The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Computer won't recognize RAM

By on June 7, 2009 10:22:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I recently unpragded my computer with two 2 gig RAM sticks (Kingston, DDR2 PC2-3200, 400 MHz), but my computer would not turn on the moniter with them in. When I put the old RAM (2 512 megabyte stickS) in along with the new, the computer started normally, but only recognized 2.87 gigs of RAM.What's goping on, and does anyone know how to fix this problem? I've looked all over, and short of calling HP or GeekSquad, I figure I might as well as k here, since I've gotten some great help here before.

And yes,  Iupgraded so I can play Sins with the best graphics available.

Computer is:

HP Media Center PC m7060n

RAM Supported:

4 gigs max, 800 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM PC2-3200

If any more info is needed, just ask, and i'll deliver.

Thanks

SSAF

(Who's finally back)

+13 Karma | 26 Replies
June 7, 2009 10:32:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OS 32bit only up to 3gig

June 7, 2009 11:00:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OS 32bit only up to 3gig
It's closer to 3.5. Should say something more like 3326 Mb.

June 7, 2009 11:06:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mine says 3.49gig.

June 7, 2009 11:25:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Have you put them in the right sockets?  They are probably matched pairs, 1+3 and 2+4, at a guess.

June 7, 2009 11:44:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Shadow1412,
OS 32bit only up to 3gig

In theory, a 32bot OS can manage 4BG of memory. But the RAM is not the only memory counted in this value, the GC VRAM is included, and other various memory spreaded across the PC.

June 7, 2009 11:46:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what OS are you running?

June 7, 2009 12:09:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Try the following from HP to see if you did everything correctly...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph03886&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=459895#N818

June 7, 2009 12:44:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Update: I have the 2 gig RAM sticks in their matched pair slots, because they're matched pairs. I've removed my old RAM, and the computer still works with the new RAM.

It still only recognizes 2.87 gigs of RAM.

I'm running

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Reply to Shelbygt, I've actually used that site. That's where I found me computer info and the RAM I can support. Thanks though, that website is helpful.

SSAF

June 7, 2009 12:52:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's because you have a 32bit OS.  32bit OSes have a max of 4gig addressable memory.  Subtract from that your graphics card ram and some other accessories, and you should be close to your 2.87 gigs.  What graphics card do you have?

June 7, 2009 1:01:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont think VRAM is included in that.

I have 1GB VRAM on my ati 4670, yet my computer recognizes 3070MB of RAM

June 7, 2009 1:12:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting landzin,
I dont think VRAM is included in that.

I have 1GB VRAM on my ati 4670, yet my computer recognizes 3070MB of RAM

1024 x 3 = 3072... pretty close to 3070, lol (but no, I don't think vram matters or SLI/Crossfire systems would rape main memory, lol.

To the OP > You don't need a 4 GB of ram. I have a few computers and I have a Dual Core with 2GB of ram and a 4830 that runs above 5sim speed all the time (usually 8 or 9 at the beginning of a game)

June 7, 2009 1:31:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Bios? Static electricity when you snapped those in?

June 7, 2009 2:32:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, Video RAM is subtracted from the total. You see, it's all about adressable memory. It simply doesn't have enough addresses for all of that memory. You have to address RAM on your Video card as well.

June 7, 2009 2:36:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BigAbboTT,
Yes, Video RAM is subtracted from the total. You see, it's all about adressable memory. It simply doesn't have enough addresses for all of that memory. You have to address RAM on your Video card as well.

Interesting, I haven't really looked into that. So by this rational, a computer thats SLI/Crossfire two 1GB cards can only have 2GB ram on 32bit system?

June 8, 2009 1:33:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Mobo dictates whatever maximum RAM can be addressed. VRAM is an independant pipeline.

June 8, 2009 1:41:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uhm? Your Operating System is more-likely going to be your limiting factor. And it will be addressing your RAM and your VRAM out of the same pool of addresses.

June 8, 2009 1:46:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am running 32 bit OS and it goes to 3.57GB so OS isn't the problem as a few have stated.

It's entirely possible you got bad sticks.

1.Verifiy Compatibility

2.Verify the slots work (By testing your old RAM)

If it's still only recognizing half the RAM is is what it looks like, You might have a bad stick. This is not uncommon at all. It could have been a manufacturing error, shipping damage, or damage while seating them in the PC.

June 8, 2009 1:54:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting themadmanazn,
Interesting, I haven't really looked into that. So by this rational, a computer thats SLI/Crossfire two 1GB cards can only have 2GB ram on 32bit system?

Well I know on in my system when I was running XP it would only see 2.75gb out of 4gb. (768mb video card, but also had a sound card with onboard memory) I've heard of people with extreme systems saying XP saw as low as 2.5gb max, but I haven't actually head of anyone saying it saw lower than that. (Although it probably is possible, people just started running 64bit OS's more commonly when running more than 1gb VRAM because they were usually running 4gb minimum RAM as well)

Technically, I wonder what would happen if u tried to boot XP 32bit with dual 2gb video cards? Would the PC not see any RAM and therefore not load, or would it eventually just not see all the VRAM?

June 8, 2009 3:33:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The graphics card i have is...Nvidia something. GeForce FFX 5500, I beleive.

So, you're saying that the Nvidia card could be eating up my memory? I guess that does sort of make sense.

Note about damage: I was careful to ground myself when installing the RAM sticks, and I was very careful not tooput much pressure on them, even though you kinda have to to get the locks to snap into place.

I've tested the RAM slots, by the way. They sure do work; my old RAM ran on them perfectly.

Thanks for all the replies and help,

June 8, 2009 4:12:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What really counts is what your computer recommends in virtual memory

Virtual memory

I have 2@4GB RAM and my Computer\Properties says I have 2.96GB no shared video.

Click on the advanced tab and then Perormance Settings tab, and again the advanced tab.  What does it recommend for Virtual Memory?

You must set this when adding ram or you won't get all the benefits.  Set the minimum at the recommended and the maximum at 150% of that

Cheers

WOW my first image in this forum?

June 8, 2009 4:26:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I presumed his swapping parameters were *already* handled properly by XP - but, you're right, Peter Jam... addressable RAM can show up at some lowest values in a number of "monitoring" (system properties or not) detection ways.

June 8, 2009 7:53:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Out of all of this ... the 4 gb max on a 32bit wouldn't affect his monitor not turning on guys. Windows would cut off some of the RAM and allow the video card so .. it isn't that. He just simply wasted money on 4 gigs and dosen't get it.

Are you sure "DDR2 PC2-3200" is what your old ram was?

From what i am reading you prob didn't get the right RAM. If your old ram works perfect and the new one won't even boot correctly ... then it sounds like faulty ram and/or you got the wrong kind.

/shrug

Just my 2 cents

June 15, 2009 4:06:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know if any of this will be of help to you, I hope it is, so here goes!

Some BIOS' on motherboards have issues addressing the full amount directly when POST occurs. This can sometimes be remedied in the BIOS settings by looking for either S/W memory hole mapping or H/W memory hole mapping - that is if you have the option. This help the PC see the full amount in the BIOS (in case yours isn't).

Also a thing to bear in mind is that if you are using an Athlon 64 (or X2) that some of the processor steppings had difficulty running RAM over 3gb at 400MHz. This can sometimes be addressed by manually setting the memory timings manually depending on what the RAM should be. This can defo be hit and miss though. Not sure if you have one of these though so ignore away if not you!

These are a few of the things you can do, just be warned that if you have a temporamental Nforce4 board like mine it can be a bit of a battle getting there.

Good luck!

June 15, 2009 5:40:26 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Make sure your BIOS is up to date. The current version for your MB is 3.28.

I have the HP m7360m, and they both use Asus motherboards. Mine is a different model than yours, but Asus is a good brand. If you are having this problem it may just be a BIOS issue. I have 3GB installed with a 256MB video card, but I show 3.0GB of RAM.

A 32-bit system uses the upper .5-1GB for system memory, which includes video RAM. Your video card has a max of 256MB, so it should not eat into what the system reports.

If after updating the BIOS you still show a lesser amount of RAM, you likely have a brand of RAM that is not fully compatible with your MB. Such was the case when I upgraded my system, but with mine it would not boot at all.

June 23, 2009 10:03:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I've done just about all i can with my RAM. My computer is running fast and smoothly now, and recognizes about 3 or so gigs, which is a start. And now my Nvidia card decided to asplode. Can't blame it, i've had it for seven years, and that sucker really heats up when running. It was only a matter of time. Now i'm stuck using the crappy built in computer graphics card, which makes my screen, no lies here, 640x480 pixels. So now my hard won RAM is for naught.

Anyone know what a good Nvidia card is? I was thinking about the GeForce 8800 series, but I don't really know which is best. I've never much paid attention to the hardware, just the software.

Thanks,

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001062   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.