). 

So one of the things to bear in mind is that recognizing what needs to be done and being able to do it are often two different things. If sales continue as strongly as they are now, I think we’ll be able to do most of what’s listed up there but only time will tell. Like I said, I’m just speaking for myself and looking at Demigod in a vacuum.  But you can rest assured that we’ll do as many of them as we can and push for GPG to get in as many as they can get in or let us take care of it for them. It’s not as straight forward as it seems though.

I’m a big believer in treating games as assets. They can live long into the future. I played Total Annihilation for years after it was released. I’m sure there are people here who are like me in that way.  Heck, I still code on Galactic Civilizations II’s AI on occasion for enjoyment.

So anyway, version v1.1 is about 24 hours away from release. We’re very excited to see how people like it and we hope it’s the first of many updates.

+912 Karma | 136 Replies
June 24, 2009 11:09:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Mr11,

Do they EVER release a change log?  I have yet to find one

Yes, they do. Every time. When you update the game via the Impulse client, right click the game and select "View History".

June 24, 2009 11:19:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do they EVER release a change log?  I have yet to find one

You can also check back the change logs via Impulse. In My Games, select Demigod and select View History.

June 24, 2009 11:30:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shurdus,
The people from Creative Assembly are masters at this. They support Empire: Total War is going way further than the support for Demigod btw, so the support for this game is hardly unprecedented. However, they give the impression that they are sharks and they will not shy away from leaving the customers hanging and they give no straight answers ever.

Dawn of War 2 is also getting great support http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59260 Take note GPG. Be sure to release a great trailer with the upcoming demo(or any expansion packs). Maybe you could do a Demigod: Battle Report having good players battle with the upcoming replay abilities!

June 24, 2009 12:20:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

per Yarlen in chat - favor is being reset.  Thanks for an answer on this. 

June 24, 2009 12:32:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds great guys.  I'm definitely looking forward to 1.1  Keep up the good work.

June 24, 2009 12:33:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks Pacov, I was almost certain they would do that.  I will miss my Anklets till I resave up the Favor.

June 24, 2009 12:36:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Shurdus,
I think I will stop at the game shop on my way home to pick up a copy of Demigod. I am looking forward to it.
May I suggest a direct download from ImpulseDriven instead?  http://www.impulsedriven.com/dem

What Is Impulse?

Introduction

Impulse is Stardock's new state of the art digital distribution platform. Impulse allows users to quickly and easily find their favorite game or software and download it automatically to their PC.

What makes Impulse so great?

Impulse has multiple features that makes it one of the best digital distribution platforms around. Some of these great features include:

• Doesn’t need to be on-line to play single player games.
  • Supports all types of PC software (games, applications, utilities, etc.).
  • Hundreds of games, applications, utilities, themes, and more available to purchase or free download.
  • Available free through Impulse: the Impulse Dock, which lets users organize all their programs and data together regardless of where it came from.
  • Next-generation community features integrated in. Make friends and play games together on-line, start a blog, chat, and more.
  • Delivers a next generation virtual platform that developers can freely use to add exciting new features to their games and apps.

Highlights

• Fast access to games
  • Automatic game updates
  • Play your games on any PC
  • Fast Downloads
June 24, 2009 12:44:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shurdus,
Of coursesales sales dictate the amount of support a game will get, and I think it is remarkable that Frogboy is openly stating that it is indeed so.

From a salesman point of view it is very, very dangerous what Frogboy is saying. Something along the lines of 'we assure you we are doing everything in our power' would be more wise. The people from Creative Assembly are masters at this. They support Empire: Total War is going way further than the support for Demigod btw, so the support for this game is hardly unprecedented. However, they give the impression that they are sharks and they will not shy away from leaving the customers hanging and they give no straight answers ever.

However, I think Frogboy just convinced me that he is indeed a no nonsense guy who thinks of integrity as a highly valued thing. I can have nothing but admiration for this. This is indeed leading me to believe that he and the people he has to steal from different projects are indeed working hard and doing everything that can reasonably be done in order to make this game the great game that it could be.

I think I will stop at the game shop on my way home to pick up a copy of Demigod. I am looking forward to it.

Lol my understanding was Creative Assembly the masters of promising the world and giving nothing. Did they ever put in the MP campaign which was promised at release? Not heard a good word said about that companies release procedures so it's a bad example. I prefer frogboy's honesty tbh

June 24, 2009 12:53:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's out.

June 24, 2009 12:54:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yup!  Very excited for this update!  Get it everyone!

June 24, 2009 12:58:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wtf, impulse doesnt see any update???

June 24, 2009 12:59:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Where can I see the detals of this update?

(Downloading it as I write this)

Edit: (Never mind, found out. View history from Impulse)

June 24, 2009 12:59:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Woo!

June 24, 2009 1:00:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll finish some single player tourneys while I wait...

June 24, 2009 1:02:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Guys how do you download it? My impulse doesnt see anything new....

June 24, 2009 1:03:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I do not get it... I updated and I do not see any option to pick a random DG. I also do not see 10 DGs, just the 8. Is it supposed to be like this?

June 24, 2009 1:08:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Archon Saar,
same here. Apparantly the update I just did was the previous one. When going online now the game tells me an update is needed yet impulse says there is no update available.

June 24, 2009 1:09:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also do not see 10 DGs, just the 8.

This update did not add new demigods.

June 24, 2009 1:10:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The update is still syncing to all of the servers, AFAIK. If you're having issues updating, try restarting Impulse and/or waiting a few minutes.

June 24, 2009 1:12:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Update is online

June 24, 2009 1:19:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Update done.

- Flag capture checks
- Added task ticks
- Tightened purchasing priorities

Can anyone explain it to me what are these fixes/changes?

June 24, 2009 1:32:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If waiting a few minutes doesn't make it show up, try right clicking > Verify Installation, or Impulse orb > preferences > reset data.

June 24, 2009 1:42:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dead Ghost,
Update done.

- Flag capture checks
- Added task ticks
- Tightened purchasing priorities

Can anyone explain it to me what are these fixes/changes?

I'm guessing that's AI

June 24, 2009 1:45:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got a message that said update file larger than expected and it wouldn't download it. Now it doesn't even recognize there IS an update.... I tried verify installation. Nothing...

June 24, 2009 2:48:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

New patch is out, new AI improvements:

To be clear - this guy had 1 kill and 1 death BEFORE he quit. So AI stats are 0 kills and 10 deaths in about 20 minutes. So average 1 death every 2 minutes. Of course the opossite team got so many gold and exp from that AI, we could do nothing about them. GG !! Great AI improvements !!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.