The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Queen of Shields (Guide)

By on May 31, 2009 7:38:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

CosMoe

Join Date 06/2008
+25
Locked Post 18 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 31, 2009 12:29:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And you wonder why you can't kill other Demigods? *snicker*

May 31, 2009 12:41:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With this build you can't kill other Demigods if they retreat soon enough.

May 31, 2009 12:57:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Killing Demigods is not the only way you can contribute to a win.

Besides, with QoT you always have a hard time killing people which are retreating early, you don't really have a lot of burst damage and your only slow comes very late and is pretty unreliable.

May 31, 2009 2:31:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

w/e  this is the best QoT guide written yet imo. 

I agree with the author that ground spikes is a nice skill but it also semi-negates the only thing QoT does good because it requires her to change forms and lose tempo.

I disagree with his assesment of how strong bramble shield is in comparison to sednas heal though.     Early game its defintly more powerful but it gets progressively worse as the game goes on.   Armor doesnt effect the damage shields absortion so it will get used up fast as the game progresses.   Also later on Heal actually heals for a little more, cost less mana and has a nice little aoe damage effect.   and Sednas last skill in her heal line has more synergy with sedna in general and is much better at keeping her alive.     heals also can be used when someone is already badly injured to bring them back to full life... with shielding this is not possible.    So if someone has 300 life left then they are stuck that low.. just with shield.

if you are playing QoT as a demigod killer then you shouldn't be allowed to call this author or anyone else a noob imo.

May 31, 2009 3:05:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting will516,
w/e  this is the best QoT guide written yet imo. 

I agree with the author that ground spikes is a nice skill but it also semi-negates the only thing QoT does good because it requires her to change forms and lose tempo.

I disagree with his assesment of how strong bramble shield is in comparison to sednas heal though.     Early game its defintly more powerful but it gets progressively worse as the game goes on.   Armor doesnt effect the damage shields absortion so it will get used up fast as the game progresses.   Also later on Heal actually heals for a little more, cost less mana and has a nice little aoe damage effect.   and Sednas last skill in her heal line has more synergy with sedna in general and is much better at keeping her alive.     heals also can be used when someone is already badly injured to bring them back to full life... with shielding this is not possible.    So if someone has 300 life left then they are stuck that low.. just with shield.

if you are playing QoT as a demigod assassin then you shouldn't be allowed to call this author or anyone else a noob imo.

First off, I really like the original post's strategy guide. Very interesting and I have played her that way, except without using the shamblers in the same way the OP did (I just didn't stop to consider that you could mulch long range like that).

However, I think what makes Sedna and her heals better than bramble shield are a few things:

1.) Sedna is healing at least a portion of the damage which occurs after the armor reduction mitigates some damage. On the other hand, shield is a mitigator but there is not armor reduction for shield. The cumulutive effect is that shield only mitigates a portion of the effective hit points heal mitigates.

2.) Sedna has more passive healing streams generally than QoT

3.) QoT is really mana dependent so you can't spend as much on armor and hp gear.

4.) Sedna almost always has a pounce to go with her healing. QoT's nukes are in the open stance and so she has to stance dance. The stance dancing can sometimes force her to have her flower open in a bad, low hp situation. Sedna, always has her nuke and heal ready for rapid use (pounce plus self heal is effectively a huge "Bite" a la Erebus). As a fight w/ Sedna wears on, she gets the upper hand. Late game Sednas are also fast, so they chase and pounce effectively. Not only that, they can heal thru any tower damage they may suffer while chasing.

I like to go shields early and then ground spikes, spike wave later w/ a few points in uproot. Grounds spikes and spike wave are great for hero kill assists and uproot is great w/ compost. You will take buildings down extremely fast this way.

Going full shamblers/shield is a very defensive playstyle and really limited vs AOE strong classes. I will try it more though after reading the above guide.

May 31, 2009 3:21:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shield just gets worse the more the game shifts from burst damage to sustained high dps. In the early game its great because you can protect people from being bursted down by effectively giving them a larger HP pool. Late game when everybody has high hp and armor anyways, Sednas Heal just outshines.

QoT and Sedna shouldn't be compared so directly though i think, simply reducing it to Heal vs. Bramble. Sedna is more of a Assassin/Supporter combo, while QoT is more of a Pusher/Supporter combo in my view. Bramble/Uproot/Spikes can give a really strong forward momentum in the early and mid game when you support another hero with it.

Imho Sedna is generally percieved as stronger because she works better when you play her like an Assassin. Go in, pounce the other guy and hit him, heal yourself when you get low, kill the other guy. That really doesnt work very well with QoT.

May 31, 2009 5:07:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like this guide as well. its a good way to play QoT under certain circumstances. 

the biggest issue is that its a very team oriented build. if you're not working closely with a strong DG killer like Beast or Regs you might have alot of trouble. this build leans heavily on division of labor. it sets up Queen for lane control, pushing, and support and relies on a partner for anti-DG activity and disrupting the opponent's gameplan. 

May 31, 2009 5:27:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This build is not that bad in 1vs1 either. Just made 2nd place in the ESL Sunday 1vs1 tourney.

Lost versus a Spirit Oak on Prison map, in which he accumulated a gazillion of spirits. The shield didn't last long, and the shambler mulching didn't kill the spirits by a few health points.

May 31, 2009 5:46:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually, on second thought any build that involves relying on Shamblers pretty much sucks. Anyone who is competent will just AoE your shit down and nuke you. Mid to late game all your shields do is prevent the inevitible.

I've played QoT every which way now and she is best with shields early and focusing on direct damage late. Fuck Shamblers.

May 31, 2009 5:53:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We really need replays

May 31, 2009 6:19:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I use a very similar build for the first 10 levels (i prioritize bramble shield over shamblers), but then I aim at getting Goddess of Thorns by level 15 - that involves pumping Ground Spikes from levels 11-14. I think this timing works better, since by level 12-13 you can be in deep doodoo in terms of enemy grunt swarms and you really need that AOE attack to shut them down.

3.) QoT is really mana dependent so you can't spend as much on armor and hp gear.

The advantage of the shield/shambler build is that its much more mana efficient since you arn't spamming Ground Spikes. So you only need as many mana items as any other Demigod (ie 1 or 2).

Additionally, you have a lot of survivability with both shield and mulch.

Still, you are fodder if your team is doing badly since buffed up enemy DGs can chase you and kill you and you lack the skills/firepower to discourage them.

Later on you might want to get Hungarling's Crown or similar items since now you do want to spam ground spikes.

May 31, 2009 6:27:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great guide, thanks! myself. i don't mind switching forms.

+1 for the nice writeup though!

May 31, 2009 6:37:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree

also demigods start the game off with low armor so the fact that shield absorbes full damage isnt that big of a deal.  Later on as demigods get 50%+armor, it starts to make a big difference in its effectiveness.

also if you are worried about your shamblers dieng just leave them in a relatively safe spot so they are around to munch when you need them.    Munch has an extremely long range.

also to note because of the nature of QoTs shield.  it might be wise to not invest too heavily in +armor items.   instead armor that gives you and your minions health bonuses is probably the way to go.   

another interesting thing to note would be Goddess of Thorns skill saying it effects her entire army.  So if all your minions are standing next to each other, say 8 of them thats like 250 extra damage a second enemy demigods are takeing.  Unfortunatly this doesnt come into effect very late game and seems like it would be very difficult to pull off.

June 1, 2009 10:16:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think your cloak of night trick on crucible doesn't work, though.

Erebus' bat swarm has a slightly higher range (at level 3 even double the range) than the cloak.

The distance is too far for the cloak.

June 1, 2009 2:08:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If the trick did not work, I would not have written it.

June 1, 2009 2:12:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, i tried it before and it didn't work. could never get close enough. used the warpstone, though, which has the same reach.

June 1, 2009 2:28:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cloak of Night does work on crucible, in a specific place.

June 16, 2009 11:34:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RapierX,
Cloak of Night does work on crucible, in a specific place.

you is haxx0r ...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000782   Page Render Time: