The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Strategy Requests for this Setup (Domination / Oak, Reg vs 2xUB)

A recent game where light got beaten easily

By on June 18, 2009 4:52:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fellow Demigods!

Please consider this set up:

Light: Regulus, Oak

Dark: 2 x UB/Dogs

Map: Cataract

Game Type: Domination

The problem I find with Light under this set up is that they're easily pushed off the flags early on, especially if Dark go for high health builds. Because of this, Dark can often amount a large advantage in terms of Domination score (in the order of 1,000), and experience (by farming the critters). Dark can also press the towers on the Light base, and grab the Celerity, Gold Mine and Portal flags with ease as light scrambles to recapture the other flags.

If you're a light player, what sort of strategies have you used to successfully combat this set up?

0 Karma | 13 Replies
June 18, 2009 6:16:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fighting 2 UB's at the beginnig is really hard.

To counter them, it'll be good to trap UB's into the Reg's minefield and negate UB's spit's DoT with shield.

June 18, 2009 10:46:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What might work depending on the UB players

Oak should take priests and Blood of Fallen and shield on load out. That will give him the stay power to hold the flags.

---------
Regulus should take Universal Gadgets, and the Anklet as his favor item and get sniper scope as soon as possible. Snipe would be a good starting skill.
-----
Oak should take the lead and hopefully absorb a spit or two. When he gets weak then Regulus should heal him with Universal gadget. If the battle is going in your favour Penitence, Universal Gadget and then Snipe the weaker UB and he should be dead. Then use the momentum to take the flag and keep up your lead by killing creeps. Oak should go for a hitpoint build, Regulus should increase his hit points some what but focus on damage and speed. If they turn to get Regulus he should run and let oak hit the UB's back. At this point the UBs aren't doing any damage to anyone. As so as they return to Oak, Regulus should start shooting back.
------
Midgame - Regulus should have mines which give him a good ability to do damage and replace the expensive universal gadget. Boots of speed are a must to get out of battle if the UB turn on him and depending on their build a wand of speed might also help. His purpose is to Aid Oak. He should also run to get flags cause if the UB comes after him he should be able to run away (Oak would be sitting on the other flag leveling up)
------
Oak should have priests at level 4 so he can get his hitpoints back and can heal Regulus so he doesn't have to go back to the flag. He should go for a high health build. Speed will help but Regulus should be the one to kill a UB when it's running away. Because of this Regulus should but the citadel upgrades and Flag locks.
------
End game - Depending on their build (Espically if their Spit builds) the UB can have problems with waves of minions so when your warscore reach level 8 buy priests, angels and cats and follow the wave up. Have Oak slow them down, and Regulus beat on any UB that try to stop the waves of guys while capturing flags. Hopefully you'll win with Warscore but you can distroy the citadel if you want to.

June 18, 2009 12:07:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Find which one of the two UB's is the weaker player and match the oak against him.  Use snipe aim constantly accross the map on so that you are essentially doing 2v1.  The reg will not be able to hold his side but can farm and harass the UB in his lane.  If you can make the weak player go and heal it should give oak the ability to get the flags on his side.  As the game goes on things change as mines come into play.  Now Reg can mine up a flag and start to push back the UB in his lane.  if the Reg played it safe he should not have died, and there good player will not be well fed.  In my opinion reg should get purity for favor, anytime I see an all UB team I almost consider it mandatory as your ability to stay out of UB range and cleanse spit means you can stay around for a long time.  Oak needs level as always and late game a well built oak with shield should be able to solo a UB.

It's a tough match up never the less as Spit is the main problem, coupled with the high HP and you inability to drive them from the lane.  That's why 2v1 dmg from Reg accross the map can result in pushing one of them back early letting you get 1/2 the flags on the map and not falling behind in war score/domination score too much until you can get lvl's items on them and start turning the tide.

June 18, 2009 12:10:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

man i had a completely different experience with 2 regs and an oak vs 2 beasts and a tb

as oak, i harasses cause i grabbed speed favor item so i didnt fall prey to the beasts. whenever they'd try and push to towers i'd be there with a pentinece, then a snipe or two, then shield and i'd chase em

it's just a matter of harassing them in the begining, and if they are together i'd go somewhere else, two spits on a reg is no good.

so pretty much i'd stay spread out to grab flags, and run if you see them, hit em a bit if you can if there is only one

so basically, don't die, spread out in begining and use snipe to your advantage

June 18, 2009 12:17:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just faceroll HoL/Shield hooray!

(no doubles arent OP)

June 18, 2009 12:45:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mrappard your suggestion would never work against two talented Dog players.  If the Dog player is going for a health build which he pretty much will, snipe will immediately be nulled out, this is because you will not get any pushing power because of your suggestions.

In the early stages Oak can't push dog by himself and according to what you suggest, snipe can only be used when the beast is running away, this is because Regulus has no mana...Buy Armour? not likely, you suggest buying Universal gadgets and getting and anklets of speed. Forget Regulus healing oak, if you buy Gadgets immediately and SA..Regulus has 1420 health, with one spit from a dog he is gonna find himself with half his health and no means to push with without risking himself by throwing himself into the enemy. So Regulus will be low on money, with no real offensive and items that had one time uses which he's not getting back...Meanwhile the Co-ordinated dogs are melting through your towers like a hot knife through butter and taking extra flags. By this time the talented Dog players are getting progressively stronger with the extra income from destroying towers and leaving you defenseless while you and Oak have to go on damage control, even if you kill the dog's once or twice, it is still dominate, they will just bounce back.

You purpose a lot of spending without a real sustainable way to keep income flowing in, mines maxed do (450x3)x2 =2700 under the conditions you lay out 6 maxed mines and a dog sets off all of them, it would all be in vain unless you had your Oak friend there for direct support and the quick attack (The Dog would not run after setting off the mines if you are alone, he would stun and drain). By the time you got those levels the Dog would probably have about 5000 health..So he drops down to 2300, he still has many options and most likely on a small map like Cataract, the other dog would be near by! Of course again, by this time in the game, you will have no tower defense and the entire game will be played by hopping flag to flag maintaining the lead via the dogs. This results in A)The oak and Regulus always accompanying each other to each flag and trying to pick off dogs resulting in the steady rise of the warscore of the Dog players or Split up, grab flags (Nice, big chance of getting killed). These are not solutions of how to win the game, even if you destroy the enemy defenses you have spent so much money on 1 time use items that any stun on you with be your downfall because you didn't buy long lasting wares. I mean mines are a bit useless for a player that focuses on speed, because hopping flag to flag means you are left no trap premises. You will also be left with snipe, which at max level and max distance does about 1050 damage, which is rather useless in something like dominate and to dogs which have about 5k health.

Your suggestion just falls flat because even with that play style, you will just fall when both dog's attack together which they probably will do because of the size of the map, so when you get pushed off, they will immediately go for the towers and get more flags. If you used gadgets and didn't kill you would just be even more handicapped. Hell, even if you did kill you'd get about 600 gold in the early stages with a 12 second res time, dogs' aren't really phased by that. You focus way to much in speed and assume that the dog's will be running away, without the initial means to make him run away. I mean, Davinaldo asks about getting pushed off the flags to often, so you suggest being faster? That would not work for the mere reason dog will destroy the weaker of the two Demigods first who would get pushed off even faster by purely focusing on speed and Universal gadgets (Regulus).

June 18, 2009 2:01:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think we are just not defining our terms correctly. For me early game is level 1-3 ending at level 4. While Koushiar comment is absolutely right midgame and late game (Universal gadget does not scale well past early game for damage and midgame for health) in the first three level they can hold off at a 2xUB rush. And when I say sniper scope I mean the upgrade that allow regulus to shoot farther and thus take out towers as well as shooting UB from farther awy.

The original question seem to be about getting past a early UB rush. I wouldn't recommend taking universal gadgets mid game just at the start. At the begining they provide alot of hitpoints or a good amounts of damage and it's easy to get a easy kill in the level 1-2 level two range which usually pays for the gadget. If Regulus is providing support with sniper scope (So he shooting with AutoAttack from the back not sniping with the ability) then the battle is 2v2. And assuming he got the anklet then if they chase after him (I doubt any build will give Regulus alot of staying power early game) then he can go run back into the towers. If Oak has priest then they will heal Regulus and Oak bringing his hit points out of a second spit range and if he's stand far enough behind Oak then it will be difficult to hit him anyways

The problem I find with using mines is that early in the game they only do 300 damage and the cool down is 10 second. So If you can use 6 mines on the Unclean beast then by all means to do it but the at the start of the game that's only 1800 damage (Cause at level 1 they do 300 points each) and using 6 of them requires 2640 mana and requires a minutes to set up. With three points in the skill it would only take 20 second and cost 1320. And even at level 2 they would seem better the universal gadget as their free gold wise. But you'd have to be at least 4th level before you get that far.

So I think we are both giving advice about different parts of the game. 

Incidentally since I didn't put in that the regulus player should buy Vlemish FaceGuard quickly (Which I didn't cause I assume everyone does that) everything I said should be seen as suspect.

June 18, 2009 2:08:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, oak should handle this pretty well. Shield vs two UB is almost an 'I win' move. Blood + priests Negates most of the value of spit early on (unless you fight well poisoned).

I actually think this is one of the easier setups to win now that I think about it.  Oak shielding Regulus, healing both, while having snipe and mines for 2v2's or 2v1's, it really ends up a good scenario.

June 19, 2009 3:32:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
Yeah, oak should handle this pretty well. Shield vs two UB is almost an 'I win' move.

Not so sure. At lvl1 shield lasts for only 2 secs and has 30 sec cooldownn. (6 sec at lvl 4). UB's spit has a 7 sec cooldownn. So, if you reject the 1st spit you'll get second anyway. And we should not forger, tha UB's have pretty nice AA damage too.

Anyway if you rejected the spit of one UB, the second one has just to wait for your shield to wear off and than spit on you.

So there's no "I win" combination. It's better to say, that's "I don't die" combination, that gives you time to go anoter lane/flag, or heal and press the UB's again.

June 19, 2009 9:16:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some doubles are hard to counter, thats why they shouldn't be allowed. Even with a hp boost the Regulus wont get much over 3000-4000 HP, and with spit every 3.5 seconds the Symbol of Purity with a 30 sec cooldown wont help you much.

The best regulus build vs UB that I have seen is slowing. You can one on one them with that.

June 19, 2009 11:57:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ntropy,
Some doubles are hard to counter, thats why they shouldn't be allowed. Even with a hp boost the Regulus wont get much over 3000-4000 HP, and with spit every 3.5 seconds the Symbol of Purity with a 30 sec cooldown wont help you much.

The best regulus build vs UB that I have seen is slowing. You can one on one them with that.

no, not at all. people who complain about doubles just complain when they are the other demigod that gets easily coutnered, two beasts is the same as any thing else. OH NO TWO SPITS!!!! oh no any coordinated team can do two big attacks

doubles isnt the problem, either ub is op or reg just isnt good against him

June 19, 2009 12:11:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting woca,

people who complain about doubles just complain when they are the other demigod that gets easily coutnered

While double UB isn't all that great, a lot of others are quite potent.

Double Snipe is a pretty huge problem in larger games (less so in 2vs2), especially with two or more heavens wraths. So is 12 mines all in one spot.

So are 16 towers of light.

June 19, 2009 12:35:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

snipe is messed up as of now imo

16 towers are only a problem when you get jammed up, otherwise just go somewhere else

mines are easily avoided, unless planted before that, and then no problem imo

regulus is a pussy early game, you should be able to outlevel and handle the situation, as is rook

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.