The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Brad’s May Demigod FAQ

By on May 27, 2009 8:53:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greetings!

we get letters… And so here are some answers to some frequently asked questions:

Q: When is the Demigod demo coming out?

A: Soon.   Stardock and GPG are working on it.  Probably in the next 3 weeks.

Q: What will the demo have in it?

A: It will be online only (but you will be able to play AI players). It will have 1 map and 4 of the Demigods is what we’re thinking right now. Should be enough to get a taste of the game and make sure the online experience works well for those players.

Q: Speaking of online, so where does that stand?

A: Pretty good.  For custom games it’s fine.  For pantheon and skirmish less fine.  The proxy servers have helped tremendously.  We are nearly done with a rather cool (well I think it’s cool) smart proxy server chooser thingy (that’s a technical term) where, based on your IP address it figures out your latitude and longitude and then maps it to the nearest proxy server.

You still have some people who just will not, cannot talk to each other. I’ve personally seen it.  They can connect to other people but they can’t connect to each other.  Bear in mind, this happens in most RTSs. The difference with Demigod is that we have the connection dialog and we let people in the lobby as soon as they connect to the host.  If this were a different RTS, what would happen is you’d be in the lobby just waiting for more people to show up and thinking no one liked your game.  Anyone who’s ever played an RTS has certainly seen that.  Now you know one of the reasons why.  But in Demigod, it was decided that the host should be able to decide who stays or goes if someone can’t connect to someone. There’s pros and cons either way.

Now, in Pantheon and Skirmish, it’s a different story. There isn’t a “host” per se so if someone can’t connect to another for whatever reason, that’s a problem.  We’re working on a different way to create skirmish/pantheon games to resolve that.

But overall, at this stage, if you’ve played RTS’s before, you probably won’t have a problem with Demigod.  At this point, I would say that (especially for custom games) more people can connect in Demigod than in most RTSs because most RTS’s don’t have proxy servers.

However, that brings me to the next point.

Q: You say Demigod’s online play is fine now but I have a problem.

A: For that I say go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and check your upload speed.  Demigod requires a broadband connection defined as at least 256 kilobit upload and download to reliably play a 5 on 5 game.  A 3 on 3 game requires about 120 kilobit (about twice what an old phone modem does).  v1.01 should reduce this well below the threshold of low end connections.  But if you get a speedtest rating of less than 256 kilobit, you should stay with 3 on 3 games max unless you know how to make sure you’ve turned off other sources of uploading.

For example, it seems like everytime I run into someone whose complaining about “high in game ping even though it was fine in the lobby” it turns out to be someone with a DSL line that has 128 kilobit upload who also has a torrent seeder going on.  Don’t do that.

Also, we have not given up on “edge” cases.  The team at Stardock and GPG keep coming up with clever ideas to help more and more people. 

Q: When is Demigod v1.01 coming out?

A: Ideally Thursday but no promises as this week is a shortened week in the United States (Memorial Day was on Monday).  There’s a lot of changes in v1.01 so we have to do a lot of testing with it.

Q: When are more Demigods coming out?

A: We are discussing that topic this week with Gas Powered Games. Obviously we would like to see sooner rather than later.

Q: How are sales of Demigod?

A: The coupon we sent out has kind of muddled the stats since obviously sales were off the charts this past week digitally.  At retail they’re pretty close to what Sins of a Solar Empire did but the digital market has continued to grow which is making it harder to do apple and apple comparisons.

Q: When will Demigod be released in <insert country here>

A: Atari is handling Demigod outside North America. I’m not sure what the specific country data is.  You can visit Atari at www.atari.com for more information for your specific locale.

Q: What about more maps?

A: This is something we’re particularly interested in too.  I would personally like to see some duel maps (1 on 1).  I’ll have more info on this soon.

Q: <Demigod that beat me> is overpowered.

A: No it isn’t.

Q: <Player who beat me> is cheating.

A: No he isn’t.

Q: What are some things YOU (Brad) think Demigod needs to continue being popular long term?

A: I’m just speaking for myself here but these are some of the things I’ll be pushing for:

1. More Demigods, more maps.
  2. Better community features. Ways to make it a more positive community.
  3. Ways for pros to play pros and casual players to play casual players
  4. Networking diagnostics built into the game to improve online experience for non-techies.
  5. More items that provide strategic depth.
+912 Karma | 67 Replies
May 27, 2009 12:17:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nice!

May 27, 2009 12:35:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

May 27, 2009 12:35:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DemiCom,
Because of the "upload problems" :

Are there any plans to kick the P2P-system in future and change to a "real server system" ?

Most MP games are using real servers and they haven't any problems with slow uploads...

people who spent money in DG wont play 3vs3 forever, best games are 4vs4 or 5vs5 !

the problem is, that there are many networks including 2-5 computers.

I can't say to my family that they must stay away from INet activitys because I want to play a game with a shitty P2P solution instead of real servers.

As has been stated elsewhere, most FPSs use dedicated servers while most RTSs (like WC3) use a peer to peer model. Battle.net is a system to let you find other players. It is not a network of servers that host games for you. When you play WC3 or DoW2, you are playing peer-to-peer.

May 27, 2009 12:48:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Airforce,

Most of strategy games are using P2P...

But theres Difference between "DG" and the "other strategy games":

normal RTS are focudes on 1v1 / 2v2 / 3v3

DG is focused on 3vs3 / 4vs4 / 5vs5

-> and thats why the P2P system sucks with DG if you have poor upload speeds !

May 27, 2009 1:26:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

[quote quoting="article"]
For custom games it’s fine.[/quote]

It's not fine for me.  I know I'm in the minority here but it's not fine.

[quote quoting="article"]The proxy servers have helped tremendously.[/quote]

Proxy server don't seem to do much for me, with or without using /serverproxyonly.

[quote quoting="article"]You still have some people who just will not, cannot talk to each other...Bear in mind, this happens in most RTSs...Anyone who’s ever played an RTS has certainly seen that.[/quote]

I haven't seen it to this extent that I've seen in Demigod and I've been playing mainly RTS and FPS games for about 10 years now.

[quote quoting="article"]But overall, at this stage, if you’ve played RTS’s before, you probably won’t have a problem with Demigod.  At this point, I would say that (especially for custom games) more people can connect in Demigod than in most RTSs because most RTS’s don’t have proxy servers.[/quote]

I have a problem and this game is definitely not better than any RTS I've played in terms of actually being able to play with real people.

Now I'm trying not get pissed here brad.  I bought the game on April 23, it is now May 27 and do you know how many games I've managed to play online with people?  Like 8 total.  5 custom games and 2 pantheons from May 12-13 and I finally managed to get into one custom game yesterday, 2v5 AI.  The game is not working fine for me and instead of telling me it works fine, I hope people are still working to fix it.  Now before people start telling me the problem must be on my end, it's not.  I know what I'm doing.  On my pc, I have no firewall or antivirus installed and I have windows firewall disabled.  My PC is not infected, I use Hijackthis as well as other scanning programs along with not doing idiotic things that may infect your PC.  I have nothing using up my bandwidth and I have enough upload bandwidth.  My router is not the problem as I've tried setting my pc as the dmz, forwarding all the ports, disabling spi filterting, and unplugging the damn thing and hooking up the modem straight to my desktop.  My ISP isn't the problem.  I play all my games just fine, pc or consoles/handhelds.  If Demigod is a game that doesn't work for some reason because of my ISP, that's quite some feat you've accomplished there.  So telling me I'm doing something wrong and/or that the game is fine really makes me angry.  I hope there are more fixes coming because at this rate it seems like I won't be able to play Demigod at all.

May 27, 2009 1:50:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have sort of a general question... My upload speed, cpu, ram, and gpu are all about twice as good as are reccomended (optimal, not minimum), I'm playing on all-medium settings in a windowed 1024X768 resolution, and I'm still getting a really low sim speed in some of the larger maps, online. Is this to be expected?

May 27, 2009 2:07:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I LOL'd for real. Love dry humor like that.

May 27, 2009 2:41:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any plans to fix the quit bug?  Aka, quitting a game freezing everyone elses computer for 30 seconds?  It gets pretty ridiculous when you have to remake an 8 man game, and some unlucky soul has to wait three and a half minutes to even quit.  At least let us quit during the lag window.

May 27, 2009 3:08:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dielan,
It gets pretty ridiculous when you have to remake an 8 man game, and some unlucky soul has to wait three and a half minutes to even quit.

First off that's not part of the game stardock can effect, however if you want a trick, it takes less than three and a half minutes to force-quit the game and restart it. How do you think some people quit at that screen?

May 27, 2009 3:16:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would like to see an option in custom games to kick people with a low sim speed that are lagging the game and making it unplayable. 

May 27, 2009 3:54:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Q: What are some things YOU (Brad) think Demigod needs to continue being popular long term?

A: WERE RELEASING A MAP EDITOR TO THE COMMUNITY SO EVERYONE CAN HOST THERE OWN MAPS ON CUSTOM GAMES! 

Oh how I wish some times.

May 27, 2009 4:04:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome, awesome... oh, and more awesome! just like usual Frogboy

May 27, 2009 4:24:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The smart proxy business has made my gaming day. My one Demigod problem at the moment is getting a US proxy when I am in New Zealand which means connecting to an Australian players ends up being a bad experience because the latency goes up to 550 when it should be 100.

Yay, cheers Stardock. Looking forward to that fix coming out.

New maps would be awesome. Cataract is getting boring

May 27, 2009 4:39:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Airforce,
Fred_Bonaparte

Jaxianreply 11quoting postQ: <Demigod that beat me> is overpowered. A: No it isn’t. Q: <Player who beat me> is cheating. A: No he isn’t.I agree that we often see people complaining about balance issues or cheats that aren't real issues or cheats.  But at the same time, it would be foolish to think that the game is perfectly balanced and that no one could ever cheat, and a blanket response like this seems very odd to me.
the p2p nature of the netcode makes it very harder for cheaters (even if you manage to pull a cheat, you also have to find a way to do not have your fat ass kicked because you are now desync, and that it not trivial to do)
And yeah the balance is not perfect (erebus probably shouldn't be able to bat swarm to the flag on crucible and on that same map, tower farming is a wee bit too powerfull) but 95% of the balances/cheats posts come from players that just got owned and refuse to question their skill, they have just lost, it must be either a cheat or an inbalance, because they are frickingly awesome, they can't just lose!

Most of strategy games are using P2P...

most aren't 5v5

May 27, 2009 4:45:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is some kind of Joke? why does everyone on this damn Impulse site think Demigod runs fine? Screw the new Demigods fix the damn game! i just red in this post that multi and Panth have been running fine. Niether run fine nor have they every run fine......EVER!! quit blowing smoke up you own asses and FIX THE DAMN GAME!@!!

May 27, 2009 5:06:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A: I’m just speaking for myself here but these are some of the things I’ll be pushing for:
More Demigods, more maps. Better community features. Ways to make it a more positive community. Ways for pros to play pros and casual players to play casual players Networking diagnostics built into the game to improve online experience for non-techies. More items that provide strategic depth.

Better UI?

May 27, 2009 5:08:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ucutme,
Is some kind of Joke? why does everyone on this damn Impulse site think Demigod runs fine? Screw the new Demigods fix the damn game! i just red in this post that multi and Panth have been running fine. Niether run fine nor have they every run fine......EVER!! quit blowing smoke up you own asses and FIX THE DAMN GAME!@!!

Stardock/GPG: We will fix the game.

You: FIKS THE DAMN GAMEZORS LOL!!1!

May 27, 2009 5:12:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ucutme,
i just red in this post that multi and Panth have been running fine.

No you didn't

May 27, 2009 6:16:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More Demigods, more maps. Better community features.Ways to make it a more positive community. Ways for pros to play pros and casual players to play casual players Networking diagnostics built into the game to improve online experience for non-techies. More items that provide strategic depth.

Yay! (but don't forget about replays)

You say Demigod’s online play is fine now but I have a problem.

In my case is not a small bandwidth problem. If you remember my thread about lag spikes, i've updated it today:

• Same machine, ISP 1 -my default ISP- (0.90Mb/s upload), game spikes in 4v4 matches.
  • Same machine, ISP 2 (0.30Mb/s upload), game doesn't spikes in 4v4 matches. (yes, it works on the slower connection! ping ~300, but no spikes)
  • Tried on two very different machines (one desktop and one laptop), same results.
  • On both ISPs, p2p torrent traffic works 100% and it isn't throttled.
May 27, 2009 6:33:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's a bit vague.

Could you be a bit more specific?

May 27, 2009 6:38:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My friend has 108kilobit upload speed according to speakeasy.net/speedtest, pretty piss poor I know but he can't even play 2v2 w/o unbareable lag.  1v1 is fine and 3 players in a game is pretty good.  I am hoping he'll be able to 3v3 after this patch cus living in the boonies he has little options or money for an internet upgrade.

May 27, 2009 6:47:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

RE: Coupons. 

I have yet to recieve mine and did in fact buy and register it via Impulse prior to the cutoff of May 10th.  Should I give it some more time or contact support?

May 27, 2009 6:50:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And this is why I'd like for a way to see what other gear people have equipped!  Not only would it help new players, it could quite possibly cut down on the two questions above.

If I'm able to see that the UB has Mageslayer + 2 other gauntlets, etc, etc it could really help explain WHY an enemy demigod feels really powerful.  (Maybe even showing a total about of gold spent on current gear). 

This of course does not address the fact that an enemy demigod might just be higher level than you... but imo that is pretty obvious due to everyones level being displayed.

-Jara

May 27, 2009 6:57:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's completely accurate, nothing in the game has ever been fixed, everything crashed yesterday with no explaination.

May 27, 2009 7:10:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ucutme,
It's completely accurate, nothing in the game has ever been fixed, everything crashed yesterday with no explaination.
What was going on at the time? Did you just finish a game? Was one loading? Were you in the lobby? Etc.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.