The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Ragequitting? Get over it

Seriously

By on June 1, 2009 2:03:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wwwolf123

Join Date 11/2003
+8

Now, not to start a Flamewar, but Get Over It.

While I do agree that people often drop games before they are lost, you are being absolutely ridiculous if you insist that players remain in the game to the bitter end. Have you seen pro Starcraft games?

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2Mr-JqHLM from 4:50-5:10

GG-> Quit before *any* damage is done to their base!

For that matter, have you seen any decent chess played? Rarely does it actually go to the true "check-mate". Usually, one player conceedes when the loss is obvious.

Therefore; if I am playing against you, and your team is spanking my team, Warscore 10-5, you have 20 combined kills, and we have 1, I'm going to quit. This isn't 'rage-quitting'. This is acknowleding that you've already won; this is admission of defeat. Go ahead and comp-stomp for the favor.

It's ridiculous, and unfriendly to the "common" player, to insist that the less experience players sit there and die over and over again when there is no chance of victory, and you are just waiting for the enemy to whittle down the base. When the opposing team has farmed an AI 10 times, or there is someone on your team that just kamikazes like there's no tomorrow, the game is already lost and over, and I have better things to do in my life than sit there and observe you stomping me. You might as well just stomp the AI; it's not like you make less XP, and perhaps the game will get over more quickly so that I and my teammates might go to another game, and practice the important part, the part before "certain loss".

I have to warn the community; this "rage" over "ragequitting" will ultimately turn off new players, and will prevent Demigod from being a true pro-style multiplayer online game with a long lifetime.

As far as I'm concerned, there are two improvements that should be made:

1. A real way for a team to admit defeat. When one team becomes "all AI", the other team should have the option of taking the win now, or going on to comp stomp. Both should be considered a victory.

2. A favor incentive for holding out in a game to the bitter end. This might, but probably won't, reduce the incidence of people quiting during the "defeat" period.

All that being said, it's ridiculous when people quit 2 minutes into the game. There should be a negative favor hit for that, or some other form of penalty. You shouldn't quit because you were the first enemy kill; you shouldn't quit because you were stupid and fought inside the enemies towers.

But quitting because you are getting absolutely stomped? That's *honorable*. That's how real games are played. There's no reason that isn't legit. There *aren't* any games out there that don't allow concessions; even in the real world of sports (blowout rules).

Get Over It.

Locked Post 26 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 1, 2009 2:19:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

qft

June 1, 2009 2:21:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with the above. When I am playing custom game and we are lvl 6 and our opponets are lvl 10. It is lost. When not resign.

Pick up games vs friends is another example. They are using ventrilo and coordinating. The pickup team isnt. The ranged aoe guy isnt supporting his teammate, so his character is constantly going 1v2. Not fun. So he conceeds. What is the problem.

June 1, 2009 2:27:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You seem to be unable to tell the difference between concession and rage quitting.

You might make more headway if you understand the topic you are posting about. Nice attempt at a rant, albeit ill informed.

June 1, 2009 2:31:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

theres a difference between conceding and ragequitting.

rage quitting is when someone dies early on quits the game.  this is not so bad in itself except in this game there is a lot of waiting especially because there is no concede or quit button currently.  

So say in a 4vs4 match after waiting to get the game started and launched.  Now everyone has to wait in pause for 30seconds for the ragequitter.    After that the game is likely ruined so other people will now quit which can cause players to have to wait in pause mode doing nothing for 3 or more minutes, or control alt delete demigod and restart it.  Either way its just an annoying waste of time caused by someone with extremely low self esteem who cant handle "dieng" in a virtual game.  

its just weak over all. 

but yea I agree with leaving once the games already been decided.   Its funny when pre made teams who have 10 more levels than you and your team say things like,"no ragequitting!!" and then they proceed to dick around for 20minutes buying every artifact in the game instead of just killing the base.

June 1, 2009 2:39:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting will516,

but yea I agree with leaving once the games already been decided.   Its funny when pre made teams who have 10 more levels than you and your team say things like,"no ragequitting!!" and then they proceed to dick around for 20minutes buying every artifact in the game instead of just killing the base.

Yea, I sympathize with this type of situation, and this would be fixed with the concession options.

June 1, 2009 2:41:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In my opinion people quit alot earlier than they need to.  I've come back from when people have been beating on my citidal and won the match.  I think that people quiting becuase they THINK they can't come back and thats stupid.  Maybe thats not a rage quit, but it's still annoying.  Then i have to play the AI for 10-15 to get my damn favor points.  Thats no fun for me or the people i'm playing with.  That means you get to go on to another game while i have to grind for the favor points.  In chess at least i get the win and the game is over.

June 1, 2009 2:46:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Then i have to play the AI for 10-15 to get my damn favor points. Thats no fun for me.

And again, that's why the AI has no business being there in the first place.

Take it out of the equation, give the winners their rightly earned win, and get on with life.  It'll still suck when people quit but at least the people on the other team who stuck around don't get directly punished for it.

June 1, 2009 2:50:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sakhari,

Then i have to play the AI for 10-15 to get my damn favor points. Thats no fun for me.

And again, that's why the AI has no business being there in the first place.

Take it out of the equation, give the winners their rightly earned win, and get on with life.  It'll still suck when people quit but at least the people on the other team who stuck around don't get directly punished for it.

That would go along way for me.  Thats all i really hate is having to play the AI.

June 1, 2009 2:54:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the real problem stems from the fact that everyone has to wait 30 seconds for the "rage quitter" to actually exit the game.  Personally thats what gets me pissed off.  It gets even better when 1 person quits then another quits 4 seconds later...you can't even get a line of text off before your greeted with the connection screen and have to wait another 30 seconds.

I completely agree that if you are getting raped over and over again that quitting may be acceptable...just get the actual "end game" option working properly so the game does not think someone is disconnecting due to lag/crash issues when they are actually quitting.  Hopefully the next patch takes care of this (notes said it should be fixed).

June 1, 2009 2:54:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not at all, I understand there is a difference.

The issue is that it seems like most of the community has conflated the two. If you quit a game, you are often labelled a "rage quitter", regardless of the reason you quit.

The predominant "emotion" in the forum seems to be that quit=ragequit, regardless of reason. My feeling is that the vast majority of quitters are not actually rage quitting, but are conceeding. It's very, very rare that I see a true "rage-quit", but I see a fair number of quits that happen, both when I am winning and loosing. I don't begrudge my opponents who quit out when they are down 10-1; I feel comfortable quitting when we are down 10-1.

Quoting VyperXXX,
You seem to be unable to tell the difference between concession and rage quitting.

You might make more headway if you understand the topic you are posting about. Nice attempt at a rant, albeit ill informed.

June 1, 2009 3:15:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is all a moot conversation. At least until the next patch comes along and we see where ending a game moves from there.

The only problem I have with people quitting early is a display of respect. When you click on that Multiplayer button, anyone who has ever played an online game should understand the "risk" they are taking. Will you get into a game with equally talented teammates? Will the other team be a punching bag every step of the way? Will you be the punching bag?

Who knows?

Either way, a person should be respectful and play through. Otherwise, consider playing a computer controlled character that you can set the difficulty to. That way you can rage quit to your hearts content when you're blasted away with little agitation to someone else that's willing to invest their time.

June 1, 2009 3:24:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have *never* quit a game, no matter how bad my team is doing.  Not only have I had a couple pretty amazing comebacks but I'm not a quitter.  If it really is a done deal that I'll lose I'll use my time to try different crazy strats or abilities or items that I normally don't do.  Use it as a learning tool.

June 1, 2009 3:27:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't quit often, but I do it sometimes. It's just painful to sit there and play when taking 2 steps beyond your towers = death. I'll say gg, you guys win, and leave.

People use the term RAAAAAAAAAAGEQUIT! because it makes them feel happy that they think they got the other player so frustrated they left.

Yes, there's a difference between ragequitting and conceding. I think ragequitting became a popular term around the time left 4 dead came out. All 4 survivors would make it to the end with full healthpacks, and an infected player, who hasn't even played survivor yet on the map, leaves. THATS ragequitting, when you leave before the game is obviously a loss.

June 1, 2009 3:29:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For that matter, have you seen any decent chess played? Rarely does it actually go to the true "check-mate". Usually, one player conceedes when the loss is obvious.

There is a crucial difference here and I'm surprised you don't see it - these games are ONE ON ONE.

Team games are a completely different concept.  You do not quit unless the TEAM decides they are done.  If the team wants to resign, fine, nothing wrong.  If the team wants to keep playing and you do not, you stay.  If you quit, you are in the wrong, regardless of how much *you* think the game is lost or how much your teammates suck.

June 1, 2009 3:38:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,

There is a crucial difference here and I'm surprised you don't see it - these games are ONE ON ONE.

Team games are a completely different concept.  You do not quit unless the TEAM decides they are done.  If the team wants to resign, fine, nothing wrong.  If the team wants to keep playing and you do not, you stay.  If you quit, you are in the wrong, regardless of how much *you* think the game is lost or how much your teammates suck.

you must be horrible at this game to want to play with shitty players

June 1, 2009 3:46:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you must be horrible at this game to want to play with shitty players

Was this supposed to be an insult?  I can't tell.

June 1, 2009 5:15:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Meh.  I just had a game in which my mate mate was all "LULZ HEY GUIS HOW DOES I PLAYED DEMIGOD?" and proceeded to kamikazi into the enemy base, feed my opponents gold and exp and just generally be of little help.  I myself am also quite new so when I realised we were up against at least 1 experienced player I got the feeling that we were screwed.  My gut instinct was indeed correct but I stayed in the game against my better judgedment. 

I will never get those 35 minutes of my life back.  Staying in that game was the biggest waste of my time and what did I get out of it?  NOTHING.  Other than a seething hatred for players who don't even know what their skills do or have the common sense to try an offline skirmish before jumping into multiplayer.  I feel like such a mug, if I had quit when my instincts told me to I could of gotten another game in, instead of bashing my head against a brick wall for 30 minutes.

June 1, 2009 5:32:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Porkus_Maximus,
I will never get those 35 minutes of my life back.  Staying in that game was the biggest waste of my time and what did I get out of it?  NOTHING.

You gained a bit of play experience at worst, but gained respect from the community. I keep everyone's names down that end up leaving a game before finish. I, nor my friends, will play with people on said list without some serious consideration.

You rock.

June 1, 2009 8:28:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, here is my two cents:

"
While I do agree that people often drop games before they are lost, you are being absolutely ridiculous if you insist that players remain in the game to the bitter end. Have you seen pro Starcraft games?
"

The term ragequit is usually used when someone gets upset over the performance of his team, or his inability to deal with the enemy and quits due to anger. Noone said that people should ALWAYS stay until the bitter end, even though as you will see, most of the time they could just as well do that.

"
Therefore; if I am playing against you, and your team is spanking my team, Warscore 10-5, you have 20 combined kills, and we have 1, I'm going to quit. This isn't 'rage-quitting'. This is acknowleding that you've already won; this is admission of defeat. Go ahead and comp-stomp for the favor.
"

If that happens, you can be sure that there will be giants banging down your citadel in seconds anyway, so there really is no point in you quitting, as the game will be over in a few minutes. The only thing achieved by quitting are:
- a 30 second wait (/player) for the remaining players
- a loss of favor points for you
- an increase of your disconnects stat.
- a loss of reputation, unless ofc you excuse yourself in public chat before leaving.

What my problem is with people justifying ragequitting is that most of the ragequitters are stupid and have no sense of the game. They will quit after five minutes, when the enemy team gets a lucky few kills or even mid game, when they seem to be dominating and they die.

They feel right and justified by your type of posts even though they did the utterly stupid and gave up the fight before it was really over.

"
All that being said, it's ridiculous when people quit 2 minutes into the game. There should be a negative favor hit for that, or some other form of penalty. You shouldn't quit because you were the first enemy kill; you shouldn't quit because you were stupid and fought inside the enemies towers.
"

And yet they are singing the same stupid lines about how their noob opponent kamikazes into the enemy all the time, using the same lines as an excuse for their quit, as you just used.

To all the pro-ragequitters out there, let me quote two stories of mine:

Story 1: 3v3 game on leviathan. We were holding the flags most of the time, having a warscore advantage, but two of my teammates were pounded really badly by the enemy. In fact the enemy had a level advantage of about 3 or 4 on each one of us. I notice one of my teammates saying in ally chat:
TM - I'm going to leave.
Me - Why?
TM - We die too much.
Me - But we are winning (we werent at that time, but the game was far from being over as well)
TM - I dont think so.
Me - But we are.

He did stay. 5 minutes later we've reached warscore lvl10, upgraded to giants and won the game.
Me - That much for you leaving.
TM - Lol. I was stupid.

Let me quote that line okay?

"
Lol. I was stupid.
"

Story 2: In a 3v3 game tonight we were getting a beating. The enemy (a team of three assassin demigods) was owning us real bad. They did clear a way to our citadel and kept harassing us there. We were having a slight advantage in warscore due to us having the majority of the flags earlier in the game for a while, but generally speaking the warscores were close and the enemy did have a good 3-5 level lead on us. They used the money to buy items, so we were really screwed whenever we had to fight one of them. It seemed to be a losing fight and yet we have won. We did agree to save up money for giants, and when we got there, we made a desperate grab for the portal flags and locked them. The giants allowed us to retake the map, and by the time they managed to upgrade to giants as well, we've already caplocked one of their portals.

Now .. suffice to say, that the game was played with decent players, but a typical ragequitter would have left about half an hour earlier, when it did really look like we are done.

No.. i will not get over it, as ragequitting - as the name implies - has nothing to do with honor. Its simply a stupid act of rage motivated by selfishness and anger, completely ignoring the ill effects such a decision has for the teammates.

June 1, 2009 8:32:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can barely stand to read these forums anymore.  It has primarily become a place for people to complain about their definition of "ragequitting".

June 2, 2009 12:37:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Atheos,
I can barely stand to read these forums anymore.  It has primarily become a place for people to complain about their definition of "ragequitting".

That and OP, and Balance.  I don't even play hardly anymore because of all the QQ.

What they always say to me is, I don't understand how their games get ruined because of it. 

People always quit, its just a reason to pick up their slack and shine, instead of crying over spilt milk obviously. 

Actually I think the internet and america has degraded into a bunch of whining sissys.

June 2, 2009 12:39:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People always quit, its just a reason to pick up their slack and shine, instead of crying over spilt milk obviously. 

If you've played much of the game then you know that this is NOT how it works.

June 2, 2009 2:00:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,

Quoting Atheos, reply 20I can barely stand to read these forums anymore.  It has primarily become a place for people to complain about their definition of "ragequitting".

That and OP, and Balance.  I don't even play hardly anymore because of all the QQ.

What they always say to me is, I don't understand how their games get ruined because of it. 

Actually I think the internet and america has degraded into a bunch of whining sissys.

This is not Dota.

June 2, 2009 3:29:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting hudsonave,

You gained a bit of play experience at worst, but gained respect from the community. I keep everyone's names down that end up leaving a game before finish. I, nor my friends, will play with people on said list without some serious consideration.

You rock.
I lol'ed. Give me a break.

... Will someone please implement a resign button?

June 2, 2009 3:35:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting maxxy,

Quoting hudsonave, reply 18

You rock.I lol'ed. Give me a break.

... Will someone please implement a resign button?

soon.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001547   Page Render Time: