The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

new type of a*

By on June 5, 2009 11:31:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just finished a '3v3' game with a little less faith in the human race. One of the enemy players got the other 2 on my team to quit by spiking his ping and causing unplayable lag. As soon as my team mates left it went normal again and they played on.

Is it just me, or is that a really dirty and cheap way to get a win?

*edit* - they --> my team mates

+2 Karma | 50 Replies
June 5, 2009 11:35:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if they where doing it why would they leave

June 5, 2009 11:38:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

they didnt, my team did. that is a bit ambiguous looking at it, edit time....

June 5, 2009 11:43:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had this happen where I was crushing my opponent... he said gg, stayed in the game, and did something that caused painful amounts of lag for about 15 minutes.  I'd imagine this would be pretty easy for most people to pull off if they wanted to try to ruin the experience.

June 5, 2009 11:45:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He intentionally spiked his ping with the purpose of getting your team members to quit? Ummm, ok......

Sounds like a great strategy to me

June 5, 2009 11:59:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Holy cow that's terrible.

That settles it.  We need a kickvote.

June 5, 2009 12:00:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He probably just had low upload bandwidth. As soon as the game dropped to 4 people his connection could handle it.

June 5, 2009 12:03:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AngryZealot,
He probably just had low upload bandwidth. As soon as the game dropped to 4 people his connection could handle it.

Damnit, why'd you have to say something sensible before I got the chance to?

June 5, 2009 12:03:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but it was fine for the 15 minutes previous to this happening...

June 5, 2009 12:12:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Who cares if, in this instance, it was a mistake or not?

Seems pretty clearcut to me: if someone is going to lose or just wants to be an asshat, they can grief everyone by throttling their connection or BT'ing, slowing the game to a halt.  The only thing we can do about it is quit (yielding the win) or stick it out (producing a painful experience for all, particularly the victors) and there is nothing we can do to stop them (right?).

June 5, 2009 12:13:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yea, thats a problem. U can always increase your ping to 999999999999999 just for the sake of pissing people off.

A votekick system would fix this. Or, make it so the game kicks whoever is super lagging everyone.

And NO, u cant do anything about it. Besides banning them....but that wont stop them from pantheon

June 5, 2009 12:13:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wouldn't immediatly assume this was done intentionally by the other player. As others have stated this game requires a lot of bandwidth. He could have genuinely been spiking and when those players dropped it was enough of a reduction in bandwidth to reduce the spikes. It happens all the time.

June 5, 2009 12:18:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm pretty confident in the case I described above that this was done intentionally... I mean, how hard it is just start downloading some BTs?  I'll give this a shot tonight briefly in a game with one of my buddies tonight.  Being able to kick would be swell, but of course can cause some issues as well... in my case, that was a 1v1 game... not quite sure that I'd be able to kick then.

June 5, 2009 12:19:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but when the guy starts laughing about it after my team quits? it just screams griefing.

June 5, 2009 12:19:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't see a new type of asshole, I see the same old type of asshole...

June 5, 2009 12:23:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Write down his name.  Never play with him again.  Simple.

June 5, 2009 12:30:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how does this one go again.... ah yes:

"don't attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetence" - someguy

hands up, i don't have the best connection (it's fine but my flat mate's aren't really unstanding 'STOP TORRENTING NOW!') which is annoying. for me, for you and my flat mates.

what's most annoying however is if/when this happens a load of immature expletives throwing insults.

by all means keep an eye on this guy and see if it happens again but as AngryZralot said:

"He probably just had low upload bandwidth. As soon as the game dropped to 4 people his connection could handle it."

June 5, 2009 12:32:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

or find an actual solution to the problem, since in 2 of the 3 game modes a pad of paper means squat to the matchmaking system.

In-game banlists would be good (so the matchmaking gives a crap about who you don't like), but I'm not sure it's helping an already-small community if everyone just bans each other.  Seriously, when devs get a chance, just fix the problem.

Quoting mrlarone,
how does this one go again.... ah yes:

"He probably just had low upload bandwidth. As soon as the game dropped to 4 people his connection could handle it."

Or he opened enough torrents to lag down a full server and then walked away.  I know if I wanted to grief a group of people I wouldn't induce a lagfest and keep playing; it'd be just as frustrating for me to play with the lag.  When people dropped it brought the bandwidth reqs down to something manageable.  Griefers can easily open more torrents to make up for the bandwidth they are reclaiming as the lag pushes people out.

June 5, 2009 12:37:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quite obvious that was intended. And it sounds like a viable tactic for jerks.

And sadly the internet and especially anything related to dota is full of them! So this could't get more common in the future.

I faced a similar situation:

Game started - everything allright.

After a while we were leading in kills and suddenly it started to lag as hell. After 3 horrible minutes I left.

I think an autokick against extreme lagger or extreme low sim speed is necessary to avoid this.

Btw is "opening torrents" the new expression for "downloading"? If I would do such shit I would just throw on the next best ftp download which comes to my mind. Just curios because that expression seemed so native to many people in this thread

June 5, 2009 1:14:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just downloading doesn't really max out your bandwidth too effectively because of the way TCP shares connections.  Bittorrenting is a much more effective way of capping out your bandwidth limitations since all the connections it spawns does a better job of suffocating more well-behaved internet applications from getting any bandwidth.

June 5, 2009 1:27:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

reminds me of a 3v3 I was in that was lagging due to one of my team-mates, we'll call him .  We asked " , what is wrong with your connection??"   replied "I'm downloading something from youtube.  It will be done in a few minutes don't worry."

wtf?  AssHat, thy name is .  People have no respect for others.

June 5, 2009 1:31:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw is "opening torrents" the new expression for "downloading"? If I would do such shit I would just throw on the next best ftp download which comes to my mind. Just curios because that expression seemed so native to many people in this thread

with bitorrent (well, any p2p protocol in fact), you can easily kill your upload, and i think that is the way to go if you to be a major league asshole and create a lagfest. If that kind of behavior becomes too common, the devs have to come up with a way to kick the extreme laggers.

And if there was a way to report effectively that kind of thing, it would also be usefull. It is just cheating so banning those that do that seems to be the solution.

June 5, 2009 1:52:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ban demigod accounts on that kind of losers

June 5, 2009 2:31:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe your assuming it was done on purpose did he say he was doing it with that intention?

your realize demigod is p2p and his connection may not handle 3v3 well.  So when 2 of 6 drop and only 4 connections are left something his connection can manage then the spikes go away.

happens with me and 4v4.  I wish they did dedicated servers but eh live and learn.  I'll add that to the things I look for before I buy a game.

June 5, 2009 2:33:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

can you prove that he intentionally spiked his ping? how do you know it was a coincidence?

June 5, 2009 3:11:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just lost a little faith in the human race by reading this thread. Didnt you guys ever think of the fact that i may have been the ops own team mate that cause the high ping? its the most obvious reason since the lag stopped when he left? 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.