The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Regulus' mines, are they overpowered?

By on May 31, 2009 1:50:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Recently I've noticed more and more regulus are just tossing minds at peoples feat as apposed to laying traps (like their description and very nature would imply they are used for).   I'm not complaining about the amount of damage mines do, I understand why regulus does so much damage.  But the ability to toss mines at people feat just seems contradictory to their nature.  Mines in real life and in most other games are used for ambushes.  They take time and planning to use and rely and luring an enemy to their position so as to fight them under the conditions they desire.  Just running up and tossing them at someones feat barely delivers the romanticism implied by the name mines.   Why not just make them grenades?  They explode when thrown and do not stay on the ground.
A Mine would require time to bury and forethought as to how to fight the target.
Like I said I'm not complaining about the damage as much as I am pointing out the misnomer

+2 Karma | 52 Replies
May 31, 2009 2:10:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's fairly easy to dodge. Just watch where he places it, back up, and then go around them. Once you close the distance, he is screwed. Reg is a glass cannon. He will not win in a one on one confrontation in which he is being attacked. If you can't reach him... heh... well... that's another story.

May 31, 2009 2:25:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They are not easy to dodge. When reg throws them on your feet you can do nothing but watch them explode as you move.

May 31, 2009 2:42:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you see him about to throw a frisbee you should run.. its usually followed by a large explosion 1 second later.

And they should just be called proximity grenades.

May 31, 2009 2:54:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

move forward or back, not side-to-side - it's possible to avoid

don't attack a mines reg when reinforcements/minions are also attacking

be prepared for nukes and don't use skills if you have MoB debuff - you can't avoid mines if you just cast under MoB

May 31, 2009 3:02:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think at full level they are, refer here as to why:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/353024

May 31, 2009 3:07:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

... possible to avoid but still depends on your walk speed, latency... they should either have their proximity lowered (give you a chance to actually get out of their range), make them prime a few seconds later or make the cast time longer. I always anticipate mines from a regulus but I only manage to escape 20% of the time. Most of the time people just soak up the damage. A skill that definately needs some kind of tweak as there is no reason to take Angelic Fury at the moment as any decent regulus will tell you.

BTW, being able to see invisible items (and actually see the mines), why can't we shoot them or set them off with AOE effects? This is a real bummer.

May 31, 2009 3:37:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Servius,
They are not easy to dodge. When reg throws them on your feet you can do nothing but watch them explode as you move.

I have dodged it many times...

If you notice, the mines don't explode IMMEDIATELY. You have like 1-2 seconds to get out just in time. Yes, it's hard, and yes you have to be quick, but eventually you'll get use to it. Then it is just a matter of closing the gap, and raping. And if you really want to be good, move as soon as you see him throw them... since he is most likely gonna throw them AT you... well.. move in the time it takes from him launching the mines and the mines landing.

May 31, 2009 3:39:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting maxxy,
... possible to avoid but still depends on your walk speed, latency... they should either have their proximity lowered (give you a chance to actually get out of their range), make them prime a few seconds later or make the cast time longer. I always anticipate mines from a regulus but I only manage to escape 20% of the time. Most of the time people just soak up the damage. A skill that definately needs some kind of tweak as there is no reason to take Angelic Fury at the moment as any decent regulus will tell you.

BTW, being able to see invisible items (and actually see the mines), why can't we shoot them or set them off with AOE effects? This is a real bummer.

There is plenty of reason to take AOF. My fave strat is a combo AOF/Mine build. Mines do DPS, and I have my extreme auto attack to back me up. AOF is also extremely useful for taking down towers QUICK in combination with the Range increase. Mines also can be used on buildings. Wins me so many games. And yes, I consider myself a decent Reg player. AOF is very useful.

May 31, 2009 5:13:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it would add alot to the game if you could somehow make a regulus' mines backfire so they didn't use them as much.
For example if you could see the mines and a regulus was standing on top of them setting and obvious trap
Why cant you attack a mine to set it off and therefore damage regulus

Regulus would be less likely to just toss them all over the map and spam them around flags

May 31, 2009 6:21:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regulus shouldn't really be able to throw them like grenades at such a big range, mainly because it has the biggest burst damage in the game for a skill (correct me if I'm wrong.)  of 1800 at level 10 which hits multiple targets and causes a large amount of slow, while I realise it's not that unbalanced if they're used as mines it's quite a different story with grenades.

I think they either need a slightly longer arm time after they hit the ground, or a shorter range (5yds instead?) so reg can't just drop them onto people from his auto-attack range.

May 31, 2009 6:29:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ow double post.

May 31, 2009 6:32:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Argh, mines at max level only does 450 x 3 = 1350 damage, it is same as TB's fireball maxxed with "Fire and Ice"

And you can kill towers as fast as AoF Regulus.... just throw mines at towers while attacking. Yes, mines work againt building as well, and they are quite effective (since buildings cannot dodge)

With this Regulus is probably only one demigod that can actually counter tower rook.

May 31, 2009 10:53:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My problem with Regulus mines happens to be twofold.

1) He can use them as grenades. Sometimes I can dodge this, but usually I wind up taking a fair amount of damage. Usually the amount of damage tends to leave me with enough hp for me to die via snipe.

2) If I can see them I can't do anything about them. Oak flags and Regulus mines should be destructible by attacks... Unless I'm a general, but this means that Assassins are at a disadvantage versus a mine-based Regulus.

Argh, mines at max level only does 450 x 3 = 1350 damage, it is same as TB's fireball maxxed with "Fire and Ice"

Yeah, but Regulus can throw down six mines total and they can be stacked. If you happen to step on that then your in for a world of hurt.

May 31, 2009 11:11:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just running up and tossing them at someones feat barely delivers the romanticism implied by the name mines.  

haha I see nothing romantic in killing someone w/ mines. But I think the current use as grenades is fine. It is so easy to defeat a Regulus by just running up to his face and owning him. But when you add in the constant fear of being literally tore apart with mines it makes people more hesistant and think twice before charging in. So they can either pay a price to get me or disengage and I think that is important to the Regulus class.

May 31, 2009 11:19:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

An increase in the time from placement to detonation would be a good idea i think. They're currently a little too easy to use as grenades.

May 31, 2009 11:42:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the easiest fix for regulus' mines is to make him actually have to be where he wants to lay them, not be allowed to "throw" them. Who throws explosives around? Make him place them on the ground near his feet, it means he cant just stand back and throw mines into the enemy, that way he needs to think about where he is placing them more.

If the throwing strategy is prefered, because placing mines does mean regulus has to get into range alot, perhaps make the timer before they explode longer so that it is possible to run away from them if they land at your feet. People say it is possible, but even if you run before they land they still get me, there is too much going on to even be that fast most of the time, you just go "oh crap, mines" and then boom, massive damage and slows, meanwhile regulus hasn't even come in range for you to attack him yet.

May 31, 2009 11:51:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The regulus mines are fine, he can only effectivly throw them only so well. He can only really "grenade you" mainly when you are right next to him, and if you are right next to regulus, being the weakest character in the game, you should be able to tear him up pretty fast.

Like I said I'm not complaining about the damage as much as I am pointing out the misnomer

As a previous poster said, would you rather name them proximity grenades?

Now, no disrespect to the op, but why do people make posts about ability names? I remeber one saying fireball should either do splash or be renamed firebolt, another one said icestorm should not do splash or be renamed blizzard, who cares what the damn ability is called?

May 31, 2009 7:26:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting themadmanazn,
The regulus mines are fine, he can only effectivly throw them only so well. He can only really "grenade you" mainly when you are right next to him, and if you are right next to regulus, being the weakest character in the game, you should be able to tear him up pretty fast.

As a previous poster said, would you rather name them proximity grenades?

Now, no disrespect to the op, but why do people make posts about ability names? I remeber one saying fireball should either do splash or be renamed firebolt, another one said icestorm should not do splash or be renamed blizzard, who cares what the damn ability is called?

I dont think the examples you suggested have quite the degree of misdirection as this one does...
I guess I am claiming they are OP, but not as much in damage as functionality.   They are mines but they can be used as grenades, charges against buildings, proximity mines, and snares to slow opponenents.
Their like a swiss army knife that explodes, its extremely difficult to combat them at high levels considering their almost always coupled with snipe.

May 31, 2009 7:42:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My problem with Regulus mines happens to be twofold.

1) He can use them as grenades. Sometimes I can dodge this, but usually I wind up taking a fair amount of damage. Usually the amount of damage tends to leave me with enough hp for me to die via snipe.

If your talking about how he uses them as "grenades" then if you get hit its only your fault. As soon as you see him start the animation or throw the mines move out the way and it simply wont hit you. And bang, he has just wasted time chucking mines.

2) If I can see them I can't do anything about them. Oak flags and Regulus mines should be destructible by attacks... Unless I'm a general, but this means that Assassins are at a disadvantage versus a mine-based Regulus.

if you have one general on your team, get them to buy level I minataurs (for something like 350). Use them to scout/detonate mines. You make mines completely useless if you do this.

Not just that, Stardock/GPG have been kind enough to chuck in some 50g totems that allow you to see them. If you can see them, why dont you just go around them?

May 31, 2009 7:44:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Many things in this game are like swish army knives. Most abilities effect buildings, heros, and creeps. Most do things other than damage, whether it be slow, reduce armor, incrase damage, etc. Regulus is no exception to all those other hero and their abilities.

difficult to combat them at high levels considering their almost always coupled with snipe.

And like most demigods, if you have to run, you are prolly dead... unless you are damn fast.

June 1, 2009 1:10:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its very possible to get triple mine blasted if he throws them at a creep wave that you're standing in the middle of. if your reflexes are good you can possible walk out of the blast area in time and maybe only get hit by 1 (or if you're lucky 0) of the mines. 

if you're alone though, its pretty easy to get out or just move in the correct direction. you can get out of a mine trap and only set off 1 of them if you move perpendicular to the line of the mines. 

June 1, 2009 2:08:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They are very annoying.

But OP?

I haven't really found em to be that yet. Just ... can't be RAMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO into mines. Doesn't work. Even in real-life. (Don't believe me? Try it!)

June 1, 2009 2:12:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ugh, not another demigod...   please

Erebus was the first demgod to be adjusted. People were happy for a week and then the "mist is OP" threads started.

Regulus --

"OMG how can you defeat three Regulus with coordinated snipes"

"Its not fair that he can snipe across the map" 

"a AF reg with crit gear, ash, or mageslayer is OP"

"mines are OP"

"Range is OP"

I'm a little worried about the nerf bat when too many people think Regulus is OP for too many different reasons. What will be left of Regulus if both his mines and snipe are nerfed/tweaked (judging by the amount of threads started on these two skills). 

June 1, 2009 2:20:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay I guess I will speak up as a Regulus abuser but they do seem too useful.  Think of a 3v3 battle on prison. Its 3v3 in the middle and our tank leads the way. As their main melee units are approaching I throw mines ontop/slightly infront of my tank. My actions of throwing the mines are hidden by my teammates or at least a lot less noticeable. And I dont have to use them at any certain point so it is really hard to tell. Those mines are almost guarenteed to hit and I can use them twice in a battle. That+MoB is huge AoE damage.

I think a .5 second timer to 1 second would be a fix but if mines are only used as a mine is used in other games they would be a lot less useful and Regulus wouldn't be able to stand up to other DG's

June 1, 2009 8:14:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The mines need a half second or so longer arm time since as proxy nades they are a touch on the strong side. It's not a big concern atm though since I haven't seen many people use them overly well. Once nading becomes common place however then itll need fixing fast.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000718   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.