The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Improving Pantheon

By on May 28, 2009 4:03:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. The Problem

Joining pantheon games can be frustrating because

(+) There is nothing to do while you wait, and

(++) impatient people often give up once a game has already been created, leaving an odd number of players (even before the game starts). The matchmaking system will not add people to the game, resulting in a 2v1 or 3v2.

2. A Solution

The long wait time has somewhat been improved recently by the addition of how many people are looking for games. A nice addon, but what I would like to see is the number of people on each side that are looking for games, eg.

There are currently

4 people on the light side

2 people on the dark side

looking for a game

To further solve issues (+) and (++) from above, I propose that when a game is created in the pantheon, players would join a special pantheon lobby, which would be very similar to a custom game lobby, aside from a few key differences.

1) Players would only be able to see demigods on their team, the other team's demigods would appear as question marks.

2) Instead of a ready button (don't need it for pantheon games) there would be a display showing each player's rank and experience.

3) All map details would be hidden.

Special Pantheon Lobby

This Pantheon lobby system solves problem (+) because it allows players in the game to chat with each other - similar to custom games - while they wait for people to get connected. It partially solves problem (++) because players will be less likely to be impatient if they have something to do while they wait.

Now, what if a player does leave? The beauty of using a lobby system like custom games, is that players could join them on the fly. The matchmaking system could open and close slots as demand for games increases and decreases. In addition, if someone gives up on the game, players will not be stuck with a 2v1 or 3v2. They can simply wait for another person to join.

3. Discussion

I really like the idea of pantheon, but I've never played a pantheon game with more than 3v3, and even 3v3's are rare. I'd like some input on what other people think. What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of my idea, and do you have any other ideas of your own?

+2 Karma | 4 Replies
May 28, 2009 4:27:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Until the ranking data is more accurate, and (as I'm not aware if it does or not) the system matches you based on rank/experience I believe that it could be a major detterant for people to play if they were to see the opponent's rank/experience before the match.  

I believe the lobby is a great idea for a simple fix, I don't believe that you should be able to communicate with your allies/enemies as it can readily defeat the purpose for a 'tournament' system they have created in this mode. (provides no detterants for abuse of the system) - I.E. joining the same party as friends or making sure you're never paired with someone below a certain rank.

Players will find a way to abuse or will use every advantage possible to them in order to win in most cases as if nothing else they do not want to be stuck with a poor partner or they are concerned that the opponents will be doing thusly.

Essentially......I believe they need to make it more like the Halo matchmaking system where it shows that you have players connected/can't communicate (Note this is shown in connection info already...but I believe they need to take out the ability to see other players' names)/within a small period of time before the match goes to start it DOES NOT ALLOW you to back out.

May 28, 2009 4:40:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Euandros,
Until the ranking data is more accurate, and (as I'm not aware if it does or not) the system matches you based on rank/experience I believe that it could be a major detterant for people to play if they were to see the opponent's rank/experience before the match.  

I beleive this is a worthwhile and efficient fix in terms of team balanace and connection problems in that sense, however I was always under the opinion that since Pantheon is a 'random matchmaking system' at this point that you should NOT in any way shape or form be able to see who your teamates or opponents are...and it is already being abused with the connection information at this point.

I believe the lobby is a great idea for a simple fix, I don't believe that you should be able to communicate with your allies/enemies as it can readily defeat the purpose for a 'tournament' system they have created in this mode.  

Players will find a way to abuse or will use every advantage possible to them in order to win in most cases as if nothing else they do not want to be stuck with a poor partner or they are concerned that the opponents will be doing thusly.

Essentially......I believe they need to make it more like the Halo matchmaking system where it shows that you have players connected/can't communicate (Note this is shown in connection info already...but I believe they need to take out the ability to see other players' names)/within a small period of time before the match goes to start it DOES NOT ALLOW you to back out.

I hear you, but I have no idea how random pantheon mode currently is because I have no idea the rank of the people I am playing against. I like being able to see who I'm playing against. If I win against a higher ranked player it makes me feel good, and if I lose against a higher ranked player I don't feel so bad. Anyways the whole idea of pantheon is to match you with people who are similar rank to you. How will we ever know if this is successful unless we actually see it?

Being able to chat with your team in advance will help improve teamwork. I'm not sure how people would exploit that.

I think the main thing that I would like to see is some form of a lobby, and the ability for the matchmaking system to replace people who leave before the game begins, avoiding the 2v1 and 3v2 scenario.

May 28, 2009 4:47:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting hoogamaphone,

I hear you, but I have no idea how random pantheon mode currently is because I have no idea the rank of the people I am playing against. I like being able to see who I'm playing against. If I win against a higher ranked player it makes me feel good, and if I lose against a higher ranked player I don't feel so bad. Anyways the whole idea of pantheon is to match you with people who are similar rank to you. How will we ever know if this is successful unless we actually see it?

Being able to chat with your team in advance will help improve teamwork. I'm not sure how people would exploit that.

I think the main thing that I would like to see is some form of a lobby, and the ability for the matchmaking system to replace people who leave before the game begins, avoiding the 2v1 and 3v2 scenario.

I think that after it has locked you into a match and would count as a disconnect or some such business then you should be able to see the opponents' rankings.   In addition, after you have locked into a match there is no harm with being able to communicate either.

The problem with team chatting in advance at this point is it would still allow you to make sure that you were paired with a pre-arranged team.   Once pantheon is more stable and there are more users, in addition to if it starts matching you with similarly ranked players, then this won't be as much of a problem.

I believe locking people in (when it is in the process of connecting to create a game) until the matchmaking system decides it cannot create a game (in example it makes so many efforts or tries for a certain period of time) would be the best route. 

As it stands now, I'm not sure how the 'eject' works when you're looking at the connection info in pantheon, and the fact that when it is just about to create a game and someone can leave as the game is made is a problem.   Since if you're impatient for example you might hit cancel and then blam right as the game is created you lose your teamate...something to that effect.

The point I'm getting at is that as this is not supposed to be clan matches or arranged team matches I believe this would be a highly hazardous move.   I would just continually reconnect until I could rest assured I had a quality partner.....and...so forth.  

Right now I can play 11 matches, win 7 have 2 show up as losses because there was some sort of wierd disconnect, and actually lose 2.   Plus, if I could choose it, I'd never play with low experience players as it seems the rate of experience loss when you lose to one is extremely high (judging from my experience).

If you choose to join pantheon at the same time as a friend, at this point you can easily place yourself in the same match just by disconnecting and connecting til you are together.   I don't want to see teams unbalanced further as I'm sure this idea would do....however it has a quality premise...which is to make it so you don't ever get 2v1 and so forth.

May 28, 2009 4:52:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I like the idea of "locking in" players, and not revealing anything until all players are locked in.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.