The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Keepin it Classy: Player's Code of Conduct

By on May 23, 2009 2:42:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is a shout out to all the class acts who play DG. i played with a few of you tonight and had fun even when i was losing to you. you were a good loser even when I beat you. you know who are you.

You're a Classy Guy. You've got style and grace. You're a good opponent and a good team-mate and a fun guy. Here's why:

edit:

the revised, abbridged, slimmed down and simplified list. 

1) you don't rage quit.

2) you don't bully or talk trash.

3) you're not a sore loser or an arrogant winner.

4) you've bothered to learn the basics of gameplay.

-4a) if you're a new player you are trying as hard as you can to learn the basics of gameplay.

5) you play to have fun, because its a game.

original post below

--------------------

1) You stay to the end of every game even when you're losing. even if you extend the GG before the Citadel is down, you stick it out at the crystal and make some fun chats while the winning team finishes the job. 

2) You don't yell at your team-mates even when they're noobs. even when they're fucking up and causing your team to lose. you take it in stride. everybody was a noob once. 

3) You're a good sport when you're winning. you don't taunt the other team and you play to win throughout the whole match because you respect that your opponents may be decent players and may surprise you. you don't let up because that would disrespect your opponent. you win because you went all out every time.

4) you're a team player. you bought citadel upgrades without having to be told to do so. you supported your team-mates without them asking for help. 

5) you don't suck. you know how to play, and even if there are better players than you, nobody ever complains about how much you suck because you don't. you know the good builds and the good items. you know how to not die. you know how to get an easy kill when its available. you don't suck. 

6) you're fun. you know its a game. you're competitive because competition is fun not because you like making people feel bad when you beat them. you tell jokes, you play with a smile on your face. 

Cheers to you, Classy Gamers. I salute you. 

+66 Karma | 35 Replies
May 23, 2009 2:51:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pass

May 23, 2009 2:59:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Amen.

May 23, 2009 3:43:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yay me!  

May 23, 2009 5:00:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is a shout out to all the class acts who play DG. i played with a few of you tonight and had fun even when i was losing to you. you were a good loser even when I beat you. you know who are you.

You're a Classy Guy. You've got style and grace. You're a good opponent and a good team-mate and a fun guy. Here's why:

1) You stay to the end of every game even when you're losing. even if you extend the GG before the Citadel is down, you stick it out at the crystal and make some fun chats while the winning team finishes the job. 

2) You don't yell at your team-mates even when they're noobs. even when they're fucking up and causing your team to lose. you take it in stride. everybody was a noob once. 

3) You're a good sport when you're winning. you don't taunt the other team and you play to win throughout the whole match because you respect that your opponents may be decent players and may surprise you. you don't let up because that would disrespect your opponent. you win because you went all out every time.

4) you're a team player. you bought citadel upgrades without having to be told to do so. you supported your team-mates without them asking for help. 

5) you don't suck. you know how to play, and even if there are better players than you, nobody ever complains about how much you suck because you don't. you know the good builds and the good items. you know how to not die. you know how to get an easy kill when its available. you don't suck. 

6) you're fun. you know its a game. you're competitive because competition is fun not because you like making people feel bad when you beat them. you tell jokes, you play with a smile on your face. 

Cheers to you, Classy Gamers. I salute you. 

1. Staying when you are obviously losing is bad. Granted, it is also bad that there is no resign option and that the enemies and your other teammates have to deal with 30 seconds of lag when you DC, but there really isn't a point to staying (10 favor for 30 minutes of holding the choke on crucible = pass).

2. Agreed.

3. Agreed, though mild taunting is OK (I love saying "BOOM HEADSHOT!" when I snipe an enemy to death. Heheh.

4. Eh, thats kind of iffy. Buying citadel upgrades when not asked for can be bad (especially if you buy priests.. I can't count the number of games where I've gotten/been forced to give the enemy immense amounts of EXP because somebody bought priests without anything else, and didn't have the build/level advantage for an early push.) Supporting teammates who have already won their fight is not good unless you want to be called a kill stealer (Of course, sniping and getting one hit off an enemy to get assist gold are obviously good ideas.)

5. After saying don't insult noobs, and in a guide to be a classy (not good) player, you say somebody isn't a class act because they are good. A little hypocritical imo.

6. Agreed.

May 23, 2009 5:13:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Having people that are rude and brag often are always funner to kill tho =D

Bring em on

May 23, 2009 8:14:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Most of my playtime is spend in losing games because i don't leave, but my opponents leave when i win. That's just great =p

There is 2 things that makes me want to rehost a game

1) I did great in the previous game (Defeat or Victory does not matter)

2) I did really bad but my opponents were classy =p

(3) The previous game desynched) =p

May 23, 2009 11:41:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Milskidasith,

you stayed in the losing game because you're classy and that's how its done. you see things through to the end because thats the classy thing to do. its not about the favor points, its just a way of life. and when you stick it out, you don't delay the end of the game by taking a stand at the choke point on crucible. you stand at the health crystal and do nothing so your opponents can win faster relative to having a dumb AI keep fighting. 

being a team player is always classy. screwing up an attempt at assistance is what noobs do. but classy players aren't noobs when they buy citadel upgrades they buy the right ones. when they assist a partner its not a kill steal, its getting a kill that neither of you would have otherwise got. 

this isn't a guide. this is a code of conduct. its a description of what a classy player is. classy players are already decent. part of the definition, not hypocritical at all. you can be a very nice and good natured noob but you're still not a classy player because you're making noob mistakes. those noob mistakes can frustrate your team-mates and give your opponents a cake walk. a classy player NEVER frustrates his team mates or gives his opponents a cake walk. 

however, a noob with a good attitude is going to be a classy player in the very near future. 

noobs with good attitudes, stick it out, I salute you. I promise never to yell at you even when you're fuckin up, because that wouldn't be classy. you'll learn soon enough and then you too can be Classy. 

May 24, 2009 11:56:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm all for this but I hope no one rages out over a little smack talk. It happens. It's a game! All competive things has a little smack talk

May 24, 2009 12:08:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you stayed in the losing game because you're classy and that's how its done. you see things through to the end because thats the classy thing to do. its not about the favor points, its just a way of life. and when you stick it out, you don't delay the end of the game by taking a stand at the choke point on crucible. you stand at the health crystal and do nothing so your opponents can win faster relative to having a dumb AI keep fighting.

being a team player is always classy. screwing up an attempt at assistance is what noobs do. but classy players aren't noobs when they buy citadel upgrades they buy the right ones. when they assist a partner its not a kill steal, its getting a kill that neither of you would have otherwise got.

this isn't a guide. this is a code of conduct. its a description of what a classy player is. classy players are already decent. part of the definition, not hypocritical at all. you can be a very nice and good natured noob but you're still not a classy player because you're making noob mistakes. those noob mistakes can frustrate your team-mates and give your opponents a cake walk. a classy player NEVER frustrates his team mates or gives his opponents a cake walk.

however, a noob with a good attitude is going to be a classy player in the very near future.

noobs with good attitudes, stick it out, I salute you. I promise never to yell at you even when you're fuckin up, because that wouldn't be classy. you'll learn soon enough and then you too can be Classy.

Dude, in no RTS, ever, in the history of competetive RTS's, has leaving the game been a bad thing. In pretty much every game that is competitive (Starcraft, DotA, etc.) it is considered polite to leave and say gg once you are obviously defeated. The lack of a resign option hurts this... but its still not classy to waste your opponents time (again, once there is a resign option, this will change, but for now the opponent can at least win faster with a compstomp.)

Basically, you are a scrub. You made your own mental rules on how to play the game (despite not being an official game rule; the leave game option is htere for a reason), one of which involves "don't leave when you have obviously lost." That's simply wasting your time. If it makes you feel good fine! I'll just be spending my time having more fun playing on matches that don't involve me waiting 30 minutes for my higher levelled, better geared enemies to stomp our Citadel.

Hell, even the developers have basically said your stance is wrong; they are updating it so that leaving doesn't trigger DCs and giving a resign option, so its basically saying "yeah, quitting makes sense when you can't win." It really does.

And once again, you continue to berate noobs in your own topic about being a class player, despite the fact one of your rules is to not berate noobs. The hypocrisy is hilarious.

May 24, 2009 12:17:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah you had me up until the noob bashing.  Really, you are being a bit elitist in saying that noobs aren't classy.  You should treat everyone equal reguardless of their skill level.  Simple as that.

I'm a noob, does that make ME not classy?  I take offense to that because I see myself as a good sport.

In essence you're saying you're better than (not in skill but in demeanor, importance, ect.) a noob only b/c you've been around longer or spent more time playing and learning the game.

But as a side note, wouldn't just standing around doing nothing decrease the time it'd take for them to destroy the citadel instead of having some AI's trying to defend the lost cause?  Just a thought and I could be wrong.

May 24, 2009 1:55:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Exterm123,
Yeah you had me up until the noob bashing.  Really, you are being a bit elitist in saying that noobs aren't classy.  You should treat everyone equal reguardless of their skill level.  Simple as that.

I'm a noob, does that make ME not classy?  I take offense to that because I see myself as a good sport.

In essence you're saying you're better than (not in skill but in demeanor, importance, ect.) a noob only b/c you've been around longer or spent more time playing and learning the game.

But as a side note, wouldn't just standing around doing nothing decrease the time it'd take for them to destroy the citadel instead of having some AI's trying to defend the lost cause?  Just a thought and I could be wrong.

Eh, maybe. If it's a compstomp, AI's are less than worthless (they feed you a LOT of gold and EXP.) Even if the AI's were a slight hinderance, I only resign when its an obvious loss anyway; if I, a human player who, while not great, is pretty good, think its impossible to come back and win, then the computers sure as hell aren't going to win. It's still a huge waste of time for me to sit around, and what does that do? I'm still not playing, so its as bad as if I left.

May 24, 2009 2:08:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah I know the AI don't seem to put up much of a fight.  Citadels go down pretty fast once you're overwhelming the opponent anyway.

May 24, 2009 2:17:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Milskidasith

first of all, calling me a Scrub is not classy. i thought you made some good points in your first post so I wanted to clarify my position. i didn't expect to be insulted for doing so. you got up on the wrong side of bed today or something?

what we are on agreement with is that this game needs a proper Resign or Concede option very badly. please try to understand the reason i said what i did. staying til the end of the game ensures that the stat tracker properly records the win for your opponents and the loss for yourself. thats the motivation of my statement. i will happily revise this notion once a proper Concede option is in the game. 

at the moment if you quit out before its officially over one or both of these bad things might happen.

1) you make every other player sit and stare at a "Connections" dialog box for 30 seconds, since the game does not distinguish between a time out and a voluntary disconnect. this happens every time

2) you might screw up the stats of players involved. the algorithm that was put in place to distinguish between a "rage-quit" and a legit disconnect doesn't work well right now. 

so once these problems don't exist, i agree, the same conduct that was used in SC and DotA should apply here as well. extend GG as soon as its obviously done and then leave. but because of certain issues right now that behavior causes some unexpected problems. 

@Exterm,

any player who has a good attitude and is a good sport is very much appreciated. i salute you as well. you will sure be a truly Classy Gamer in the very near future if you are not already. however, new players often inadvertently frustrate other players in the game simply because of their lack of experience. its totally forgiveable but it still causes frustration, and therefore prevents a new player from being 100% Classy. 

this is NOT meant as an insult to new players or any kind of elitism. i'm all about welcoming new players into the community. however, new players need to learn things. that is just a simple fact. most people learn them pretty quickly and if they are good sports will become Classy Gamers as soon as that learning process is complete. i do however distinguish between a noob with the right attitude and an experienced player with the right attitude. 

May 24, 2009 5:40:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting transitive,
@Milskidasith

first of all, calling me a Scrub is not classy. i thought you made some good points in your first post so I wanted to clarify my position. i didn't expect to be insulted for doing so. you got up on the wrong side of bed today or something?

what we are on agreement with is that this game needs a proper Resign or Concede option very badly. please try to understand the reason i said what i did. staying til the end of the game ensures that the stat tracker properly records the win for your opponents and the loss for yourself. thats the motivation of my statement. i will happily revise this notion once a proper Concede option is in the game. 

at the moment if you quit out before its officially over one or both of these bad things might happen.

1) you make every other player sit and stare at a "Connections" dialog box for 30 seconds, since the game does not distinguish between a time out and a voluntary disconnect. this happens every time

2) you might screw up the stats of players involved. the algorithm that was put in place to distinguish between a "rage-quit" and a legit disconnect doesn't work well right now. 

so once these problems don't exist, i agree, the same conduct that was used in SC and DotA should apply here as well. extend GG as soon as its obviously done and then leave. but because of certain issues right now that behavior causes some unexpected problems. 

@Exterm,

any player who has a good attitude and is a good sport is very much appreciated. i salute you as well. you will sure be a truly Classy Gamer in the very near future if you are not already. however, new players often inadvertently frustrate other players in the game simply because of their lack of experience. its totally forgiveable but it still causes frustration, and therefore prevents a new player from being 100% Classy. 

this is NOT meant as an insult to new players or any kind of elitism. i'm all about welcoming new players into the community. however, new players need to learn things. that is just a simple fact. most people learn them pretty quickly and if they are good sports will become Classy Gamers as soon as that learning process is complete. i do however distinguish between a noob with the right attitude and an experienced player with the right attitude. 

Being called a scrub is not an insult. That's like saying it is an insult to call a rabbit small. A scrub (by the definition I'm using, there are hundreds of definitions) is somebody who makes up fake rules and limits themselves with them, instead of really competing. Your fake rule happens to be "don't resign even when you are definitely going to lose." It's just not smart to stay in a game where your only ability is to be free EXP. Anyway, the game does need a proper concede option, I'll admit.

May 24, 2009 7:12:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

then according to your definition everyone in the entire world is a scrub.

you made up a fake rule that says "i'll play the Demigods that I enjoy and play well." that rule isn't in the game, you made up and you're scrub.

you made up a rule that says "im gonna leave the game when, in my opinion, i can't win anymore". you're a scrub. 

the extent of whats an official rule honestly doesn't cover very much. most of the way we behave is governed by culture and tradition. use the term scrub at your own risk. its a very bad insult where i come from. you also came into a thread i made, for the purposes of being positive and complementing players in the community that i've enjoyed, and started a petty argument. i'll know how to treat you in the future. 

May 24, 2009 11:38:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just use the old 'Gamers Code of Conduct' from the Arcade days, where you actually had to line up to play multiplayer.

1. Treat others as you would have them treat you.
2. If in doubt, refer to rule one.

May 25, 2009 1:43:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting transitive,
then according to your definition everyone in the entire world is a scrub.

you made up a fake rule that says "i'll play the Demigods that I enjoy and play well." that rule isn't in the game, you made up and you're scrub.

you made up a rule that says "im gonna leave the game when, in my opinion, i can't win anymore". you're a scrub. 

the extent of whats an official rule honestly doesn't cover very much. most of the way we behave is governed by culture and tradition. use the term scrub at your own risk. its a very bad insult where i come from. you also came into a thread i made, for the purposes of being positive and complementing players in the community that i've enjoyed, and started a petty argument. i'll know how to treat you in the future. 

First, the first one isn't even a rule. That's a decision. That's like calling my laptop a ham sandwich. It isn't.

Secondly, the second one is ALSO a decision. Made up rules are stuff like "don't use throws in a fighting game, they are cheap." or "leaving the game early, even when you have obviously lost, is just being a sore loser (even if you say GG)." The official rules of the game are all hard coded into the game. Anything else is a rule you make up. The point is that there is an in game rule allowing you to leave a game in progress, so saying you shouldn't do that is being scrubby.

Also, your thread has been far more noob bashing than complimentary. You are acting pretty elitist, honestly.

June 2, 2009 7:20:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with Milskidasith, you want Demigod to become elitist, which was the main reason why original Dota has died. No one so far has mentioned, theres so many custom games where the same players play together over and over sitting on ventrillo, bullying in-game other players. Theres no fun being gang banged 15 times in a game, and i will always leave a game like this. Just yesterday i played a game, where the other team had no intention in siegeing/winning but in gang banging one by one of us, and while if im stacked with my friends on ventrilo i look forward to challenges like that, i find it quite disgusting when it comes to games with random people without voice communication. I say lets keep the custom games free of bullies, not to discourage newbies, otherwise this game will soon become elitist and eventually die because of lack of new players.

The other thing i would like to point out is bad connection/slow pc players, so often it makes the game completely unplayable. Please make sure you dont run any background applications, especially peer2peer services, communicators such as msn, and even internet browser. Lowering graphics settings will always help, especially for laptop users. Generally laptops shouldnt be used for playing anything else than miner or cards, unless you spent about 2k on it and got extra cooling for it also. Demigod is quite demanding on the resources and playing it for few hours will produce massive amounts of heat, so even if you dont experience any troubles running the game, you may after few games played.

These are the 2 most important issues in my opinion, all the rest is just part of the game...

June 3, 2009 12:31:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

why don't you just read the original post again and think about what it really says. 

1) you don't rage quit.

2) you don't bully or talk trash.

3) you're not a sore loser or an arrogant winner.

4) you've bothered to learn the basics of gameplay.

5) you play to have fun, because its a game.

thats what the post says.

i have NO IDEA how you now think i'm some kind of elitist or bully or noob-basher. you're hallucinating. also, if you DON'T agree with those 5 principles then you're not classy and i don't want to play with you. 

if elitism means not playing games with players who are VERY UNPLEASANT to play with, then i'm an elitist. 

June 3, 2009 1:38:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm surprised at the amount of people offended by rules which in essence state: "I, ____________ hereby declare that I realize that other players also use this product for entertainment purposes, and thus will not act like an asshat, as it does not help myself or others enjoy the game."

I mean really? I reserve the right to flame you because this game is just Such Serious Business? Fail.

June 3, 2009 5:57:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Those people who argue for quitting forget to add one little detail: that is the team. I'm fine with quitters, if they discuss their decision with their team and follow the will of the majority. So if in a 3v3, 2 out of 3 are convinced they are losing, they should quit. It 2 out of 3 would want to continue the fight, then the third one owes them to stay and fight. Its really that simple.

Actually, when i say they should quit, well.. they dont necessarily have to. see the rest of the post why.

All these say GG and quit fellas forget one thing: if you fight back, the game might be dragged out by another 15 minutes or so. If you quit, it will be another 10 as the AI is obviously weaker. If you just sit back and chat for a while, it will be 5 as there is no real resistance for the enemy.

Furthermore, you might also find some interesting people to play with in the future if you spend that time to chat with them.

Obviously, for some asshats, its all about them and their precious time. They gloat about how they are doing a favor for everyone by not dragging out the game unnecessarily through quitting, when in reality all they are doing is following their own selfish interests to save those pathetic 5-10 minutes it would have cost them if they stick it out to the end.

I would add an extra point to your 'classy' list:

The most important rule of all,

rule 0: You are just a member of a team, and not the team itself. Follow/honor the will of the majority.

June 3, 2009 6:47:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting csebal,
Those people who argue for quitting forget to add one little detail: that is the team. I'm fine with quitters, if they discuss their decision with their team and follow the will of the majority. So if in a 3v3, 2 out of 3 are convinced they are losing, they should quit. It 2 out of 3 would want to continue the fight, then the third one owes them to stay and fight. Its really that simple.

Actually, when i say they should quit, well.. they dont necessarily have to. see the rest of the post why.

All these say GG and quit fellas forget one thing: if you fight back, the game might be dragged out by another 15 minutes or so. If you quit, it will be another 10 as the AI is obviously weaker. If you just sit back and chat for a while, it will be 5 as there is no real resistance for the enemy.

Furthermore, you might also find some interesting people to play with in the future if you spend that time to chat with them.

Obviously, for some asshats, its all about them and their precious time. They gloat about how they are doing a favor for everyone by not dragging out the game unnecessarily through quitting, when in reality all they are doing is following their own selfish interests to save those pathetic 5-10 minutes it would have cost them if they stick it out to the end.

I would add an extra point to your 'classy' list:

The most important rule of all,

rule 0: You are just a member of a team, and not the team itself. Follow/honor the will of the majority.

A wholly optimal situation. I hope we can see this more often.

June 3, 2009 10:43:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting csebal,

^this!

Oh and about the whole "noob bashing" thing, Here I'll get a quote or two.

Quoting transitive,

you can be a very nice and good natured noob but you're still not a classy player because you're making noob mistakes. those noob mistakes can frustrate your team-mates and give your opponents a cake walk. a classy player NEVER frustrates his team mates or gives his opponents a cake walk. 

The problem I have with this here is that you're saying a noob isn't classy because they're still learning the game.  That's not the point.  They're classy because of their attitude, not their skills.  Now if a noob has no intention of trying to learn those skills to become a good player, then you have a point.  But, if it's their first game online and they're still trying to adjust to playing with real people it becomes a whole different point.

Case A: Noob joins a game, gets totally rocked every time he leaves the base because he doesn't know when to retreat, who to avoid, ect.  He gets angry and starts cussing out his teammates and the other players because in his mind his poor skill and dying all the time is somehow their fault.  He soon after quits the game.

Case B: Noob joins a game, gets totally rocked every time he leaves the base because he doesn't know when to retreat, who to avoid, ect.  He asks his teammates for help on what to do.  He doesn't suddenly make a 180 and become the best player on the team, but maybe he dies a little less and tries his best to help his team out.

Which case would you prefer?  I'd pick B myself.  That's a classy player. One who tries to learn from their mistakes and get help from others.  He's still a noob, but he's learning.  He's not going to be a classy player some day, he's a classy player now.

June 3, 2009 1:18:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Noob B is a good guy and a good team-mate. that goes without saying, i thought i made that clear. however, despite being a nice guy and having a great attitude i'd still rather have a different player on my team. this is just the perspective of competition. there's a time and place for training and a time and place for competing. if i'm playing a very casual, low stakes kind of game than i'm more than happy to play with inexperienced players and help them learn. if i'm playing against a very strong enemy team i don't want to be saddled with an inexperienced player.

one of the issues in the game right now is that the ranking + matching system isn't working very well so its fairly easy to end up i a situation where there are player experience/skill level mismatches going on. thats not even the fault of the noob in question, but it does make the game a drag for everyone involved.

i can concede the semantics if you like. a noob with a good attitude can be a classy guy, but he's still not the type of player i want to see on my team in a highly competitive match. thats the only point i was trying to make.

June 3, 2009 1:41:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're right, in a competitive game, a noob is not someone you want on your team.  They'll make the match that much harder.  But don't call into question their "classiness" because of that.

If the noob is dragging the game on purpose that's a different story entirely.  But it's not their fault they're new.  Everyone was new at some time.

So I'm glad we can finally agree on this point.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.