The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Sim speed warning idea

By on June 6, 2009 7:09:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Forgive me if this idea has been posted before, I don't read all multiplayer topics.

The idea I'm having is simple: there have been a lot of complaints about not ping, but Sim speed. Players with low Sim speed will slow down multiplayer games, thus ruining the fun for others.

How about GPG or SD implements some kind of small benchmark for sim speed. I understand sim speed is mostly about cpu. I've seen other games with 'benchmarks', some simply check your cpu against the minimum required cpu, some other games run a short ingame scene. For the demigod sim speed maybe a simple predetermined sim calculation might suffice. The idea is this: when the benchmark, in whatever form it would have, detects that a player has a slow computer and sim speed will be low, he'd get a popup when starting a multiplayer game stating "Your sim speed is low. This might result in lagging online games and reduce fun for other players. Your PC does not meet the requirements for online play. Do you want to continue? [Yes] [No] [Show me how to solve this problem]

Yes will launch the lobbything, No will bring them back to the menu, and the last will bring up an ingame page or launch a browser with tips on how to improve the situation. Now I read that if you have a low sim speed then there's not that much that you can do about it, but surely there are some tips to give, like

* disable background applications/download programs

* turn down or disable music/detail/<insert random setting x that might help>

* upgrade your PC to recommended specifications

* update your drivers

* etc

A lot of people on this board know about sim speed, but I think most people online that you ask about it will reply: "Sim whut?!". There should definately be some room for improvement here.

What are your ideas about this? Complaint obsolete? Complaint works differently? (I don't play many multiplayer games so I don't know how all of it works). Screw sim speed let's just kick anyone thats low? Hell yeah implement this tomorrow? Tell me

+18 Karma | 6 Replies
June 6, 2009 10:25:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I remember correctly there was a program/setting/test like this in Supcom. It was fairly nice, I rather wish they would implement it here.

It isn't just ping that slows down games (and normally if it is ping it is because of ping spiking).

June 7, 2009 2:31:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I suggest forcing the game to run at lowered settings if the simspeed drops to a level below 0.

June 7, 2009 4:42:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheGuildfordStrangler,
I suggest forcing the game to run at lowered settings if the simspeed drops to a level below 0.

This please. If it continues to run below zero, it may be necessary to create a democratic kick button. :/ I hate this idea myself, but playing on -3 speed in a 2v2... is unacceptable.

June 7, 2009 10:51:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheGuildfordStrangler,

I have less sim speed than others, but a good pc, so i tried to lower settings. The result was that I got just graphic bugs till a new match loaded. Plus I know I don't have a high-end cpu. So sim speed depends mostly on cpu and all settings depend on graphic card. And it doesn't help to lower settings ingame.

June 7, 2009 11:11:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well it should be fairly easy for GPG to point out some settings that will help your cpu and thus sim speed. Or maybe they could up the priority of sim calculations and leave the graphics for whatever cpu power is left after you get sim speed = 1.

June 8, 2009 12:12:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Izibaar,

Quoting TheGuildfordStrangler, reply 2I suggest forcing the game to run at lowered settings if the simspeed drops to a level below 0.
I have less sim speed than others, but a good pc, so i tried to lower settings. The result was that I got just graphic bugs till a new match loaded. Plus I know I don't have a high-end cpu. So sim speed depends mostly on cpu and all settings depend on graphic card. And it doesn't help to lower settings ingame.

Actually, it does, provided the graphics are an issue.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.