The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Autoattack analysis

By on June 15, 2009 6:18:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What are you doing the most every game?  That's right, autoattacking.  I decided to do little write ups for the features, cons, and bugs that are part of everyone's favorite action.  I describe the bugs at the bottom of the post.

Torchbearer Ice: Torchbearer in Ice mode shoots a icy ball as his autoattack.  It's simple, accurate, and doesn't seem to suffer from any particular issues.  It deals damage when the ball hits.  Torchbearer can attack while moving in Ice form and does so slowly.

Torchbearer Fire: Torchbearer in Fire mode shoots a fireball as his autoattack.  It's mostly similar to the ice except for a few key differences. 

1) He cannot attack while moving.  I'm not sure why this is the case, as every other Demigod can attack while moving but it seems perhaps an oversight?  This is a big disadvantage because unlike every other hero you can no longer attack while chasing.  Your best bet is to just get off one final Fireball on a fleeing hero because you can't rely on autoattack beyond 2 or 3 hits if they start to flee. 

2) There is a bug where the fireball will not hit targets if they are very close to the Torchbearer, especially if they are small.  A minotaur attacking Fire TB is a good example of this, the small fireball will try to arc towards the small target and hit the group and appear to fizzle!  This is annoying to say the least and should be fixed sometime in the future.  Sometimes it will even miss ranged targets, but seems inconsistent.

Regulus: Regulus' autoattack really doesn't have anything special going on with it.  If you're in range he'll shoot a bolt and it will fly over and hit you.  It homes, so there is really no escape.  Occasionally it has missed a target and spun wildly around trying to reach them but that seems rare.  As everyone knows, with the +2 range boost autoattack outranges normal towers, at +4 it outranges archer towers, and +6 outranges fortresses.  The wings cause Regulus' autoattack to hit a small aoe area.

Queen of Thorns: 2 modes, significantly different range autoattacks.  Both modes are subject to the "Multiplier Bug" I will describe later.

1) Open mode: Shoots a thorn attack through the ground.  This is instantaneous and cannot miss as far as I can tell.  Hits one target, pretty straightforward.

2) Closed mode: Shoots the same thorn attack, but it hits a small aoe area.  This is a pretty big advantage and can be used to hit multiple creeps at once, and sometimes hits the minions with an enemy Demigod.  Pretty useful to say the least.

Rook: Rook's autoattack is a bitch slap with his free hand.  Not only is it hilarious, but it deals hefty damage.  Later on Rook's autoattack will send creeps flying, which autokills them if they aren't dead already. (I am not sure if you need his +50 dmg upgrade to grant this effect).  Rook suffers from both the "Fake Attack Bug" and the "Mistarget Bug" I will describe later.  When Rook autoattacks towers he switches to the hammer for a cool animation.  Can attack while moving, but if the running enemy is faster than Rook (which they almost certainly are) you won't get much use out of this.

Unclean Beast: A melee slash with his claws.  Fast and mostly accurate.  Can attack while moving and does so in a smooth motion.  Can apply debuffs if you've specced it.  UB has many bugs on his autoattack, with three - the "Mistarget Bug", the "Multiplier Bug" and the "Fake Attack" bug.

Sedna: A melee slash with her sword thing, or Sila will attack with claws.  Usually accurate, can attack while moving, pretty standard.  Sedna's autoattack suffers from all 3 negative bugs - the "Fake Attack Bug", the "Mistarget Bug", and the "Delayed Attack Bug."  But not usually the "Delayed Attack" bug after Pounce or Silence, only Heal.  Odd....

Oak: Melee attacks with his axe.  He can attack while moving, as can most everyone else.  Oak suffers from all 4 autoattack bugs - the "Fake Attack Bug", the "Mistarget Bug", the "Delayed Attack Bug", and the "Multiplier Bug." Oak suffers the "Delayed Attack" the most out of all heroes in my experience, almost always following Surge of Faith.

Erebus: Melee slash with the scepter.  Can attack while moving.  Erebus suffers from several bugs - the "Fake Attack Bug", the "Mistarget Bug", and the "Delayed Attack Bug."  It should be noted that Erebus seems to suffer the "Fake Attack" and "Mistarget" bugs more than all other heroes.

Now that I've gone through all the heroes I will describe the various bugs that occur with autoattack.

Multiplier Bug: This bug is the only one beneficial to the player.  When an enemy is fleeing from you and you are autoattacking them while moving as the enemy just reaches the limits of your autoattack range sometimes your hero will start delivering autoattacks in rapid succession.  Happens most often with Queen of Thorns and Oak, but I have seen it with UB as well.  Your hero just starts hitting them over and over.  I've seen attacks multiplied 5 or even 6 times at once, though it's usually 3-4 attacks.  Can happen when you are faster than they are and chasing (when they just get into range) or when they are faster than you and fleeing (just as they are leaving your range).  Regardless, you should not get to machine gun your attacks like this for way more damage than you do normally.

Mistarget Bug: This bug is a nuisance.  Often when you right click on a target your hero will walk up to that target but then....attack something else.  Right click again - they attack a different creep.  Enraging to the say the least, but usually only happens when you are attacking creeps, not enemy Demigods.  Still, if I issue an attack order to the archer I don't want to walk up then start hitting the minotaur behind me.  I've started to get into the habit of clicking right NEXT to the creep I want to attack so my hero walks to the spot then autoattacks the nearest target (the creep I wanted) on their own. 

Fake Attack Bug: This bug is a real pain.  Often you will right click a target and you hero will walk up to it and attack - except nothing happens.  The second attack will almost always go through though.  But usually your first attack is wasted.  Happens all the time to enemy Demigods, particularly after you have used a skill of some kind, or when the enemy Demigod is running towards you.  Still, how many times has that one hit been the difference between life and death, or an escape or a kill?  This happens constantly to Erebus, but very often to Sedna, UB and Oak.  Rook too, and his attack is slow so you really don't want to be wasting a hit.

Delayed Attack Bug: This bug is easy to see.  After many actions (casting a skill for example) you expect your hero to resume autoattacking, but instead they simply stand there.  Eventually, 2-4 seconds later they resume autoattacking, but you've already lost 3+ attacks.  This happens constantly to Oak, especially after Surge of Faith.  It can happen both if you use a skill then wait for autoattack, or right click a target that is already within your attack range.  To break the hold of this bug you can move your hero and your autoattack will "reset" and you can attack again without having to wait.  Similar to the skill bug of old, come to think of it.....

Missed Attack Bug: This bug affect pretty much every hero.  If you are in the autoattack animation and the target you are attacking dies, you still go through with the fuil animation and eat the autoattack cooldown before you can attack again.  Happens constantly when you're trying to autoattack through a normal group of creeps.  Not sure if this is a bug or just an undesirable feature.  If your attack "misses" you should get the attack back on whatever you attack next without having to wait, in my opinion.

And that's the state of autoattack.  If I've overlooked anything let me know, and if anyone has more info to contribute regarding the bugs that would be helpful as well.

+28 Karma | 48 Replies
June 15, 2009 6:30:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hate it when the 'delayed attack bug' happens with Regulus. When you are bouncing around early game in the creep lines going back and forth attacking creeps and demigods, it's really annoying when I quickly want to switch from attacking the creeps to a demigod and Regulus just stands there for 3 seconds.

I've also noticed with Oak many times the 'miss target bug'.

June 15, 2009 6:51:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Delayed Attack Bug: This bug is easy to see.  After many actions (casting a skill for example) you expect your hero to resume autoattacking, but instead they simply stand there.  Eventually, 2-4 seconds later they resume autoattacking, but you've already lost 3+ attacks.  This happens constantly to Oak, especially after Surge of Faith.  It can happen both if you use a skill then wait for autoattack, or right click a target that is already within your attack range.  To break the hold of this bug you can move your hero and your autoattack will "reset" and you can attack again without having to wait.  Similar to the skill bug of old, come to think of it.....

This is the most irritating issue in DG for me ATM.

June 15, 2009 6:52:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Torchbearer bug is by far the most serious, as this one is his only unique one. the rest of the bugs are universal, which dont make them that serious since everyone have them.

June 15, 2009 6:55:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I really hate it when trying to flee and dg stops to attack creeps mostly. I seen it attack a different dg once. I have died quit a few times because of this bug.

June 15, 2009 6:58:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This post is great. It summarize mostly all the auto-attack problem.

GPG should check this thread.

June 15, 2009 7:00:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the rest of the bugs are universal, which dont make them that serious since everyone have them

Nearly everyone was effected by the skill target bug and that was pretty serious.

Most of these bugs are pretty big when they effect battles.

June 15, 2009 8:24:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think u missed out ubs fake attack only happens when u are near the mob moving up to it and hitting works but if it is next to u say on the right  it will  miss

so i would say it comes under  fucked up attack rather then fake attack 

but personaly demigod has gotten a bit boring  when the new demis  get out ill proberly play more but as it is now there is no new things to do  i have played as virtually every build

June 15, 2009 8:43:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I get the Mistarget Bug alot, especialy when a demigod flees.

I will be auto attacking them then as soon as they move outside my attack range I will start attacking the closest creep. Even after I re-target the fleeing opponent my demigod will turn towards them then just go back to attacking the closest creep.

I have a feeling this is the same problem that minions suffer from, they will attack a creep that damages them instead of following out whatever orders you have sent them.

June 15, 2009 11:06:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I agree, auto-attack has lots of bugs, that's why i click almost non-stop to attack, just to make sure my DG does what i want. But i have no hope that GPG would fix these, considering how much they took just to find (reproduce) and fix that ability bug...
June 16, 2009 1:09:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree, auto-attack has lots of bugs, that's why i click almost non-stop to attack, just to make sure my DG does what i want

I think doing this triggers something similar to the "Missed Attack" bug and resets your autoattack timer every time you click.

I click until I'm sure I'm attacking the target I want and then just let it go.  Once you're autoattacking what you want it never seems to break the lock unless something happens like a stun or interrupt.  Then you have to click again and risk any or all of the above bugs from occuring....

June 16, 2009 1:28:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ive experienced the first 3 and possibly the last one also.

it was interesting reading through this. I only thougt fake attack bug happens if u target one opponentand mid attack u switch target.

June 16, 2009 5:04:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Multiplier bug 5-6 times? i've never seen it happen more than a double attack.

5-6 times maybe looks like it would be 5-6 times if you are at 0,5-0,6 attack speed and the double attacks come quite fast after each other.

June 16, 2009 9:29:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great post!

I think you missed one bug though. Queen of Thorns sometimes suffers from the same bug as Torch Bearer in Fire mode. I've chased fleeing enemies with her and seen her start to attack but not actually hit. This happens repeatedly. Either this was fixed since release or it's a lesser know bug.

June 16, 2009 10:12:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Reg can't chase people around corners. If he is pursuing someone and they go around a corner, they will be within his range by an increasing amount after they hit the apex of the corner which will cause him to stop moving, then when they get out of range again he will have to go around the corner and will thus be out of range of them.

June 16, 2009 11:26:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It happens most to Queen of Thorns (in closed mode).  You'd actually have to play QoT to see it happen that much.

Reg can't chase people around corners.

Most heroes have issues chasing people who go around corners.  The sides of Cataract are where most of it occurs.  Sometimes your hero will just stop, but more often they will take a strange path briefly which allows the enemy to get distance and escape your autoattack range.

June 16, 2009 12:07:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,

It happens most to Queen of Thorns (in closed mode).  You'd actually have to play QoT to see it happen that much.

I play QoT in 90% of my games but never had more than 2 shots...

June 16, 2009 12:15:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good for you.  If I could fraps it happening I would.  You'll just have to take my word for it.  It's happened to me on Prison when I have a Swift Anklet, as then you can keep up with people and they stay in the attack multiplier range for longer.

June 17, 2009 1:35:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Wagnard,
This post is great. It summarize mostly all the auto-attack problem.

GPG should check this thread.

LOL. I didn't notice this game had anything to do with supcom 2 so why would they bother?

June 17, 2009 1:47:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HateForest,

Quoting Wagnard, reply 5 "This post is great. It summarize mostly all the auto-attack problem.

GPG should check this thread."

LOL. I didn't notice this game had anything to do with supcom 2 so why would they bother?

Because they made this game too?

June 17, 2009 11:21:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*sigh*  You might be right.

But maybe Supcom 2 is using the same engine?  If they fixed the autoattack problems here maybe they could reuse the code for Supcom 2?  Maybe it does have something to do with it!

June 17, 2009 4:04:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Along these same lines, does anyone ever have the UB auto-attacking a demigod that chooses to retreat, and the UB decides it would be best to start auto-attacking the creeps instead?

June 17, 2009 4:08:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Variant of the Mistarget bug at work.  I believe that the script that causes your Demigod to chase things that leave your attack range and the script that will cause you to autoattack things in your attack range when you have no target and not entirely in sync, and sometimes the latter script fires even though the former should be the one being executed.

June 18, 2009 12:09:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's also a bug with auto attacking snared enemies.  Ranged demigods will run to point blank on a demigod that's moving slower than them.  I've lost a few games as regulus solely because he ran right up too a rook that could autoattack for 500 damage.

June 18, 2009 1:14:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy says GPG creep these forums and listen in intently.  So, let us hope they are paying close attention to this particular thread.  I'd love to see a REP from either GPG or SD comment on this officially.  It'd just make us all feel better if these monikers for each particular bug (dubbed by the OP, InfiniteVengeance) were acknowledged formally.

June 18, 2009 2:24:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's also a bug with auto attacking snared enemies.  Ranged demigods will run to point blank on a demigod that's moving slower than them.  I've lost a few games as regulus solely because he ran right up too a rook that could autoattack for 500 damage.

I've seen this too with Torchbearer.  Right click a creep ever so slightly outside of your attack range and he'll start running toward the creep while firing, and won't stop moving until he's on top of them.  Not good if you were trying to keep your distance from those melee heroes.

It does *not* happen with Fire TB, only Ice, because Ice can attack while moving.  Fire will stop when he starts attacking, and this is possibly the only time in the game where it's actually a good thing.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.