The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Map Idea: Knot (With Pics)

By on May 18, 2009 3:30:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

TheScottish...

Join Date 04/2009
+81

Lots of people on the forums have been suggesting new and excitng maps.  many want to include map specific effects like rivers and blizzards etc however i feel something that has been overlooked is the concept of 3-Dimentional maps allowing for an added stratigic element of knowing where your minions are going.

my first idea is for simply a bridge/tunnel idea where one path crosses th other path but over a bridge.  bellow i have some simple designes for this.

As you can see the Blue path overlaps the Red not allowing Demigods to interfer unless going down the other lane.  things like Line of Sight could be given to those on the bridge over the bottem since they would technicly have more vission.  and maybe allowing spell casters to cast off the bridge, maybe.

with that in mind i came up with a new idea for a map, which i have names Knot.

Knot

This map is an advanced form of the simple bridge map i have above.  Basicly it incorperates many bridges with several crossing lanes.  the plans are still rough but i feel that they are at least ready for public humiliation.

The image bellow if of the basic outline of the map:

Now for some pathing.  the two circles would be where the citidels would be located so in order to understand where the grunts would be running i have this pic:

Again you can see that the gruntys will loop around in a classic knot shape while heading back towards the enemy citidel.  an interesting aspect of the cross over would be that when trying to build a big push into the enemy base Demigods would have to cooperate with others so someone held off the enemy grunts while the other pushed the grunts into the towers before regrouping at the crossing.

as for the towers i've also got a simple placement of towers in this next pic:

Here you can see that the Towers would also overlap allowing for grunts to pass form friendly tower to enemy tower to friends tower back to enamy and finaly into citidel.  i haven't really thought about flag placement or possibly more portals perhaps at the top and bottem of the loops however the possibility is always there.

I'd really appreciate some feed back from people on addition or edits to this.  i personaly would lover to see some less liniar maps in later patches so i thought this might be a nice starting point.

Locked Post 25 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 18, 2009 3:46:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That looks really good man. The 2nd one in particular looks fun, if not a little complicated.

The question is whether or not the game can handle altitudes. At the moment, the game is played on one flat plane with no slopes/vertical differences. Abilities and would be affected and I'm not sure (as i know nothign about coding) but including seperate vertical heights might be impossible if it wasn't written into the original program. Would also have to be checked for exploits (I can see a Regulus standing on one of the routes that goesw ABOVE another one and sniping down at someone who can't do anything to close distance.

On the other hand the idea is awsome, I'd love to have maps that get a little more complicated than the ones we see right now. Kudos for brining it up.

Naz

May 18, 2009 3:56:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The biggest problem gameplay wise would be, there is no way to get from 1 lane to the 2nd lane without having to run all the way back to your citadel

May 18, 2009 3:58:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's really a cool idea. Just wondering if there was a specific reason you didn't have creeps going down both lanes. For the first map, giving the top lane to blue just gives them the advantage since they have more sight like you said. I think creeps should puch in both lanes evenly. Otherwise, besides the possible coding restrictions, it sounds awesome.

EDIT: 

Quoting TknTnT,
The biggest problem gameplay wise would be, there is no way to get from 1 lane to the 2nd lane without having to run all the way back to your citadel

good point

May 18, 2009 4:06:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TknTnT,

Simple way to change that would be some form of teleport placed on the map. Maybe even a capturable portal to allow u to move between 2 points on different lanes. Just a thought.

May 18, 2009 4:08:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@TknTnT

i was thinking about some problems liek that... maybe later i'll edit the design a bit so the top and bottom loop have a cross road somewhere in there.  thank for the input.

@ToxDrawace

Sorry for the confusion, all the maps above are suppost to have creeps pushing from both directions.  if you look closely u can see that i put a dirrent colour arrow at the other end of the line (this is suppost to represent both creeps)

@devvs

Does anyone actually know if Demigod has the ability to do altitues?

May 18, 2009 4:20:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Unless they changed the engine since the release of Supreme Commander, this game engine cannot handle bridges properly for whatever reason. So as cool as this map would be, the game couldn't run it properly.

May 18, 2009 4:37:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok ok... so looks like bridges might be too advanced for Demigods right now

another idea i though thou would rather than briges how about a tunnel system like Dragoran12 mentioned.  simply put it would be a 2-way portal on each end of the lanes so rather than them physicly going under the lane they just get teleported to the other side.  is that more resonable for the engine?

May 18, 2009 5:28:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That can be done relatively easily as far as I know. Of course I'd have no idea how to go about doing that.

May 18, 2009 5:29:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

very cool map,

this could easily be fixed, just put a vertical line down the middle of the map which joins the lanes together

May 18, 2009 6:04:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another problem, could Erebus teleport between the lanes? Could Torch Bearer shoot across to the other lane? While that sorta map would look awesome, it'd give ranged characters a massive advantage. 

May 18, 2009 6:18:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if elivated levels to the map were possible the range advantage could be delt with having the height of the bridges larger than the range of the abilities.  so say Erebus's Bat swarm has a range of 7 (guess) then that means that the height needs to be around 10.  only abilities i can see being able to shoot down would be Reguls's Snipe since its massive already. 

also, on a side note.  Erebus and Torch can already "skip" lanes on some of the tighter ones like Zikurat when u can attack or escape to another lane.

[EDIT]

after some time on photshop i re did a few of the pics in acordance to ur suggestions.

first one here is redoing the cross roads so that you can jump between lanes... though the grunts still run around the loop.

as you can see the red parts are the edited ones

next one is an idea for using portals instead of tunnels/bridges. 

here u can see the grunts simply teleport to the other side of the lane.

Let me know wat you think.

May 18, 2009 8:32:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Being as the maps themselves are 3D Models as opposed to actual 'Maps' created with a Map Editor like Supreme Commander, the concept is entirely workable. The issue would be advantages for alltitudes, which is probably not coded into the game at all being as all the available maps are currrently 2D. The issue of camera control also comes into play - as I believe the camera works well because the game's maps are 2D, and adding overlapping pieces would remove visibility and possibly make the camera work in unexpected ways.

It's a great concept, however I think it might end up in the 'Too Hard' basket.

Quoting TknTnT,

It would be nice to have at least one map where the lanes are seperated significantly enough that your team really needs to think hard about which lane to take/hold.

May 18, 2009 9:16:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nasareth,
That looks really good man. The 2nd one in particular looks fun, if not a little complicated.

The question is whether or not the game can handle altitudes. At the moment, the game is played on one flat plane with no slopes/vertical differences. Abilities and would be affected and I'm not sure (as i know nothign about coding) but including seperate vertical heights might be impossible if it wasn't written into the original program. Would also have to be checked for exploits (I can see a Regulus standing on one of the routes that goesw ABOVE another one and sniping down at someone who can't do anything to close distance.

On the other hand the idea is awsome, I'd love to have maps that get a little more complicated than the ones we see right now. Kudos for brining it up.

Naz

I have to Agree here... This game was written the way it is to allow a special zoom feature.  if you're under a bridge, how is the game supposed to zoom you in correctly? I've played countless games that 3D maps cause problems.  Now I could see other possibilies like maybe having a map that has blockades that need destroyed before any troops can pass. Opening up another path way. Like in Team Fortress 2, most maps have a wall or something that once you break it open, you've opened a back door.  But the game how it's designed is great.  You want to add some serious lag, make the entire thing 3D.  Someone like myself has no worries with my $5000 in computer equipment. But I can't say that about someone with a $600 computer trying to just make it by and currently enjoying the game at low resolutions.  Playability is often something that has to be taken into account for all genre of gamers and computer types.

The map is a great idea and looks sweet, points to you. But I'd suggest sticking the current 3D/2D map style design for now. What would be great is if they allowed us a map builder, and just make our own maps to play and be downloaded.

GT

May 18, 2009 9:37:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dragoran12,

Quoting TknTnT,
reply 2

Simple way to change that would be some form of teleport placed on the map. Maybe even a capturable portal to allow u to move between 2 points on different lanes. Just a thought.

a capturable portal/teleporter thing would be badass between lanes.

+1 this topic rocks my socks.

May 19, 2009 2:02:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GTRacer93,
I have to Agree here... This game was written the way it is to allow a special zoom feature.  if you're under a bridge, how is the game supposed to zoom you in correctly?

if you hold spacebar you can rotate the map as well as go down to the demigod's levels and look as if you are on the path. isn't the ideal camera angle, but it works.

May 20, 2009 11:39:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

awesome stuff

May 20, 2009 11:45:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i really like this idea and your design is quite good.

the biggest concern is going to be visual presentation though. it might get really hard to see where you are if you're under a bridge. 

May 22, 2009 11:04:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe just making the bridges transparent when your DG is under it.

May 24, 2009 5:19:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I am reading the map right, which I could possibly be doing wrong, it seems as though the north and south loops are pointless. It appears it would function as a two lane map with extra looping (sort of like the far left path creeps ignore on Exile) that would be largely ignored because of the tactical insignifigance.

May 24, 2009 8:02:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my map idea

Here is an improved version

May 24, 2009 8:20:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

interesting....

as for ProximityFixed  i think u might have it wrong.  basicly there are two loops one inside another.  if you look at the third picture in the original post you can see the red arrow do the full loop.  this would be the path the grunts take... meaning they would be back trtackig on their selves (so pathing and waypoints would be needed).

however if you look at reply eleven (11) then you can see i changed the map up a bit so the cross isn't until the first intersection.  however with bridges or portals then grunts will still do the full loop before hitting the citadel.

@Exterm123

love the idea for transparent bridges... might even be easier to make glass or crystal bridges so its always transparent.  but the problem is that dev's seem to be ignoring this section of the forums so we might never know if bridges are even possible.

July 19, 2009 2:16:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmm not to be a downer but this map proberly wouldn't work  because unless  the demis could  jump of the edge onto another path or jump up onto a path it wouldn't work and it would mean haveing the tele favour or erebus to win

July 19, 2009 2:23:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting si1foo,
hmm not to be a downer but this map proberly wouldn't work  because unless  the demis could  jump of the edge onto another path or jump up onto a path it wouldn't work and it would mean haveing the tele favour or erebus to win
great reason to buy the underused warpstone.

July 23, 2009 9:49:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cool map, but the lanes are too long. Long lanes means too many creeps at the same time, which will slow down many PCs.

July 23, 2009 3:27:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well if u look at the map u can see that in order for the creeps to meet at the cross road then the 2nd wave needs to be spawned around when the 1st wave is 1/3 way around the loop.  this means that there would only be 4 waves of grunts at max going around.  that 16 waves max if all sides magiclty made it each citadel withought fighting.  even on brother there are way more than that many units on the map late game so i think it should be fine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000844   Page Render Time: