The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

rage quitters should LOSE favor points

By on May 30, 2009 5:27:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I mentioned this in one of the dev journals just now, but I figured i'd put it in its own post too. 

Right now, one incentive for not rage quitting is that you won't be able to get your favor points for playing out the game to its finish. I'm still seeing a ton of rage quits though. I don't think it would be a bad idea for a person who rage quits to lose some of their previously earned favor points. 

They do something kinda like this in halo 3 on xbox live. In halo 3, if you win a game u get an "experience point". If you lose, you dont get anything. If you disconnect from a game before it's over, you actually lose a point. Also, when you try to quit a game, the "leave game button" doesn't say something nice like "are you sure you want to leave? (yes or no)" it says something along the lines of "Are you sure you want to leave? (Yes, I'm a quitter. Penalize me.  or   No, I never give up on my team)". 

I'm not sure if halo has some way of differentiating between disconnects and rage quits, or if they just decided to make the penalty small enough to where nobody would really get too upset if they got disconnected and got the exp penalty.

I'm not proposing an enormous penalty, maybe just a small one like 10 to 25 points deducted. 

+6 Karma | 24 Replies
May 30, 2009 5:44:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem is that when you lose you only get 10 or 20 favor points from sticking it out. If you know your team is going to lose, it's better to quit early. You save time and you can potentially gain a lot more favor points by playing a new match.

The solution is to make losing favor 50% of winning favor. So you still have an incentive to win, yet there is also an incentive to sticking it out.

Also, my connection is fine but sometimes I would randomly get disconnected from everyone else for no reason. There has to be some kind of mechanism to tell between quitting and disconnecting.

May 30, 2009 5:50:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the idea of having an incentive to stay in game.  However, I'm not sure favor points will work.  At some point you just have all the favor points you really need.  I would rather see something like starcraft does, where you have a visible star rating, and your record is displayed upon joining a game.  So if you join games and people notice your 10-0-124 (10 wins no loses 124 disconnects/rage quits), its hard to get people to take you seriously.

May 30, 2009 6:16:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InsightSoul,
The problem is that when you lose you only get 10 or 20 favor points from sticking it out.

Wrong, you can earn 10-60 depending on how you performed and how long the game lasted.

May 30, 2009 6:24:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wrong, you can earn 10-95 depending on how you performed and how long the game lasted.

May 30, 2009 6:30:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So your drug free huh?

May 30, 2009 6:40:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting McShane87,
Wrong, you can earn 10-95 depending on how you performed and how long the game lasted.

Wrong, you can earn up to 110 favor from a losing game. I'm too tired to post my picture, but you should find it if you search my posts in this forum.

May 30, 2009 6:46:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Favor is worthless, eventually you will have all the items either way.

May 30, 2009 6:46:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What happens if the person quits because his or her internet died?

May 30, 2009 6:47:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting McShane87,
reply 4

Wrong, you can earn up to 110 favor from a losing game. I'm too tired to post my picture, but you should find it if you search my posts in this forum.

Lol impressive, I knew someone would top it.  I just got 95 in a loss in my last game so I was compelled to say something.

May 30, 2009 6:57:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have an number of lost games recorded because of game disconnections, not everyone rage quits. Please don't take favor points off me as well.

I think this is why frogboy is looking into a karma system.

You can earn 110 favor points from a losing game, a game full of noobs anyone.

May 30, 2009 7:10:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

absolutely. Rage quitting should result in a match Loss, as well as a loss of favor points.

May 30, 2009 7:30:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the resent patch, I`ve played 2 games where Demigod froze my PC.  I had to shut off the power supply to restart the machine.  I had 2 disconnect`s added to my stats.  Does that make me a Rage Quiter.  I stick out every game.  I`ve thought it was hopeless, Stuck with it and came back to win.  How do you seperate Rage Quiting and Demigod Borking my PC?

EDIT: I`d like to add both of those lock ups happened mid to late game.  To the other players it would look like I quit.

May 30, 2009 8:11:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe increase the favor gained for Participant? To say 50? At any rate, playing a stacked game can be sooo frustrating at times. I RAGE when someone in my team has 0-10. I don't QUIT though, because I know it sucks when someone leaves, but sometimes I wish there was a less painful way of leaving a game you no longer wish to stay in. I really hope they enable the Concede option sooner.

May 30, 2009 9:11:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First, Makerz, go youtube "Stephen Lynch super hero".

OK then, I know a legitimate problem with losing favor points for rage quitting is that disconnects look like rage quits now, and disconnects don't really deserve to be penalized. I believe Frogboy mentioned that they are working on ways to differentiate between quits and disconnects, so maybe that would make this idea more feasible. He did mention that people tend to find ways to trick the system into thinking that they disconnected rather than left the game (unplugging their router or something). 

I gotta admit, I am open to the ideas of incentives to play a game out other than favor points. Because you guys are right, eventually people will have ALL the items anyway. Heck, I could afford em all right now, but I think thats b/c the system was bugged? I mean I play a lot, but I seem to have way more favor points than I remember collecting.

May 30, 2009 9:19:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is definatly a stupid post considering the game still has
A shit ton of connectivity problems.

there is a million reason for someone to leave a game.  Most of the time its not even on purpose.

May 30, 2009 9:36:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Theoretically winning only gives you 60 more favor points, but in practice 99% of the time the winning team won because they outleveled the other people, which means someone on their team automatically gets the achievement for levels, gold, kills, and most likely they get it for reinforcements killed, citidel upgrades, structures... ect. It's kinda hard to outdo the winning team in most ways... and still lose.

May 31, 2009 2:21:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Alpha492,
This is definatly a stupid post considering the game still has

there is a million reason for someone to leave a game.  Most of the time its not even on purpose.

Wow. Really? Could you list all million reasons? The connectivity issues are only going be improved on, and I seriously don't think that its not on purpose most of the time

Besides, I mentioned the disconnects issue in my OP...maybe I did it too indirectly people who can use big fonts though.

May 31, 2009 2:33:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

there is no effective way of discriminating between rage quits and disconnects/crashes, because people can force disconnects/crashes

anyway, i think there needs to be more base favor from just finishing a game

sure its possible to get like 50-90 favor when losing.. IF you are the top player on the losing team... the other guys probably only get 10, or 25 at most.

10 is bupkis. meaningless.

50 for participant, 100 for winner, then awards favor

or howabout scaling favor gain by game length

May 31, 2009 3:21:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting drugfreeboy,

Quoting Alpha492, reply 15This is definatly a stupid post considering the game still has

Wow. Really? Could you list all million reasons? The connectivity issues are only going be improved on, and I seriously don't think that its not on purpose most of the time. 

Besides, I mentioned the disconnects issue in my OP...maybe I did it too indirectly people who can use big fonts though.

lol okay fanboy ur right this game is 100% no connection problems here

May 31, 2009 3:31:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It won't matter to lose favor points after they've already acquired all of the favor items they need. Hell, they may already have so much favor points they don't even care.

It wouldn't work. Sorry.

May 31, 2009 3:46:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the record...   Halo does not differentiate between quits and disconnects.  It penalizes all who leave the game, and when you get to higher ranks, the consequence seems absofuckinglutly rediculous.  Its knocked me down from rank 48 to 44 in one game before.
Which takes like 10 lucky first place games in a row to recover from.

June 1, 2009 3:36:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alpha, I didn't say that the game has NO connectivity issues, and the point of this discussion wasn't to focus on the technical difficulties the game is facing right now because we all hope that they will be fixed. 

Proto, I agree that my idea wouldn't "solve" the rage quitting issue, because everyone will eventually have TONS of favor points. Personally, I already have so many that I don't even consider what I spend them on (but I'm not sure if thats due to the bugs). I just was suggesting it as a small extra incentive to not quit.

It wouldn't solve the problem, but maybe it wouldn't hurt. That's sorta where I was originally trying to go with this.

June 1, 2009 5:09:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am willing to live with the fact that some innocents will be caught up in the penalty.  I too have been subject to random crashes, net splits, etc. which force me to disconnect, but those are fewer and fewer each patch.  The penalty should apply to rage quits, however, which by my definition is something that happens only within the first 5-8 minutes of the game when someone quits before the outcome is undisputed.  After that, a quit is basically a concession and should be treated differently.

June 1, 2009 5:34:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally I think that as long as I see a GG before quitting it's not a ragequit.

I just don't like that conceded games leave the winner with an unsatisfying clean-up job while the loser can start a new game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.