The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Game archive and multiple installs

Is what I did legal?

By on June 17, 2009 6:07:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please bare with me So after purchasing my copy of DG online (the digital download copy, obviously) I realised I couldnt actually download it as my houses net useage for the month is too close to it's limit.  To remedy this, I installed impulse at work (with the bosses permision!) and downloaded the game straight to archive on that computer, and brought it home.

Now...My friend bought it at the same time, and we assumed that we could use the same file to install on both of our computer but when he logged into his impulse account it said it wouldnt extract the archive.  My assumption is that my personal serial is already in the file that was downloaded using my impulse account?  Anyway... I logged onto his computer with my own account and unpacked the game, and then let him switch back to his own account. BUT... Was this okay?  Will the SD servers be registering me as having installed my game on like three computers now, eventhough it's only being used on my own computer, and on my friends with his own serial purchased?

After he logs in his own account it shows his serial when you look at the registration info, but since it was installed with me logged in first, and downloaded through my account is my serial somewhere still in that install?

There seems to be a lot of info in random places around google about how the "share it with your LAN, that's cool" policy, but there seem to be strings attached, and I'm not sure if I'm crossing the line now and my mate will have to uninstall to redownload again through his own account before his Impulse considers it as using his own serial. 

Any chance of getting an authoritative response? I'm trying to do the right thing.

+4 Karma | 6 Replies
June 17, 2009 6:51:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's an odd case Generally speaking, the archive *is* attached to your account when you make it, which is why you could only install it on his computer through your account. There really aren't any strings attached to the LAN sharing thing other than "well, if the people you're LANing with don't own it, delete it afterwards so they don't get the game free"

As to your situation, I'm honestly not sure how exactly Stardock's system handles it? Does it show up as installed when he logs on his account or is he launching from a non-Impulse shortcut? Can you both log in online at the same time? I would imagine after the installation it would use his serial number since that's what he has registered, but you should send an email to [email protected] and ask what exactly happens in that case.

June 17, 2009 8:31:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah once I installed it on his computer with my account, he logged in on his account and it was playable, and when he checked the registration it showed his serial, not mine.  I think I will follow your advice and send an email, though a response here might be nice purely for other people who may encounter the same sort of setup themselves.  I would have rather bought physical media to avoid this sort of thing but it was substantially cheaper to buy online than in stores here in Australia.

June 17, 2009 9:41:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, Stardock's work day is just starting, and they're pretty good about noticing threads like these so I wouldn't give up on an answer here just yet.

June 17, 2009 2:40:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It should work, but it will have been activated for your account/serial, so it's best to get it changed over to his. If he changes Impulse back to his login, then right clicks on Demigod and reactivates, it should take care of that. If there's any other issue, [email protected] should be able to help.

June 17, 2009 9:52:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the reply!  Good to know it's okay, got on his computer and tried to reactivate, it told me it couldn't do this as some file was locked, I deleted it as per its instruction and reactivated fine.  I assume this is all that's needed, thanks again!

June 17, 2009 9:59:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whoops, wtb delete post button, heh.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.