The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Should citidel upgrade costs scale with game size?

By on May 31, 2009 9:20:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just an idea I'd like to see some if there's any discussion value in. Should citdel upgrades scale up with map size or player numbers?

Just been thinking that the citidel upgrade dynamic can be quite different in a 5v5 compared to a 2v2. Plainest example I can think of is the currency upgrade but it applies to most upgrades. Currency upgrade 1 costs 1800 gold and gives +4 income per player; in a 2v2 it takes 225 secs to pay for itself but only 90 secs to pay for itself in 5v5.

Same for creeps, the full upgrade path to giants costs 16.2k, that's 8.1k per player in 2v2 or just 3.24k in a 5v5, the bigger maps also have more portals so you get roughly similar creeps-per-demigod for each upgrade on a large map with lots of players as you do on a small map with fewer but at less cost-per-demigod.

This gives the effect that in smaller games you choose items or citidel upgrades carefully, whilst in 5v5 as a team, you can have your cake and eat it by getting both.

If it should scale, at what point should it are the current costs "just right"? I.E are the current costs in 3v3 or 4v4 most balanced?

How sharply should it scale too, I.E should 4v4 upgrades cost exactly twice as much as in a 2v2 or just a fraction more like 25%?

+5 Karma | 2 Replies
May 31, 2009 9:46:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont' think they should scale. 

It's part of strategy for different matchups.

Example: AoE Skills are better when you play against multiple minion builds than against a single Assassin. Building upgrades are better in 5on5 than in a 1on1 against Sedna and so on.

Could write down many pages of this.....

As long as Upgrades are useful or useless for both teams, everything is ok.

Don't change a running System.

Better put energy in connection problems and such.^^

edit: sry for bad english ^^

May 31, 2009 9:36:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Connection problems are handled by a completely different team than gameplay, no reason you can't look at both.

I'm just saying that in smaller matches the the cost of citidel upgrades can take a large proportion of your income whilst in big matches the cost for the same benifit is much more trivial if everyone takes their turn.

I wanted to know if people had thought about it and liked the differing dynamics with different game sizes or if they'd like to see citidel upgrades act more uniformly across game sizes. Doesn't seem to have got much reaction either way though, so doesn't seem to be on anyone's mind much, hence probably a discussion that can wait 'till later.

(Also, I'd dispute the idea of using AoE to kill a general's minions as "doing it wrong", the general themselves are always softer/more dangerous targets. In the time it takes to kill minions with AoE a general can just summon more minions for less mana than the 3-4 AoE attacks it took to kill them. The idea that AoE skills will be more efficient in larger games is a safer, more relevant comparison)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.