The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[REL] Skills not working fix

By on May 24, 2009 12:20:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WARNING: This will not work online through Impulse. You can use GameRanger or Hamachi to make use of this.

Also, since this mods gameplay, all players in the game must have this mod installed.

Created for version: 1.00.0114

Features:

Are you sick of trying to Pounce on a fleeing enemy only to have your Sedna sit there doing nothing?  Sick of being cursed by your team-mates for not healing even though you tried?  Ever want to break your keyboard when Erebus fails to use his bite?  This mod fixes these problems.  Skills should always fire correctly when using this mod.  Enjoy

Download link: Savefile

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1) You must have Sorian's Mod Manager setup in order to use this mod. More info on this here: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=408370

2) Once you have the Mod Manager setup, extract the folder "SkillsNotWorkingFix" (including the folder itself) into your 'mods' folder in your dgdata.zip folder.
eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Demigod\dgdata.zip\mods\SkillsNotWorkingFix

3) Startup Demigod.

4) Enable the mod in the Mod Manager.

5) Play singleplayer or a lan game, as mods do not work through Impulse as of yet.

+79 Karma | 88 Replies
May 24, 2009 12:50:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What does this do/modify exactly? If you (or whoever created this fix) have fixed it maybe this is something the devs need to check out ASAP!

May 24, 2009 1:21:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, if this actually does fix the problem, it'd be a good idea to let the devs know because apparently they are quite baffled because it's hard to reproduce.

May 24, 2009 1:47:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hard to reproduce?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It happens to me a minimum of 5 times a game, assassin or general.

Edit: karma +1, I wish I could give you more. Do you want my coupon?

May 24, 2009 1:52:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

totally hope this works. sick of clicking pentinance 10 times in a row only to find out my oak just stands there playing with his own @#$%.

May 24, 2009 2:22:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

some random guy fixed it before the game company...lol

May 24, 2009 2:28:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I pm'd GPG the details of the bug so hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.

Here's the bug in a nutshell - when you target a skill on an enemy that you are not facing, your DG will turn to face them before firing the skill.  The skill activation code essentially says:

Code: c#
  1. Engine.StartTurnTowards(target.Position());
  2. while (not Engine.IsFacing(target.Position())) { wait(); }
  3. FireSkill();

An astute reader will wonder what happens if the target moves while you are turning to face them?  Well, what happens is you have only told the engine to turn to where the target was when you clicked the skill.  If the target has moved then it could happen that you finish your turn without ever facing the target.  If this happens then the code above hangs forever waiting.  If your target happens to turn around and move in front of you, your skill will activate all of a sudden.  Only other way out of the hang is to issue a new movement order, which essentially cancels your skill activation.

The problem is most common when you are very close to your target, since a tiny movement by the target causes a large change in relative direction, making it easy for him to move out of your turning field of view.  If you are turning clockwise and your target is moving clockwise then you hit the bug.  If you are turning clockwise and your target is moving counterclockwise then you do not hit the bug since he will cross in front of you at some point in your turn.

This mod essentially changes the code above to:

Code: c#
  1. Engine.StartTurnTowards(target.Position());
  2. while (not Engine.IsFacing(target.Position()))
  3. {
  4.   if (not me.IsStillTurning()) { Engine.StartTurnTowards(target.Position()); } // we finished our turn without finding the target.  turn some more
  5.   wait();
  6. }

Keep in mind the actual code is alot more complicated than the above which is why the bug is not easily seen when looking at the real code.

May 24, 2009 2:58:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't believe this.

After bringing to UFO : ET the best mod ever, he is back and fixing the biggest bug in the game right now !

BMAN FOR PRESIDENT !

May 24, 2009 3:02:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FINALLY!

May 24, 2009 3:29:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha it's still hilarious that someone not payed for his time by GPG or Stardock has a fix and an actual cause and solution to a problem that's plagued this game forever.

Kudos!

May 24, 2009 3:31:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tiny4Ever,
some random guy fixed it before the game company...lol

Yes Tiny, for the 100th time, we get it. There is no escaping your endless onslaught of DG bashing on IRC and forums. Funny you are still around with all the negativity towards DG and its devs/mods. You probably have no understanding of how programming works either. Which means you have no idea how hard it can be to find problems like that. Which means you are...........

May 24, 2009 5:00:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FidelCastrol,
I can't believe this.

After bringing to UFO : ET the best mod ever, he is back and fixing the biggest bug in the game right now !

BMAN FOR PRESIDENT !

Ha, you beat me to the punch. If you look around, you'd notice that Bman has stuck his brilliant hands into modding more than a few games!

He definitely gets my vote!

May 24, 2009 6:15:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brilliant!! Someone deserves a new car for this, cough bman

May 24, 2009 6:32:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wohoo nice work!

May 24, 2009 6:52:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rofl, that's priceless. Good work. Hopefully they can use your experience to fix it in 1.01

May 24, 2009 8:12:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that's just so hillarious...when I heard ' we are looking into this bug but it's very complicated to locate it' I thought, hey, this must be a long, complex code. But looking at those 3 lines of code (and I'm no C master), makes me laugh...

May 24, 2009 8:23:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keep in mind the actual code is alot more complicated than the above which is why the bug is not easily seen when looking at the real code

May 24, 2009 8:28:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good job bman!

Can't say how many kills I missed because of this bug. I hope we get this fixed in the next GPG patch too!

Thanks a lot!

May 24, 2009 8:28:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

doesnt matter, if he did it, then devs shoul've seen it too.

May 24, 2009 8:40:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Archon Saar,

Please don't post when you clearly have no idea how coding works.

May 24, 2009 9:32:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Archon Saar,

Keep in mind that GPG has been working under massive crunch for several months now (before and after release).  Sometimes it takes a set of fresh eyes to find a problem.  And given that they couldn't repro the problem themselves (I can't say why, since it seemed to be a very common problem), they had no idea where in the code to look.  Makes it hard to debug.

I've had the problem enough times to suspect it was related to turning and so I knew what section of code to look at (well...I knew what section of code to look for...it took a while to find the section related to turning...).

Anyway, don't knock GPG too much.  This is an excellent game marred by a bad MP design, which as I understand it, is Stardock's problem since they are the ones that built Impulse Reactor.  The in-game bugs are few and this is the only really annoying one.  they did an excellent job QA'ing the actual gameplay.

May 24, 2009 9:59:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to question why his mod appears to be written in C, where all mods are in Lua.

However, all of you people who say that the devs should have found it earlier, well, frankly, you don't know wtf you're talking about. Assuming that he really has fixed the problem in it's entirety, and trust me, things are never that simple, then the devs have a LOT more code (the entire engine) that they can also look in. He's limited to looking in the Lua.

He's also not fixing a thousand other bugs.

May 24, 2009 10:29:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the mod is written in lua.  My example code above was just some pseudo-code and I have a tendency to use C-syntax when writing pseudo-code since I prefer it over lua syntax.

May 24, 2009 10:32:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice work

May 24, 2009 10:38:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll say just this:

GPG, please release the SDK to the people and be done with it.

Ffs, this bug was from the beta and it was reported back then and it's still not fixed 1 month after the game was released. And now some dude fixes it? Lol.

May 24, 2009 10:50:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is no SDK.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.