The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Motorolla Surfboard Problem?

Massive ping spikes.

By on June 7, 2009 9:15:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hello, as I'm sure several people are sick of hearing, I've run into a problem with ingame ping spiking. However, I thikn I may have found a lead (yes, I've port forwarded, have a decent upload rate, etc, I've been through the measures, trust me. For details on the problem, see Dead Ghost's post here:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/352593/page/3/#2248317

It contains my exact problem, along with that of many others on the thread.

Anyways, pure and simple, has anyone else had trouble with a motorolla surfboard modem? I've got a S85100.

+24 Karma | 12 Replies
June 8, 2009 1:15:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I use an SB5101 myself and haven't noticed any issue with it.

June 8, 2009 9:20:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SB5120 and have the issue.

June 9, 2009 2:35:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SB5101 and no issues either.

June 10, 2009 10:00:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stupid question, but have there been any Firmware updates for the Surfboard that don't involve running it on other operating systems/bizzare network setups? I'm wondering if it could be a firmware problem, but I haven't found any patches, even off Motorolla's site. (I'm currently using XP, and have it connected to a wireless router)

June 11, 2009 2:58:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I remember a few years back I had the SB5120, had an un-related issue......the ISP came out saw it was an SB5120 told me the 5120's were crap, replaced it with a 5101 and I haven't had any sort of connection-related issue since.    

June 13, 2009 7:41:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My modem died last night (it was about time), and now I have a DPC2100 from Scientific-Atlanta, never heard of them, but I'll notify if it fixes the problem.

P.S.: Will be out for a while for a Fallout marathon with a friend of mine, so the thread update might take a few days.

June 16, 2009 9:38:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pseudomelon, how is your new modem doing? Did it fix your problem?

Would you take this test here and show/tell me what is your result?

I have a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR EPX2203 modem and the result of the test was interesting:

"Your upstream queue is so large that packets can get delayed for more than a second. This can be a problem for real-time traffic such as VoIP or online games!"

My upstream Queue was 1146 ms.

Still, i don't know if this is the fault of the modem or the ISP, but i'm pretty sure that's why i have problems with ping spikes in Demigod.

June 16, 2009 12:02:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is. It says mine is even worse, yet I don't get ping spikes and I use VOIP all the time.

June 16, 2009 12:29:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, i agree, i've just asked some friends of mine to take that test on their connections (and DG works for them, btw) and their results are similar to mine: high upload queue. It must be something wrong with that site...

So back to square one...

June 16, 2009 8:10:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sadly I can't test it on a Demigod 3v3 game at the moment, as I have family from the states visiting, whom I haven't seen for 3 years. I won't have the spare time to test the connection till about a week from now.

As for the test, I get this:

* Your downstream queue is larger than 300ms and thus larger than average round-trip times in the Internet (e.g., 50ms for US coast-to-coast delays and 150ms for transatlantic delays) which is the recommended size for queues.

* Your upstream queue is so large that packets can get delayed for more than a second. This can be a problem for real-time traffic such as VoIP or online games!

As does everyone I know. Go figure.

June 16, 2009 10:31:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I ran the test from my location (Canada) and my upstream queue was listed as being just over 100ms (which considering my location in relation to the site was completely in line with my expectations).

June 17, 2009 4:07:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Everyone was out for a bit and I got to testing it in a 3v3; the modem is not, in fact, the problem.

Monk, you mentioned in one guide that if you have a 192.168.xx.xx number, you have to do some fancy business with your modem configuration, correct? I've got an IP address of 192.168.2.3, do I need to change some configuration to get this to work?

Much obliged, everyone.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.