The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod brain storming

By on May 24, 2009 7:51:56 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It’s hard to believe, given everything Demigod has been through, that it’s only been available for about a month!

This week we’ll be putting the first significant update to Demigod through QA to see if we can get it out this week. v1.01 has all kinds of improvements to make the experience AFTER you get into a game much better.

But there’s some things we’re going to be looking at doing to improve the online experience before you get into a game.

Here are some examples:

1. We’d like to have the connection information dialog also display a performance rating. This is an issue that people are familiar with all the way back to the Total Annihilation and Starcraft days.

2. We’d like to display the skill rating right in the connection dialog. This will take a bit of doing on our part but I think it’s worth doing. That way, you get into a game where it’s 4 buddies ready to keep crushing 4 random guys and you can see what you’re getting yourself into.   It will encourage much more even games.  Few people like an imbalanced game experience.

3. Net connection quality.  Games usually just display ping.  But ping isn’t enough.  As we’ve seen from the Speedtest thread there are a surprising number of users who have incredibly poor connections (think barely better than 56k modem).   Some DSLs have 1megabit downstream but less than 150kilobit upstream.  There’s no way that person is going to have a good experience in a 5 on 5 game. And they’ll bring down everyone else.  So we need to find a way to calculate that and display it.

4. Karma.  Okay, this is a controversial thing to have so we’d love to hear from you guys on the best way to find out if a particular user is a griefer.  No system is perfect but I am sure we can think of  a way to make it so that people can do something about that.

Connection info in game

Another thing we’d like to do is have a way to easily make people in your games friends so you can grab them later.  We’ll be doing a lot of things in the coming months with the friends system. We hadn’t originally intended to deploy the Impulse friends system in Demigod at all as it was being designed as an Impulse Phase 4 feature but it became apparent in beta that we needed some way for people to interact. So you’ll see that sort of thing evolve a lot going forward.

+912 Karma | 116 Replies
May 24, 2009 8:00:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

karma or rating given by players is .. well.. lets just say that in dota i have seen at least million "i dont like you because you kill me too much, you are banned" situations. same happens with rating/karma/etc.

and most times, nobody cares to add karma if player is good, but all players would take karma for even smallest things.

edit: leaving game(not disconnect, not leaving in first lets say 2minutes) could lower skill rating. or create some number which would be effected by user stats. won/lost/left game . i dont mind if someone is trashtalking me(ignore or mute "to all" chat by host would solve this), but i do mind if someone is rage-leaving after 1st kill/death. or after 40minutes of game.

anyway, i hope you will get this right. its pretty hard to create some system which couldnt be abused.

May 24, 2009 8:15:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This sounds really awesome tbh
But...

Where are the damn replays!!!!! We need them and we need them fast. So many amazing games going to waste that cant be reviewed and so many VoDs and broadcasts people want to make but cant because there are no replays or observer mode This game will never launch competitevely if there is no replays/observer mode.

May 24, 2009 8:44:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can I suggest that the host name be displayed somewhere in the lobby.  Most recently, there have been times when I needed to disconnect and reconnect, and I don't recall the name of the game "us west coast", or "west 3v3".  I know I could chat this before reconnecting, but this is just a "nice to have".

Thanks,

M

May 24, 2009 8:53:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dalkz, you of all people know that I can only comment on things that we have control over.  Overservers, Replays, are all things we've requested to Gas Powered Games but it's ultimately their call.

By contrast, the features I mention here are things Stardock can do.

May 24, 2009 9:09:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

make karma simple

completed games give karma, early quits lose karma

maybe 3 complaints lower karma...

May 24, 2009 9:13:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For karma, you can do something like is done in the forums.  Give positive karma only maybe?  While it wont actually show bad players, seeing a player with high ranking or stats but 0 karma could shed a little light.

That, or have it so that karma has to be corroborated by other players from that game.

May 24, 2009 9:16:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,
This sounds really awesome tbh
But...

Where are the damn replays!!!!! We need them and we need them fast. So many amazing games going to waste that cant be reviewed and so many VoDs and broadcasts people want to make but cant because there are no replays or observer mode This game will never launch competitevely if there is no replays/observer mode.

Says a gamereplays.org Demigod mod          

May 24, 2009 9:18:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea, I wouldn't want Karma to be all or mostly user generated, that's seems like a huge area of abuse.  But yea, something like completed games give karma, early quits that aren't disconnects subtrace (but maybe takes a couple to actually do that, some things like family stuff do interrupt at times).  And user given/taken karma can count, but very low because I know I'd hate to get bad karma from some 12 yr old that's ticked off he lost.

May 24, 2009 9:32:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More demigods! Frogboy, could we get some comment from Gas Powered Games on any plan to add new Demigods? Would extra Demigods cost money? How often will new Demigods be released? So many questions!

May 24, 2009 9:38:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think maybe you might want to put in Sim speed as well, if that is at all possible.  A lot of people like to know if someone is gonna be really slow in-game.

May 24, 2009 9:43:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not really a fan of in-game karma. I guess it could turn out okay, but I'd rather people have personal banlists. Are those that too mean-spirited?

May 24, 2009 9:55:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

negative karma is needed, but maybe it can only be lost by rage quiting

May 24, 2009 9:56:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Clan Wars Replays!1111

Ha really I would like this game to get competetive but there is a lot holding it back. Those are nice features though

May 24, 2009 10:01:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems a bit early to be doing these things when the game is still crashing to desktop in games (often everyone on one side crashes out), freezing on game launch, booting you out of lobbies you're already connected to, and just general freezes wile navigating around the menus and game lists in multplayer. The game is certainly much better than at launch, but getting and playing through a game is still too much hit and miss.

May 24, 2009 10:08:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems a bit early to be doing these things when the game is still crashing to desktop in games (often everyone on one side crashes out), freezing on game launch, booting you out of lobbies you're already connected to, and just general freezes wile navigating around the menus and game lists in multplayer. The game is certainly much better than at launch, but getting and playing through a game is still too much hit and miss.[

We're discussing features/changes Stardock, the publisher can make.  The things you mention are things that the game's developer (Gas Powered Games) is already looking at.

May 24, 2009 10:12:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy: You need to put some info in a signature, for the people who lack the initiative to do some research on your position.

-What if there was a basic tutorial that explained what port forwarding is, and all of the measures you can take to insure proper connectivity. If you watch this 5 minute guide then there is a mark beside your name, saying you have watched it.

May 24, 2009 10:15:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

damn, ppl just dont understand the role of stardock vs the role of GPG

May 24, 2009 10:16:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree with Vladesch. It seems to me that issue #3 is paramount. What good is having all these game tweaks and modifications when a lot of folks still cannot connect faithfully and/or complete a game without lag crashing. First things first - this game is still a connection nightmare and more more people are starting to write it off. If you want a healthy online community, the connection issues must be resolved ASAP.   

May 24, 2009 10:20:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

humane please read all of the posts before posting.

May 24, 2009 10:20:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I seem to recall that Version 1.01 also has improvements which (hopefully) help players (like myself) who are still unable to connect to an online game. Is my recollection correct ?

May 24, 2009 10:24:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don`t know whos responsibility it is and i don`t have the game yet(because i cannot use it as long i am not at home) but i generally miss one feature in Internet games. If my Internet connection is lost for a couple of seconds(and sadly that happns every 100-150 minutes or so) I i always get dropped out of most games(e.g. Supreme Commander so i assume its the same with Demigod). In Warcraft however i could even rejoin the game after over 20 seconds(If noone presses the drop button). I think thats an important feature for people who have an unsteady internet connection like me.

To the Karma System: It does not matter if bad loosers give bad Karma, As everyone is treated equally you can still tell the difference between a kind player and a badass. The badass will have even more negative points/played game.

I suggest you get one Karma point for every finished game that lasted at least 30 min. (No matter if you win or loose). So if you play fair but have no particular contact to the other players you get your Karma point. If you mess with them you can get none, or even loose some if there is more than one Team unsatisfied(Or your team partner) with you. E.g in a 2vs2vs2 you can loose 2 Points(1-3) or gain 4 Points (1+3). Most likely you will get 1 or 0 Points if no one cares about giving Positive karma.

May 24, 2009 11:05:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

-1 Karma for leaving the game early

+1 Karma for winning a game

+3 Karma for losing a game.

Really, what you need to do is reward players for sticking it out.  Can't just award completed games, because most people will stay in for a game they're winning, thats not really all that impressive.  Most people you'd want to play with will stick it through no matter what.

Also though, the biggest way to fix this is to have a rating system.  That way even if they do rage-quit, your rating gets better.  This will matter much more though when there are clan wars.  Right now, with random teams its too easy to screw someone over.

May 24, 2009 11:06:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More interesting in online play connections being fixed

May 24, 2009 11:11:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

replays are key in any competative game..got to have a point of reference and to see some crazy good games..only way youll build up a player base..also people bitching about issues need to realize that this is stilla  new game and no new patch

May 24, 2009 11:19:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I feel like karma should be used for something more universal than the endless concession debate.  I would rather see people who constantly insult and put down their teamates lose karma rather than people who say gg and quit a few minutes before an inevitable defeat.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.