The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Please restrict item slots to specific types

By on May 29, 2009 4:10:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't you find a Demigod wearing two helmets rather silly? How about five chestpieces? Three weapons?

I know people will crack jokes about this, or be upset that their infinite mana combo doesn't work anymore.

But even if this is by design, it surely sounds like a design flaw.

So, please:

Make item slots restricted to one item per type and draw a proper symbol in the slot for that type.

+5 Karma | 18 Replies
May 29, 2009 4:22:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That would totally remove just about all of the strategy in items. No thanks.

May 29, 2009 4:28:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I see no reason why i cant wear a battle helmet. Over that, i place a wizards hat, and around the hat i place a crown. Imagine the looks

Gloves and boots arent that hard to figure out - you just use one boot from each

May 29, 2009 4:53:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If it was a design flaw, I'm sure they would have caught it by now.  I think I remember reading the lead designer on the game talk about this coming up, and them deciding this way opened up more options and play styles.  Personally I prefer it this way.  C'mon, admit it, you want to play a Rook with the two speed boots, the speed cloak, a wand of speed, and the swift anklet favor item.  And if you don't, then you haven't tried it yet

May 29, 2009 4:54:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is a video game, the whole bunch of simetrical maps seems totally unlikely but hey, that is the only way to have a balanced gameplay.

As for the helmets, there was a debate amongst the devs: some wanted to use glyphs (or enchantments i am not really sure of the name used).

Glyphs allowed the stacking without problem but at the end, the devs decided to go for the equipement in order to make things easier for the newbie (if i want to have more mana, i buy an helm, more hp an armor.....).

Just cope with it, it is just a game. I don't see why i would receive 2 golds each time i kill a minotaur, but that is just how things are in this game.

May 29, 2009 5:03:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The equipment was designed this way so it was easy to know what to buy. Want more mana? Get helmets. Health? Get Armor. It was a clear design decsion rather than overcomplicate things with silly names. There is no character modification for each item, so who the hell cares if you are wearing 5 helmets or not. This is a video game, not real life.

tl;dr
Stfu, play the game, cry less.

May 29, 2009 5:16:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that wouuld be pretty difficult.  there are  helms, boots, armor, gloves cloaks, weapons, rings, then favor items kinda of randomly fall into different catagories. but the problem is youve already got more than 5 items here and anymore mighth just be to many

May 29, 2009 7:57:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Fred_Bonaparte,
It is a video game, the whole bunch of simetrical maps seems totally unlikely but hey, that is the only way to have a balanced gameplay.

As for the helmets, there was a debate amongst the devs: some wanted to use glyphs (or enchantments i am not really sure of the name used).

Glyphs allowed the stacking without problem but at the end, the devs decided to go for the equipement in order to make things easier for the newbie (if i want to have more mana, i buy an helm, more hp an armor.....).

Just cope with it, it is just a game. I don't see why i would receive 2 golds each time i kill a minotaur, but that is just how things are in this game.

Aha, thank you for the explanation.

But in my mind, as a newbie, it wasn't "easier" at all, because intuitively, I would never had considered trying to buy two weapons or two armors, because of fear that I would loose the first one. It wasn't until I heard from other players that you could do that, that I tried it.

So, at least to me, glyphs would have made more sense. There could have been "combat glyphs", "mana glyphs" and "special glyphs" or something, if they wanted to make understandeable categories.

May 29, 2009 10:03:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah i would also have prefered force glyph, spirit glyph and so on. I imagine that the devs have chosen the equipements over the glyphs because anyone can understand that an armor will increase your defense but a newbie seeing glyphs would be wtfing.

Still, equipements << glyphs. Just have to live with it^^.

May 29, 2009 10:05:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sometimes you need to let go of certain types of logic (in particular logic regarding fashion) when playing a video game.

May 29, 2009 10:46:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Given the relatively small total number of items, restricting items by type would reduce the variety in item builds.  Unless they add more items this is a bad idea.

May 29, 2009 10:51:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Qieth,
I see no reason why i cant wear a battle helmet. Over that, i place a wizards hat, and around the hat i place a crown. Imagine the looks 

i've learnt to ignore those plebs who can't get my style.

i'm a triple-hatted BAMF, deal with it.

May 29, 2009 11:01:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting eobet,

But in my mind, as a newbie, it wasn't "easier" at all, because intuitively, I would never had considered trying to buy two weapons or two armors, because of fear that I would loose the first one. It wasn't until I heard from other players that you could do that, that I tried it.

So, at least to me, glyphs would have made more sense. There could have been "combat glyphs", "mana glyphs" and "special glyphs" or something, if they wanted to make understandeable categories.

I actually agree with the glyph point, that would have been more intuitive.  When I was newbie though, I saw that helms were still available for purchase after the first one(they weren't redded out) and stacked away .

May 29, 2009 11:02:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't you find a Demigod wearing two helmets rather silly?

to be honest i do.

there should be a limit to what you can stack on a single demigod, i mean 7k(or more) HP on a rook... dont you think that its abit silly when you can take on 3v1 at the same time?

or atleast make it so that you buy one of each particular item for each slot increasing the stat you want. e.g. if u want mana items you should be able to buy a helm for mana, a chest piece for mana,legs for mana, gloves for mana and a trinket for mana?

May 29, 2009 11:06:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i mean 7k(or more) HP on a rook... dont you think that its abit silly when you can take on 3v1 at the same time?
Health stacking is one of the easiest things to do in this game; any DG can get really high health. That said, if you can take 3v1, or even 2v1, then that's just a skill level difference.

May 29, 2009 12:29:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about some magical logic ? 

There magical items and thus have  magical properties having them in a belt tied to your waist would grant the user the game effect . 

Secondly its easy to see somebody wearing three types of chest armor ,  a cloth armor draped over by chain mail , covered up by plate.

As far as the emo foofighter stated Hp stacking is silly , its noticable when a hero is going to stack hp , you gang bang and tag team the crap out of him early keeping his levels low and gold low. Also  there is enough stun and disable if cordinated to lock up almost any hero.   Your fault if you feed the monster , id be much more worried of a well fed Reg then a rook any day over 800dps on reg with mage and askandor and cloak who can smoke your 6k hp in 10 seconds then of a hp stacker.

May 29, 2009 1:11:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you look in the manual it says specifically that the tournament takes place in a spirit world.  Meaning the items are not physically real and allow a demigod to "wear" multiple items of the same type.

May 29, 2009 1:23:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The power of the reading rainbow prevails !

May 29, 2009 1:30:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the system is fine IMO

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.