The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Will the Federation meet the Borg in the new timeline?

Huge temporal paradox caused be Nero's meddling

By on June 1, 2009 9:22:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't know if anyone has thought about this before, but I went and wrote a couple of paragraphs about this temporal paradox caused be the new timeline.  I posted it as a note on FaceBook, and will copy/paste the note here.  Thought you guys might have some interesting things to say.

As you should know, the we first meet the Borg in the TNG episode "Q Who?", when Q flings the Enterprise across the galaxy, where a Borg cube will soon show up. What might be slightly less known, however, is that the Federation first meets the Borg hundreds of years before that, in the Enterprise episode "Regeneration". In this episode, an Arctic research team on Earth discovers remnants of a Borg vessel, including drones. We learn that they are the survivors of the Borg attack on Earth, in First Contact. This is where it gets confusing. Before the crew of the Enterprise (as in, the first Enterprise in the Star Trek timeline, the one from the SHOW Enterprise) destroys these Borg, they send out a signal, which will be picked up be the Borg cube from Q Who, which sets a course towards Earth, and is intercepted by the Enterprise D in Q Who. So it's a big circle. The Enterprise D meets the Borg, eventually the Borg go on to try to go back in time to assimilate Earth and stop the first warp flight from occurring, they are defeated, their remnants then go on in one or two hundred years to send the signal that the cube picks up, which, on it's way to Earth meets the Enterprise D. But it gets worse.

So, Nero went back in time, and changed everything. All we thought was true has, now, never happened, except, maybe for the events from Enterprise, since it came before that. And here is the problem. As was described above, the original Enterprise meets Borg from the future, which were defeated by the Enterprise E in First Contact. But since, now, the Enterprise E may never exist, could the events from Regeneration even happen, despite the fact that it came before Nero came and screwed up the timeline? Will the Federation even meet the Borg before an Earth invasion, or will they have no time to prepare, without that first meeting?

Thanks for reading, if you actually got all the way through. I hope I was clear on these points, and the paradox in question. Please leave your comments below.

Thanks!

I'm eager to hear what the Sins community has to say.

0 Karma | 41 Replies
June 1, 2009 9:50:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't think many will want to consider Enterprise as canon, though. Anyway, Nero certainly messed things up but Spock was there to ensure that Kirk becomes captain of the Enterprise to keep the timeline relative stable.

That said, as cool as the Borg are, I don't think they'd be the best fit in the new Star Trek re-imagining. There are plenty of things to explore before that.

June 1, 2009 9:55:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In my opinion Since the entreprise E does not exist in this new time, it's fair to assume that borgs from the future never went back in time and threfore never met Enterprise. So the Borg are safely in the Delta Quadrant and more than likely we will not meet them for a long long time.

I agree with Annatar I do not think Borg would fit well in this new timeline.

June 2, 2009 3:39:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Solam,
In my opinion Since the entreprise E does not exist in this new time, it's fair to assume that borgs from the future never went back in time and threfore never met Enterprise. So the Borg are safely in the Delta Quadrant and more than likely we will not meet them for a long long time.

I agree with Annatar I do not think Borg would fit well in this new timeline.

Ya, except for kirk and vulcan, i think most of the new timeline will remain more or less the same, even Q would be coming to the Federation. As for the movie, the fact they destroy one of the founding 4 world is..... I think most people liked the film caused it was kinda for the noobs [of star trek], but for pure trekkies, the film is as close to disaster as possible.

June 2, 2009 3:50:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That depends on your definition of "pure trekkie". I grew up on Star Trek watching it when I was 7-8 and I still tune in SciFi channel every Monday and Friday for their TNG episodes. I thought the movie was very entertaining and worthy of the name.

But if your definition of a "pure trekkie" is someone who takes <insert something that happened in some episode> as Law of the ST universe and anything that then goes against it later on is heresy then I'm quite content not being one.

Have you seen Galaxy Quest? An amazingly brilliant parody that demonstrated this quite well, actually. There were a few people in the movie who more or less lived in that "universe". They had memorized all the episodes and were spitting out inconsistencies, had learned the ship blueprints and all that.

My definition of a real trekkie is one who's familiar with the universe and knows what's going on, but not one who'll be pissed off because some character's face mole is different from what it's supposed to be So what if Vulcan got destroyed? It opens up new and interesting storytelling for future movies and/or shows - and that's what Star Trek is, adventures and stories.

June 2, 2009 4:17:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The problem is that it messes up some of the old episodes and/or one or two of the Star Trek movies that were out before this.  In one of the movies, Spock is on Vulcan and is talking/staying with his mother as he is regaining his memories from before he was "killed".  In the new movie, both Vulcan and Spock's mother dies, so where does Spock go to recover his memoreis after he is "killed" and brought back to life by Genisis?

June 2, 2009 4:20:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok so im about to go pure nerd here but . . . Did anyone watch the show Enterprise. It was susposte to be the prequeal to all the shows and in one of the episodes there was a crashed borg ship in the arctic and it sent a signal to the rest of the borg off in the Delta quadrent. So Abrams could go in that direction if he wanted to but i think it would be for the best if he didn't. I never liked the borg the got on my nerves. But to Mooster, i grew up on the show. My dad showed me the original, TNG and I watched all the series and all the movies i watched the movie and i though it was a good twist. The series needed something new, something for a new generation. and im pretty sure the next 2 movies in the series will not disappoint the old fans such as I. And i second want Annatar says, if theres one thing the show showed us its that we should be open minded (as corny as that sound). And this movie has opened up new possabilities that could be really good.

June 2, 2009 4:24:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Archangel52,
The problem is that it messes up some of the old episodes and/or one or two of the Star Trek movies that were out before this.  In one of the movies, Spock is on Vulcan and is talking/staying with his mother as he is regaining his memories from before he was "killed".  In the new movie, both Vulcan and Spock's mother dies, so where does Spock go to recover his memoreis after he is "killed" and brought back to life by Genisis?

Nero going back in time branches the timeline so none of those events will necessarily occur in the same manner.

It's why they did the cliched going-back-in-time thing: it keeps things Trek, but it eliminates the necessity of having to tell rigid stories that fit with any of 50 random episodes across all the shows/movies and inciting nerdrage when it fails

June 2, 2009 4:41:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting redrevolution129,
Ok so im about to go pure nerd here but . . . Did anyone watch the show Enterprise. It was susposte to be the prequeal to all the shows and in one of the episodes there was a crashed borg ship in the arctic and it sent a signal to the rest of the borg off in the Delta quadrent. So Abrams could go in that direction if he wanted to but i think it would be for the best if he didn't. I never liked the borg the got on my nerves. But to Mooster, i grew up on the show. My dad showed me the original, TNG and I watched all the series and all the movies i watched the movie and i though it was a good twist. The series needed something new, something for a new generation. and im pretty sure the next 2 movies in the series will not disappoint the old fans such as I. And i second want Annatar says, if theres one thing the show showed us its that we should be open minded (as corny as that sound). And this movie has opened up new possabilities that could be really good.

Ok,... I am not totally slaming this movie down, I like it especially it explained a lot in how the main cast got together. I mean, it show how kirk beat the most impossible senario in Starfleet command

To be honest, i don't really like the enterprise series, if I started to watch it after the title song/title, i would have though it was either BSG or something else, probably would have realized it after if they use a star trek speciifc term, but it was totally different than the rest of the series.

If there is ever going to be another movie or another series, it won't be the same, even if they used all of the terms correctly, and everything is right, it just won't be the same without the computer. i have mention this elsewhere on the forum, Majel is dead, even if they recorded her voice in a database, it just won't be the same.

In regards to the Borg, I don't mind them even if they were the most destrutive force, it kinda forced the Federation to realied that even with their most advanced weapons, they are weak.

June 2, 2009 4:50:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I kinda hope that the Federation will meet the Borg again, but keep the Borg as they were portrayed in TNG: a near-unstoppable force of nature rather than the heavily weakened Borg in Voyager.  I wonder how Kirk would deal with the Borg, especially if he were to be assimilated and then freed like Picard was.

June 2, 2009 5:02:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with you, mooster. I thoguht it was a good movie, but not really Star Trek.

June 2, 2009 5:09:57 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The Borg should still be in the Delta Quadtriant and it shouldn't effect the Enterprise

as we know it. James T. Kirk didn't have any run-ins with the Borg. So, they shouldn't try to

work them in. If anything they need to do a good work up around the Klingons and

the other trouble makers that where around. Also, the Romuleons should be through

into the mix too.

Their is alot a material that can be done with a new series ... If they don't bring in the Borg

or Q ... They should base it more on the original series, but with more detail.

Thats my two cents on that ...

June 2, 2009 5:14:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally i'm rather sick of star trek using alternate realities as a prop to spin off entirely new series/movies as a valid license to just wave around and say "look, I don't have to fit in with the established stories, alternate reality remember?".  Honestly, it's star trek, its famous for whats already been written and thats why most of us were drawn in to see the new movie (imo). It just seems to me like a terrible cop out to just use this movie to lay the groundwork for the inexorable following movies with the ability to write whatever they damn well please because it's an alternate reality. 

Having said that, the borg would be another cop out.  We all know the borg are the pretty much ultimate bad guys TNG and afterwards, but there are plenty of other bad guys pre-borg that could be explore, i.e. klingons, andorians etc.  They don't need to be brought in, and they belong where they were in the series.  Flesh out the hokey stuff from the 70's like BSG did and make it more real.  Bring back the tribbles damnit, make them cool.

June 2, 2009 5:23:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Star trek Enterprise (which I believe came before the original series) I thought included a borg episode.   So even with the 2009 movie alternate timeline they have already encountered the borg.  

June 2, 2009 5:36:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The series needed re-imagining. There's no need to bring in the Borg.

June 2, 2009 5:41:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks for spoiler in title...

June 2, 2009 6:03:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I for one did not like what they did with allying the Klingons and the Federation. The Klingos make much better enemies than allies, and the Romulans would be more likely to suck up to a strong preasance.

June 2, 2009 6:32:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Like many other Sinners I too grew up on the original Star trek and loved it ever since, the tos had deep and profound meaning that connected with society and all of the goals and ills if that time period. However I must admitt that the next generation never could hold a candle to the original and so I didn't watch it except for a few episodes here and there because (Here is the kicker) I thought being a "Pure trekkie " meant that the canon of the original was set in stone(I still do to some extent) and the next gen was too full of arrogant, overbearing and pompus want to be actors! tng seemed to have created an entire new canon from the vision of the original and I simply hated what I  thought was a betrayal of the tos meaning (Always thought that the next gen was full of rich over the hill boys sight seeing on a overgrown space sex hotel!) But years later near the end of the run of tng series I begin to change and saw that there was substance to the next gen. I still think that the star trek franchise should have explored captain Sulu. Most of the movies were below trek standard with the exception of Wrath of Khan.

The New Trek movie in my opinion is a hit I most of the non trekkies who went to see it thought so as well and some of them don't like sifi  but still found the movie entertaining and yet serious for trekkies who have followed the franchise through all of its changes, if the franchise is to remain a viable source of income for the owners and entertainment for the trekkies then change and risk is part of the game     

June 3, 2009 12:49:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think that Abrams has more for us "pure trekkies" than we think he does. From watching the new movie god only knows how many times, i think that we can expect him to not stray from the original underlying theme of the show which is what we all want. Im afraid to say it but i think with out this remake the Star Trek franchise we all know and love would have died. But on another note i think well see some of the wars that the Klingons and the Federation had before they made peace as opposed to the whole borg thing

June 3, 2009 1:20:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If the Timeline is different... **Anything** is possible, even from scratch.

Get over it, already.

I won't miss (or feel deprived of) the Cardassians, the Borgs, the Dominion, the Andorians, the Romulans, the Klingons - name it.

I will even seek out new life & new civilizations and boldly go where, when & why they WANT me to stick along for the entirely NEW ride or not.

June 3, 2009 2:05:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

So, since i never watched Enterprise let me see if i have got this right. The borg found in an "Enterprise" episode send a signal that the cube that is in "Q Who" recieves and that is what makes them set course for Earth?

If i have that right then not only will the events surrounding the Enterprise E not happen but the Borg may never take any notice of the Federation at all.

If, the cube in "Q Who" has no other indication of life on Earth the it might continue on whatever mission it was on prior to receiving the signal...the signal it will now never receive.

That leaves the Federation safe...for now. The Borg no nothing of Humanity in the new timeline. So no attacks are forthcoming, but...it is reasonable to assume that the Borg would have learned of our existence in some other manner eventually and will still send a cube to Earth.

So i agree with Solam (And annatar in that i dont consider Enterprise canon) It may be much later than the original timeline dictated but it may still happen.

Perhaps if the timeline allows it, Voyager will be the first to meet the Borg. That would be unfortunate for them since Janeway would be meeting them without any knowledge or known defense.

Star trek Enterprise (which I believe came before the original series) I thought included a borg episode. So even with the 2009 movie alternate timeline they have already encountered the borg.

It was explained in the OP how that came about through actions from the future. That episode is now rendered mute. The Federation in Abrams timeline have not meet the Borg.

As for being a Trekkie and liking/disliking the movie, i have always considered myself a Trekkie (though i'm not clear on what defines once as a Trekkie, i own on DVD, TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and the 10 movies, that does it for me) and i loved the movie.

I understand that Abrams needed to have the timeline altered for the obvious reasons....fanboys like us.

But further more i think he needed to move away from the traditional Trek movie for the commercial value as well. I want ST to succeed, and if that means changing a few things for it to be more commercially accepted i am fine with that. Success = more movies.

Plus, it has worked. No ST movie has taken anywhere near the international takings at the box office that this movie has, so from that standpoint i think the movie speaks for itself and if a few pure Trekkie's get their feathers rustled then i submit that they were never true Trekkie in the first place.

The success of the franchise is first and foremost the driving issue, without it we would be debating the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

In a forum spectacular, i'm going to agree with Zyx on his point. Reboot, new timeline, let's see some new races. That's not to say i wouldn't mind a movie that brings the Klingon's back as the old antagonist that they were, they were too wimpy by the end of DS9.

"I never liked Klingon's and i never will", is too great of future line to pass up, but, beyond that, let's something new, and not so trekkie....Heaven forbid the movies follow the the original series and tackle real world issue thrust into the context of the future.

Terrorism for starters...The federation has always been so...how did quark put it.."sweet and bubbly?" A revolution from time to time is always a good thing......

Just FYI for the OP.

Posting in the Off Topic forum does not limit this post to SINS. In fact it is available across some 12 sites within Stardockia, i am posting from GC2, as i assume Zyx is as well. All SD sites are linked, so your getting a much wider audience than just the SINS community.

Might be of help for spaceman63 too, as on 11 other sites, "sinners" has nothing to do with a game.... (waits for some religious junkie reading this on Joe User to chine in....LOL)

June 3, 2009 2:33:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Personally, I would like to see a totally new - something.

Star Trek has been done to death. And now it is being done past death.

Aren't there any truly NEW ideas in this generation? Or is it, simply redo the old (over and over and over and over and over again)?!

PLEASE!!!@ Star Trek, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone... on and on.

Has this generation been dumbed down so much that it can not come up with anything ORIGINAL???

June 3, 2009 8:17:18 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Star Trek has been done to death. And now it is being done past death.

Well that be your opinion but $311,936,412 at the box office in 25 days says otherwise.

I agree with your general sentiment but i think Star Trek has some life in it. The last TOS only movie was 17 years ago, i think we can allow some leeway there, it's not like it's Spiderman 4 or another marvel marketing machine endeavor.

June 3, 2009 8:35:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Star Trek XI clearly is non-canon. I won't watch it.

June 3, 2009 10:35:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Raknor,
Star Trek XI clearly is non-canon. I won't watch it.

In your opinion...ok, and i believe your worse off for it, but thats my opnion. I can see where your coming from, i am yet to watch Enterprise, though i will get to it one day.

Canon or not, (though it had Majel Barrets blessing so thats enough for me) it is Star Trek...and that and all it contains is still fascinating.

Let there be more....

June 3, 2009 10:44:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Enterprise.. was okay. You'll probably like the first season because it goes into how it all starts. Then instead of the usual Star Trek way of just telling stories with each episode they decided to do a continuous story across an entire season - which wouldn't have been too bad, if the story was good. But it really wasn't.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000532   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.