The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Made my first game

By on June 20, 2009 7:15:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Coded in Java. I call it Earth Defender: 3568 but I clearly tried to rip off Space Invaders. The game isn't really done yet, but I used it for my Java class final and I think I got an A+ on it.

Maybe I'll get a job making games at Stardock after college

EDIT:

Made some changes

+30 Karma | 14 Replies
June 20, 2009 7:26:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Cool little program. You could sell it on the Itunes app store, if the iTouch and Phone can do Java Apps. You might want to add some sound effects.

Stardock's a growing business. I'm sure they might hire you.

June 20, 2009 7:26:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

my first game was a flash game.  It was to bad to be a rip-off of anything (it was a platformer)  My second and third were in java and for java class.   They were poker and a dungeon crawler (rip-off of moria?) respectivly.

good job!

June 20, 2009 7:37:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They were poker and a dungeon crawler (rip-off of moria?) respectivly.

A dungeon crawler in Java? How long was the game? I made this in about a week / week and a half even though we had a lot longer to work the projects (Counter Strike 1.6 over the school network ftw!). Everyone else in the class was pretty stupid and this was the second best project.

A dungeon crawler would actually be a really good idea for next year's final (AP CS). Problem is, Java dealt with Applets and AP CS doesn't so I'd have to learn some new stuff... and last year AP CS was a full year, next year it's only half, meaning there probably won't be a "making games" part of the year (my teacher is fighting to make it full year though... and if it's not full year I'm going to start a petition).

June 20, 2009 8:42:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

it was fairly straight forward.  It was a group project between me and 2 of my fellow AP comp. sci. classmates.   It was not very long (only 10 levels, though room to expand.  The rooms were only like 20x20, though in theory we could mod it to be bigger.  We also expected to add additional levels, but we went off to college before we did anything of the sort)

Did you use the "marine biology case study" as yart of your computer science class?   (if not, ask for it.  I vaguely recall hearing they changed the standard program used for AP CS tests, but I'm sure your teacher likely has it around somewhere )

The marine biology case study has a basic grid system composed of many "locations".   somehow we got access to the source code of the 'black box' parts of  that program, from which we based our own grid system.  it was an array of arrays, so an example would be " Grid[x][y].getLocation(); "  

I personally created the combat engine (perhaps the most buggy part of the game I'm afraid to say   , but functional for the most part.  We would just extend the "base monster class" to additional functions for AI script changes ) and the game sprites (animated gifs).  Another worked on the functional part of the UI, which I  recall we used mostly "swing template" stuff.  The 3rd guy was the one that handled the room contsruction and actually made the doors and level layouts.    

We promised, when we got our teacher to agree to let us do that over whatever he had planned, that we would document the code and allow others to expand upon our project if they desired.  So if you want to see some of the source code, feel free to let me know.  I'd love to help somebody make a better dungeon crawler than what I did.     I also got a 5 of 5 on the AP comp sci test, so I can help in general studies as well I'd imagine.   Feel free to PM me.

Pic     (I drew the chests, "orc" and hero "knight" guy... as well most of the items down in the invantory.  You moved him by the arrow keys, and the objective of each room was to reach the door.  It was turn based, if you couldn't tell.  The "game status" informed you of what the last few actions and events were.  

Most of the output on it was originally hardcoded into the monsters and items, thus a nightmare to edit should something not be displaying the way it should.  We changed it to a more dynamic system from the main controls calling functions like "getName()" and "getLastDamage()" run from the turn function itself with a recursion loop, but it took forever for us to find all the output lines burried in our stuff.)

June 20, 2009 9:12:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"drop down, increase speed, and reverse direction"

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=162725&title=space-invaders

btw. those projectiles really should not disappear after next one is shot.

June 20, 2009 9:20:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha i heard about marine biology thing, they changed it to gridworld when i did it.

i just finished my ap do what you want one, i didnt do much, used as a study hall. i did some c# though

if you want to make games seriously i'd look into xna and c#, very similar to java(basically microsofts java)

June 20, 2009 10:18:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well AP CS is next year, second semister (hopefully full year DON'T DENY ME THE FULL THING!!! The reasoning btw is that before it was AP CS AB, and now its just A. But the class starts in very late January and the AP test is in early May so people with no prior coding experience will fail), so if I need help I'll post next year around April or May lol. And since I really only know applets so the source code for that dungeon game is probably too complex for me at this point. One of my senior friends who was in AP CS last year made a turn based game. It wasn't finished but I like his idea. I hope he keeps working on it over the summer even though he's going to get a Physics degree. But anyways I may need the help since I'm taking 3 AP classes next year

"drop down, increase speed, and reverse direction"

One of my favorite episodes of Futurama.

btw. those projectiles really should not disappear after next one is shot.

Yeah but I was too lazy to fix it. I could either make it so you can't fire again until the one of the screen "dies" or I could add a bunch more rocket objects and make it so if one is on screen, it doesn't fire again, instead another one does (but that would make it so you could only have X amount of rockets on screen). I was just lazy and only had one rocket object that was created/started again everytime you pressed the mouse button.

June 20, 2009 10:29:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The first game is always the most difficult to write up. Well done.

Java is a good language to learn how to program with OOP, keep with it. You can always move to something faster down the track.

Have fun !!!!

June 20, 2009 10:33:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i forgot that there was no more ab, kinda disappointing since a teacher should be able to do both. my teacher handled an a, ab , and advanced placement class - the only period he taught all day(he was head of math at school district)

as long as they have an advanced placement class for kids to try out other stuff i guess it's not terrible

June 20, 2009 10:54:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got screwed living on an island where I can't get an actual teacher for coding; I've tried some of the online FAQ's and such, but I really just need someone there I can talk to. Very jealous of your first game, guess I'll wait till college myself

June 21, 2009 1:36:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Congrats, sir.

June 22, 2009 12:01:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Made some changes. Updated the main post. Sorry about the video being squished, I made it at 2 AM and was too lazy to redo it

June 22, 2009 1:54:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Grats.

We never had an AP CS course in my school.

June 22, 2009 4:01:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh god, that dungeon crawler reminds me of something I tried to make for systems level programming (my high school was awesome). We tried to make a roguelike. A multiplayer roguelike that was entirely text-driven. Guess how that ended up?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.