The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Budget Laptop That Will Run DG

By on June 9, 2009 6:50:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FutileEmotion

Join Date 03/2009
+18

Heya!  I have my main PC which runs demigod great.  I'm in the market for a cheap laptop, and it would be nice if I could run Demigod on it while I'm someplace else.  Does anyone have any personal experience with a GeForce 9600M and Demigod?  More specifically, I'm looking at this laptop.  All thougths are grealy appreciated.

Locked Post 14 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 9, 2009 9:36:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I use a GeForce 8600GM with my laptop, and it works fine on low graphics.

June 9, 2009 10:12:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd recommend checking out www.slickdeals.net (hot deals forum)

If you troll there for a few weeks, you'll probably find a deal on that laptop or something quite a bit better.  My only advise with buying laptops - be patient.  A full 30 days can make a difference in the deal you can get... especially if you monitor deal sites like slickdeals or fatwallet.  Also be aware of bing.  Some sites provide cashback for your purchases.  For instance, bing will give you 5% cashback at tigerdirect atm or 2.5% at newegg.  So, I you can get the exact model you want from newegg with 2.5% cashback right now.  Also, I'm pretty sure I just earned some karma. 

June 9, 2009 10:34:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I bought a toshiba zm-82 2.20ghz ATI 3650 $699 on newegg similar to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115546

I would have bought a 9600m laptop but the ati3650 was $50 cheaper.   The laptop you linked should run demigod fine.

June 9, 2009 10:43:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you up your budget to $899 you could get what I'm running which is the ASUS G50vt. It has the 9800M gfx card in it. Demigod runs perfectly.

June 11, 2009 1:44:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, btw, make sure that you always play DG while having your laptop charging. Otherwise it will be on an idiotic "power saver" mode that will kill your performance. I had to learn this the hard way in a multiplayer game.

June 11, 2009 7:23:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I own an Acer 7730G laptop, it's really good enough to plat nearly all games on low settings.

Not complaining at all, it's only a laptop and it's not designed to play games at max settings like a desktop would do. At least not in this range of price (<700€)

-9600M GS
-T5800 2ghz
-4gb RAM
-250go HDD
-17"

It even runs L4D on medium and it's really smooth. Honest truth, even Warhead is playable at low settings, even though it looks ugly.

June 16, 2009 10:16:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Exactly the info I was looking for.  I ended up springing for the deal listed, and it will get here on Wednesday.  I don't need a pentultimate gaming laptop, just something that works..

June 17, 2009 12:22:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey - give us a reply on how it handles demigod! 

June 17, 2009 2:28:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will do.  Right now I'm busy F5'ing ups.com.

UPDATE:  I've got the laptop (two days after ordering - not bad!)  Its very sna ppy, I feel that the 2.4 ghz dual core is doing me justice.  The display isn't as snazzy as my new 23" Dell Monitor (and I miss having that much desktop space), but its fine for my needs.  I can't hear it running at all - I'm almost worried the fan is dead, but I think its just because I haven't pushed it yet.  Still getting things configured, Impulse isn't connecting quite right..I'm wondering if its from all the ports I have forwarded to my desktop to run DG.

UPDATE 2:  Downloading DG, its at 3.6%.  Impulse is fighting with Windows Update for my meager DSL bandwidth.  Waiting at the same time for my new Razer diamondback to arrive (UPS beat Fedex here).  In the meantime, I'm picking through the bloatware and seeing if there is anything worth keeping.  Does anyone have feelings on eSobi?

UPDATE 3:  Demigod is installed.  It runs fine, as far as I can tell - the graphics are set to the medium preset, and it seems to run smoothly enough.  I don't have a mouse with me, so I can't play a full game (maybe I could if I could find a way to zoom in and out with the keyboard).

June 26, 2009 1:56:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Medium gets a little too dicey torwards the end of the match, I've toned it down a notch more and we're good to go.  Played a match while on ventrilo, worked beautifully.

June 26, 2009 1:43:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What fps do you get?

How is your simspeed towards the end of the match.

I like to see your performance (fps and simspeed) on a 5v5 on the biggest map (The brothers or Mandala)

-------------------------------------------------

On my ati 3650 laptop, I can put medium settings on some small maps but low settings on the big maps. 

July 1, 2009 1:42:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Blitz64,
What fps do you get?

How is your simspeed towards the end of the match.

I like to see your performance (fps and simspeed) on a 5v5 on the biggest map (The brothers or Mandala)

-------------------------------------------------

On my ati 3650 laptop, I can put medium settings on some small maps but low settings on the big maps. 

How do you check ur fps? I always have simspeed 10 on my desktop but no idea how to see fps ingame and dont wanna mess about with fraps.

July 1, 2009 4:00:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The numberpad '/' key will bring up your fps in-game.

July 1, 2009 5:46:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice tip dash... didn't know that one!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time: