The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Cute Guide to Demigod (image heavy)

For new players and the lulz!

By on May 25, 2009 8:15:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Greetings stranger!

There are a lot of guides for all kinds of situation but this a special guide. I recommend reading it after you lost a match, maybe it will cheer you up a little. New players might find one or two useful tips. I hope you enjoy it!

1. Learn the basics!

Read the manual, guides, try different builds and find out which abilities are useful for your demigod.

Check out the: Compilation of Demigod Guides by Sean0883!

You will find several very good tutorials and guides to various so called 'builds'. This will save you a lot of time to figure out what abilities to pick and which items to buy.

I can really recommend the DemigodDB (thanks a lot UhelligGudn)!

2. Game Mechanics

Try to understand how the mechanics of Demigod work. Which abilities stack (stun + UB's Foul Grasp), how war rank works, how much damage minions do, criticals, cooldowns...

3.Teammates

Try to work toghether as a team and be nice to your fellow players!

Sometimes even unusual combinations can work out if you try hard enough.

Don't shout at at the other players or lecture them, the chat is there to help you coordinat attacks. Nobody wants to get his ear chewed off! A friendly word of advice for new players might be welcome though.

Don't be offended if your teammate seems to bark commands at you. He doesn't want to waste time and 'go right' usually means: 'Dear Sir, I wan't to go to the left lane, please be so kind and cap the flag on the right side, there will be cookies after the game.'

4. Spending Money

Money is crucial. (What a unique and little known concept...) It gets  you the items and citadell upgrades you need. Even more important than to earn money is to deny your opponent money! Don't die when you can help it! The gold upgrade in the citadell is the first thing you should buy at war rank 3 - if your team can afford it. (If you are falling behind you might want to go for an item that buffs your stats or your towers first though.)

And for the Alllfathers sake don't buy the death penality reduction upgrade in the citadel! If your team dies a lot you wan't something that makes them stronger and not something that sends them back faster to get killed again!

Some items are more useful than others. Read up on the stats and don't buy something you might regret later. There are a lot of shiny objects that will only eat up your hard earned money.

Do you really need the Heart of Life or an artifact? Would it make more sense to get a citadel upgrade (Catapults, Giants!) instead and a few health potions and one or two flag locks?

5. Your Starter Kit and the first minutes

You start with just enough gold to buy the most essential items and once you have picked your favor item you are stuck with it. If you play a general get the Monk Idol for 900 gold! Nothing is more valuable than to bring you own medic to the fight!

You can cast your minions and resell the Idol for 80% (right-click on  it in the shop). This will give you enough money back to get another useful item like the Banded Armor (550 gold). Some might say it is a cheap trick but for now it is a valid game mechanic.  This unintended behavior of idols was removed in patch 1.10. The Monk Idol is still a very good choice for most Generals.

You might want to check out the 550 gold mana helm (Scaled Helm) if you play a mana heavy demigod (Torchy). The +4 mana boost is nothing to write home about but the helm gives you a higher base mana capacity (+525) and you might be able to squeeze out another spell or two before you have to return to the crystal.

A worrior needs armor! A good choice is the Banded Armor, it increases your health (+400) and gives you a small (+5) health regen at the same time. With 550 gold you have still enough for a teleport scroll, potions or the Gauntlets of Brutality!

There you go, fits perfectly!

If you are outnumbered or you think you won't win this fight, run!

It's better to turn your tail and run than to deliver First Blood to the other team! Should you die despite all your efforts don't quit! If you are clever and a little patient you can get back into the game without problems. Besides, if you only stick around when you are winning anyway you'll never get better! Cap a flag and farm some XP if you think you are outmatched and try to get back into the game.

Don't forget to go back and visit the crystal in time! If you have slain your opponent and are low on mana get a refill. When he comes back he will have full health and mana, are you strong enough to repel him again in a weakened condition?

Early Citadel Upgrades:

While you visit the health crystal make a little detour and buy a citadel upgrade. Your towers could use a little buff to withstand the onslaught of creeps. The two upgrades at the top will provide your towers with some health regen and additional hit points or more damage. Both level I upgrades are well worth their money and you should buy them early on.

Now the early creeps have no chance to make even a dent in your fortifications!

Woudn't it be nice to rise through the ranks faster, or to have a level advantage over your opponent? How about getting that level 5 ability you wan't so badly a little earlier? Invest 1200 gold in your citadel and buy the +10% experience upgrade! You will be one step ahead of your opponent and the more players are on your team the more it will pay off.

The other team will be in awe how fast you gain your levels and you can dominate them! Buy it as soon as possible, it won't help you if you wait until you are level 19...

6. Midgame

You have slain the enemy and plundered their dead bodies and fortifications for money. Now it is time to spend more of your hard earned money!

Maybe you have enough money to buy some more expensive gear. A good choice might be to grab one of the more powerful mana helmets, the Vlemish Faceguard. It costs you 1750 gold but it is worth every penny!

The Plenor Battlecrown for 1500 gold has a higher additional mana volume but the +70% regeneration usually only pays off after you have increased your base mana regen to a higher value with another item.

Once you you can buy both mana will be no longer a problem for a while!

If you play a close combat demigod you want something to protect you from all the blows you recieve. Meeting new people on the field of honor takes it's toll! You might have picked up the Banded Armor already but if you are lookin for something special, take a look at the shoe tab!

The Unbreakable Boots are just what you were looking for! They will not only give you an additional 600 health and +5 regen but also +800 base mana. Thats enough for two healing spells (Sedna) or a Circle of Fire and a fireball! Careful though, don't inhale too deeply!

Citadel Upgrades, Scene II

You have secured some cash and you are on your way to buy some new equipment and hug the crystal. Hold it right there! Do you really, really need that armor you were planing to buy right away? There is one citadel upgrade, the mother of all upgrades so to speak and you have to buy it! It will help you to win in a 2v2 and in a 5v5 it will literally pay for itself in under two minutes. What am I talking about? The Currency Upgrade I (yup, the gold bars).

Let's do the math: The upgrade adds +4 gold per second. Not impressed yet? It does it for every player on your team for the rest of the game, that's 240 gold per player per minute. That is one free Narmoth's Ring for everybody on your team after 17 minutes. Or in a 3v3 enough gold to buy Catapults and Giants after 15 minutes! And I'm not even taking into consideration that you might get a few kills more because your team will have better equipment during the whole game. Buy this as soon as you can afford it, I often sell some cheap item if I don't have the 1800 gold on me.

The best way to go is if the most successful player on your team buys it at soon as it becomes available. If he is tied up somewhere or failed to buy the upgrade buy it yourself. There is one exception to the rule: If you think you can't stand up to your opponent and you need one crucial item to turn the tide. In that case get the item, farm some additional gold and come back to buy it as soon as possible.

Teamwork

There are many ways to work in a team. The more obvious ones include ganking an opponent with two demigods, healing an ally, investing in the citadel. Why stop there? You can drop items on the map by right-clicking on them in your character interface (hotkey'C'). Your ally can pick them up and either resell them for 80% or use them himself. Your ally is feeding the Unclean Beast? Drop a small health potion and type: 'For you!' Maybe he get's the message...

Or it's a great way to say thank you to the Sedna or Queen of Thorns player who saved your sorry butt once again. Drop a mana potion and say: 'TY!' Sedna/QoT can't have too much mana after all. Or you can coordinate buying creep upgrades. The amount of money required to go from Archers to Giants is immense but it's a very nasty surprise for the other team. Don't forget to buy flag locks too! It's amazing what you can do if you work together.

(TY for the pic Sean0883!)

Useful item combinations

You have heared of so called 'builds'. Here are some items worth their money you might want to buy if you need to boost a stat.

Speed:

Damage:

(TY for the pic Sean0883!)

Health/armor:

Mana:

+46 Karma | 26 Replies
May 25, 2009 8:16:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Reserved.

May 25, 2009 10:19:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I disagree with the 550 mana helm, I almost always get it for mana dependant characters, but otherwise nice guide.

May 25, 2009 10:28:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That was not what I was expecting but way too cute. Good one.

May 25, 2009 10:40:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Scaled Helm is more important for the 525 base mana rather than the +4mana/s. At level 1 thats another spell or two, plus unlike potions, it can be resold, getting like 350 gold back later.

May 25, 2009 10:49:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Made me smile

May 25, 2009 2:21:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I rephrased the part about the Scaled Helmet a little and added 2 more pics. Thx for the input guys!

May 25, 2009 3:00:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

neat guide. Scaled Helm is great though. alot of Demigods can continue using it well into the lategame. +4 mana regen is actually not at all a small amount. it equals the 1000 points of a combat mana potion in 250 seconds (about 4 minutes). if you're going to be away from base for >4 minutes at a stretch its probably best to get the helm. 

and as was already mentioned, it can be easily resold so the net gold loss on the helm is only 20% of its purchase price, or 110 gold. after you've resold it you ended up spending much less than even 1 combat mana potion. 

conventional tactic is to by Scaled Helm for the first 5-7 minutes or so then sell it and buy a Vlemish Faceguard instead. very mana heavy builds probably just keep it in addition to Vlemish. Sedna, TB, QoT, and certain builds of Erebus will do this since they're so mana hungry. 

May 25, 2009 3:20:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Must. Add.  Guide.... Cuteness..... Overwhelming....

May 25, 2009 3:41:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, I changed the text for the Scaled helmet again.

As explanation why I don't think it's worth it's money: I play Oak. It's much easier and more useful for me to sqeeze my HP and mana out of a few unsuspecting Minotaurs with Devine Justice thant to get that helmet. I guess this experience clouded my judgement a little...

I added 2 pics about armor. Now I'll go to our local waterhole, darn weather makes my thirsty! Cya guys later, cheers!

May 25, 2009 5:24:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since this is for new people, I believe that it needs to have a few more pictures..!    When you mention an item, take a picture of the icon of that item.  Otherwise, they'll have no idea what you're talking about and may be toggling back and forth from the guide to make sure they got the name right.  Buuuut, if you include a picture of the item they'll be ready to rock and roll!

May 25, 2009 6:01:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't be offended if your teammate seems to bark commands at you. He doesn't want to waste time and 'go right' usually means: 'Dear Sir, I wan't to go to the left lane, please be so kind and cap the flag on the right side, there will be cookies after the game.'

Good to know. By the way, what does it mean when your teammate says "RTARD! U FUCTUS!!!!"?

May 25, 2009 6:14:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice guide, although Rocky_Tooth its not as if its hard to get lost in the items categories in this game. There really isn't a TON to choose from nor is there like Recipe mixtures like in Dota.

May 25, 2009 7:24:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe that it needs to have a few more pictures..!
I was thinking the same thing. May I steal them from the DemigodDB? No worries, I won't hotlink them Uhellig, I promise! Pwease!!!

By the way, what does it mean when your teammate says "RTARD! U FUCTUS!!!!"?
He probably means: 'My dear friend, please fall back to a saver position. Your current playstyle exposes you too much to the Spit of that Unclean Beast that has been waiting for your return.'

He could also mean: 'We are losing this match and it's my fault mostly. Please don't hold it against me, I'm still trying to learn the basic rules of human interaction and you can't expect me to be a valuable teammember at this critical time.'

Or maybe it's a cry for help? 'Dear ally, my caps lock key is stuck and so are some other keys. Please help me, my miserable performance in this game is only partially my fault.'

Maybe he has a stroke? You might wan't to consider calling an ambulance!

It's hard to tell sometimes. Usually a quick glance at the profile and games list will clear things up though. I recommend to look at the win/loss ratio and the corresponding number of disconnects...

Thank you guys for the Karma! I'll try to find more pictures for the guide and add a few tips. Please feel free to post suggestions, tips or some cute pics of your own!

Gotta go to bed now, my boss might take offence if I don't appear bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for some reason.

May 25, 2009 7:56:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OrexxerO,
Nice guide, although Rocky_Tooth its not as if its hard to get lost in the items categories in this game. There really isn't a TON to choose from nor is there like Recipe mixtures like in Dota.

That is true, but we are speaking of beginners here.  It's a whole new breed of brains that may not have the power of us superiors!

May 25, 2009 9:13:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 Karma for making me imagine hammer slamming that hamster.

May 25, 2009 9:29:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think Azrail is gonna shit himself weak with cutesy delight when he sees this thread.

May 25, 2009 9:39:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What a cheerful post !

May 26, 2009 2:46:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 Karma for making me imagine hammer slamming that hamster.

Do you have no soul man?!

May 27, 2009 1:35:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The poor hamster!

I added a few item icons and added and exchanged one picture. I have a hard time finding good pictures for citadel upgrades...

I'll try to get some new pics up later but now off to work! (inverse YAY!)

May 27, 2009 10:51:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

totally awesome thread.

May 27, 2009 5:45:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More cute, more lulz, more tips! 7 new tips and pics for you to lol at.

A big THANK YOU to Sean0883 for some very nice pictures!

And thank you guys for the comments, karma and support!

May 27, 2009 5:51:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the recognition .  I never remember to give karma, so I'll do it now while im thinking about it..... Done .

May 27, 2009 6:54:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nothing more ² say

May 29, 2009 1:18:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice guide

June 8, 2009 7:02:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesomeness incarnate

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.