The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

RANDOM TEAMS Option for Custom Games

By on May 18, 2009 11:14:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is there any chance in the future of having a Random Teams option? 

This would eliminate players having to worry about team stacking.  When I played Dawn of War, there was a strong preference for random teams games over other custom games because of that very reason - no worry about getting smoked by an arranged team while you're stuck with a team of who knows what skill level.

+3 Karma | 10 Replies
May 19, 2009 12:56:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I support this idea. I don't mind playing against arranged teams for the most part, but a random feature would be cool for those times when you just wanna try new builds.

May 19, 2009 4:57:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's already in the game. They called it skirmish. Yes, I know you said custom games, but custom games are for when ya want to play with a friend.

May 19, 2009 5:24:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting rarfy50,
It's already in the game. They called it skirmish. Yes, I know you said custom games, but custom games are for when ya want to play with a friend.

Or when you want to play a certain map (with random people).

Or when you want to play with certain settings (with random people).

So no, skirmish isn't the answer.

May 19, 2009 9:37:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aye, I tend to avoid custom games where someone asks me to move to a certain side and mostly prefer the matches where I'm on the same side as the host to be somewhat sure that I won't be facing a pre-arranged team with speech connections to each other and whatnot.

May 19, 2009 9:53:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SThaler,

Quoting rarfy50, reply 2It's already in the game. They called it skirmish. Yes, I know you said custom games, but custom games are for when ya want to play with a friend.

Or when you want to play more than 2v2

May 19, 2009 10:48:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really? Is it too much to ask the host, or attempt to join their team to see what's going on. Or if I'm playing with my friend and I join a 4v4, i'll have to leave because its random teams and I want to play with my friend. I can't see the developers spending time on this feature when team pantheons / skirmish will sort most of it out anyway.

May 19, 2009 3:15:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cutfang,
Or if I'm playing with my friend and I join a 4v4, i'll have to leave because its random teams and I want to play with my friend.

Yes, obviously if you want to play with a friend, then a random teams game wouldn't be for you.  You would have to find another game, just like if the hosts selects Fortress and you want to play Conquest, you would have to find another game.

I can't see the developers spending time on this feature when team pantheons / skirmish will sort most of it out anyway.

Custom games is what this is about, not skirmish/pantheon.  It's not like I'm asking them to move the sun and the moon, just for an option to mix up the matches a little bit, which is something that should be simple to implement and require minimal effort.

May 19, 2009 3:37:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's easy, host your own game.

No one *joins* custom games as a team, if they wanted to be a team they'd host their own game.

Thus everyone who joins your custom game is completely random.

May 19, 2009 5:06:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,
It's easy, host your own game.

No one *joins* custom games as a team, if they wanted to be a team they'd host their own game.

Thus everyone who joins your custom game is completely random.

That's not actually true.  There have been several instances where people join my games and ask to hold spots for a few friends they have coming.

Also, after playing for a while, people get to know who the better players are out of a given group that they play with regularly, and when they are all on one team, it's easy to tell when it gets to be one-sided.  Most people will just leave knowing the odds are against them.  Having a random teams option would afford a better chance of having the teams more evenly distributed in such an instance.

Another point is that this would also make it impossible to choose your demigod based on what the other team chooses for their demigods, which would always make it a guessing game as to who you'll be against, and I find that to be more appealing than knowing beforehand.  I could also see how some people wouldn't like this because they would want to choose their DG based on the other DGs on their teams (maybe to avoid 4 QoTs or 4 Sednas or something), but again, if you're worried about that, then you should find a host who isn't hosting a random teams game.

May 19, 2009 9:43:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SThaler,

Quoting rarfy50, reply 2It's already in the game. They called it skirmish. Yes, I know you said custom games, but custom games are for when ya want to play with a friend.

Yes, it is the answer. Maybe they should add filtering options for skirmish games?

Though I will agree with the 2v2 thing, it'd be nice to have skirmish with 3v3 or 4v4.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.