The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Late Thursday connectivity update verdicts

By on May 15, 2009 1:06:23 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Ok guys. Let us have it.  We’ve largely rewritten the way users get connected for custom games.

So…

Is it better?

Let us know.

Update:

We are asking about the initial connectivity - getting connected to other players.  Not your experiences with other people once in the game. That is a seperate discussion.

+912 Karma | 177 Replies
May 15, 2009 1:09:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The connectivity works fine for me now Great Job there!

Only had some odd game crashes today.. not sure about the reason, will give that a try after i had some sleep

May 15, 2009 1:10:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BTW, I won't be around tomorrow or the weekend. Wife and I have our 15 year anniversary and she insists I take the weekend off.

May 15, 2009 1:11:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my rating:  

8/10 for custom games

6/10 for pantheon

Better than yesterday or last week.  It still seems like a hit or miss sometimes.   There are still issues, like everyone dropped from the game 5 minutes in, or I disconnected. 

Connection can be really quick like 1 minute.  Or takes forever like 10+ minutes.   Pantheon is still 2v2 for me, I hope to find more players.

May 15, 2009 1:17:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In MY experience, its a godly update. I was one of the people having trouble connecting before the beta. Things got way better on beta but was still pretty fucked up....after beta was over it was chaos until you guys did a hotfix that night and it went pretty smoothly. Problem was, connection tab was very weird, not updating and with odd bugs...especially when a lot of people connected and left very quickly. Now with this patch though, everything is more clean...faster, and works. I have done more 4 vs 4 and 5 vs 5 than i had done in weeks. The only problem i see, is that is harder to get into lobbies now...some NAT problems here and there , but once you get in is pretty awesome.

Whatever you guys did, cheers. Its awesome, it works, it saved the game in my opinion. I loved the transparency you guys made throughout the whole problem and i wish you guys continue doing so, it is greatly appreciated.

On a side note:  Please let us choose if we want to do 3 vs 3 or 2 vs 2 in pantheon...plz...i only like 3 vs 3 up.....i HATE 2 vs 2.   pretty plz?????

May 15, 2009 1:19:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Blitz - just to be specific here.  What our updates are about is replacing the 1.0 network connection code with new code that scales. More specifically - your ability to connect to other players in the first place.  Once you're in the game, it's all Demigod at that point and we are feeding Gas Powered Games info on that issue but there's not much we can do.

May 15, 2009 1:23:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

with this new update i will commonly lag out of a game completley with no warning (whole game fills with bots)

wut gives?!!?!?

May 15, 2009 1:24:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First off, congrats on the anniversary.

Now to the matter at hand...

Honestly, this patch seems much worse.  There were problem before but now I might be able to successfully connect to a game lobby maybe 1 in every 4 tries if I'm lucky.  Then, once in there is the (usual?) screwiness with getting everyone connected but it's hard to tell if it's any better or worse than prior to this patch.  These problems are only compounded with the constant join/leave that seems to on as people try to find a game that connects instantly for them (such things rare exist anyways).

In game definitely seems worse.  Lots of dropped players and I've now started to see Desync messages pop up, sometimes constantly.

Another oddity is when joining pings can be extremely high (800-3000) and then after a few minutes drop down to something more normal.  This isn't really a major problem but it's definitely new behavior and it is causing some confusion and finger pointing in game lobbies ("Your ping is 1800!  *kick*) when a little patience is all that is needed in most cases.

-dolynick

May 15, 2009 1:26:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just played a 4v4, most pings were in the 90-140 range for me, one guy had a 250ish one, and he was 250ish to everyone.

We entered the lobby and connected great, the game started fast.

EDIT: Removed irrelevant stuff.

May 15, 2009 1:46:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Working alot better for me and my friends, now we usually get a game going in like 3-5 instead of 10-20.  These are 3v3s im talking about

May 15, 2009 1:47:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, just downloaded the newest update, and now I can't get into a Pantheon game at all. Every time, it puts me in a group, and after a moment, it kicks me, with the message 'Droped from the game because matchmaking failed.'

Tried about 8 times and no dice.

May 15, 2009 1:48:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm one of the few who has been lucky enough to get in games ever since before all the recent patches. As it is right now connecting is faster to get in the lobby. But its still just as slow it seems. I mean now there is just more confusion because before you connected to everyone outside the lobby and then you got in ounce you were hooked up. Now you get in right away and then you connect while your in. So it seems like all the same just backwards. The only problem that this gives me is that it seems a little harder when you are trying to host bigger games. All the kicking is left up to the host. So now I have to look through the connection info and weed through which player isn't connected to who. Before it was as simple as seeing who was trying to connect but who hadn't made it in the game yet. Pretty easy. I played a few 4v4 and 5v5's in the past (pre patch) and now its impossible to get that many people in a room.

Now I'm not quite sure what your saying is your duty here. Is it your responsibility to just get players in the room and then GPG is supposed to fix everything after that or what?

Anyway just a personal opinion. I thought it was better when people who weren't going to connect weren't getting in to start with. Instead of getting in and sitting on 0's hanging everyone up.

Also I'm just saying the way it is now. From my understanding of all the updates the reason why the connection is set up this way is because there supposed to eventually be filtered correct? Like when Tom can't connect to Jane then it tries through the host and if that fails then through proxy right? So in all fairness I would say until all the things are implemented its hard to say if this helped or not.

May 15, 2009 1:50:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Beautiful. Still some rejoins needed here and there--it is increasingly obvious who needs to rejoin once everyone's in and ready. The bottom line: the time needed to start a game has been reduced monumentally, at least for me. Thank you so much!

May 15, 2009 1:54:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Much better.  But it seems like there are two types of users.  There are the users that I instantly connect to and then there's just users who just can't seem to connect to anyone other than the host. They get in but they hold up everyone with their glacial connection speeds.

May 15, 2009 2:01:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Massive improvement, the people that connect to all are generally significantly greater than those who don't. So getting 4vs4, 5vs5 is actually possible now.

I was just testing joining games, 4vs4 and 5vs5 ones that were mostly filled with 6 or 7 people and was connecting completely to all  as was everyone else in the lobby room. It was also extemely fast connecting to everyone as well.

In previous patches there would have been 0 pings and timeouts.

May 15, 2009 2:05:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's awesome now!! Great job!! Happy Anniversary!!

May 15, 2009 2:10:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First let me say I love the game.  And I really appreciate all the hard work and effort you are putting into fixing this as quickly as possible.  Can't wait til the kinks are ironed out so I can get all my friend hooked

I agree with ThePanic71.  Seems like there are two types of users still.  Ones that connect immediately now (where before it was much slower) but there are still users that can't connect to anyone it seems.

I've been very fortunate in that for the most part multiplayer has just worked for me, I've got ports forwarded and I'm on a good solid net connection and a decent computer.  However after this last patch (2nd on the 14th) I've had the hardest time connecting to date.  I tried to join a skirmish probably 5 times before it finally let me into a game.  The first 4 times were all 2v2 matchups according to the connection info and each time there was one person noone seemed to be able to connect to, so it'd drop back to the demigod selection screen with a message about matchup failed.

And I know you didn't ask about connectivity once inside the game, but I ran into a HUGE problem tonight once I finally got into a skirmish.  A few minutes into the game my partner rage quit (thank goodness he was horrible, AI was better).  From that point forward I was getting a Desync error/warning popup every 2-5 seconds.  Talk about infuriating.

I confirmed that the player on the other team was getting the same message.  The game was almost unplayable, because even though the message would pop up and take focus the game would continue in the background.  You'd click okay and it'd go away, but then it'd pop up in a few more seconds.  To make matters worse about 20% of the time if you were in the middle of targeting a skill you'd activated you wouldn't have a mouse cursor, so it made clicking on the okay button with an invisible mouse REALLY fun.

Let me know if you want/need more details.  Otherwise keep up the good work, and keep up the awesome posts letting us know how things are progressing!

-Mid

May 15, 2009 2:13:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cant get a game going at all now.

If I try pantheon, i will start connecting with some other people, we will get connected then someone will drop and it will sit there doing nothing. Or maybe that someone will just vanish temporarily, and when they come back we're stuck on "not yet connected to xxx".

So I try a custom game. Get into lobby, connect up fine, then when the game launches the game just freezes and I have to do a hard reboot.

Ill go have another try I guess. Havnt quite run out of patience yet.

Edit: Keeps failing in pantheon also because "The matchmaking service has failed"

Edit: Got into a couple of custom games now, even a 4v4, but that started dying after about 5 minutes.

Played a 3v3 which seemed to run ok.

Maybe freezing in my first custom game was a one off, although pantheon seems to be borked at the server end.

May 15, 2009 2:17:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Garbage. Sorry, but it is for me. Unable to get into any pantheon game at all. I do like the fact that it is trying to set up 3v3 now, but I can't play, nobody ever gets fully connected and I often get booted for some reason before the game starts. I had zero problems up to this point and the new patch is not good for me.

THat being said, I did get into a custom game just now with no problems at all, which I will admit is very nice.

However, I play pantheon a bunch so...

May 15, 2009 2:31:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Up until today I could play just fine. Pantheon, Skirmish, and Custom games were no problem. Get the patch this morning and I can't get into anything. Same problem with the patch this evening.

May 15, 2009 2:31:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was skeptical at first, but tonight for custom games went much better than any night before.

May 15, 2009 2:35:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Works fine for me. Has worked fine since just about day one. I've played on three different internet connections, with more different routers than I can count.

My current map looks like Internet <---> Modem <---> Router <-wifi-> Router <---> Router <--> me.

And it STILL works fine, after seeing to it that everything was reasonably configured.

For my best friend though?

Nothing. Nothing since day one. Nothing today. Nothing at all.

His network map looks like this Internet <--> Modem <--> PC.

He consistently gets "Could not connect to NAT Facilitator." as referenced in this thead:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/347837

All of the circumstances for ruling out problems on his end are shared by the people in that thread. It seems like he's having the same issue European DSL users are having, but we're in New Jersey.

His ImpulseReactor.Log consistently gives back

Code: c++
  1. [05-15-2009 01:19:03 798] Message received by CVPMultiplayerEngine: ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED from 209.124.63.249:6004  GUID: 4294967295.4294967295.4294967295.4294967295
  2. [05-15-2009 01:19:07 992] Message received by CVPMultiplayerEngine: ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED from 209.124.63.249:6004  GUID: 4294967295.4294967295.4294967295.4294967295
May 15, 2009 2:36:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, any problems I've had with the online connectivity are completely erased. You guys did an excellent job and I commend both Stardock and GPG and everyone else (you know, the coffee makers, spouses, and donut chains) involved in making this work.

The main thing however, that I have noticed recently with the new updates... is that now we got a bunch of people who join 4vs4s and 5vs5s thinking that the update is gonna somehow resolve their slow internet connection speeds. This is obviously nothing that is within Stardocks control as it is usually an uneducated user trying to play 5vs5 on a shit connection, thinking/hoping that new update makes internet speeds better or something.

I suggest making a guideline though for newer players to see detailing appoximately how much upload and download bandwidth is required for each amount of players involved (2vs2, 3vs3, etc). So that users don't join 5vs5s thinking it is somehow Stardocks fault that their connections speeds are slow. Obviously a user like this probably wouldn't know any better, but I think establishing a guideline would help newer players understand what they are capable of with their internet connections in regards to Demigod.

Also, maybe a "Demigod News" section in the multiplayer screen would be excellent. A poster somewhere in these forums already suggested it, so I don't want to take his credit... but it sounds like an excellent thing to do. Newer/causual players wouldn't know anything about the Demigod website and forums, so having a news feed come up when first logging into Demigod multiplayer would greatly help and improve their experience. They could read your blogs and stay abreast of updates and connectivity progress just like we at the Demigod site can.

May 15, 2009 2:38:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've had some issues with this patch that haven't occured before.

Last 2 games, lobby connection was great. Custom 3v3 game filled and started perfectly, cheers to the new lobby connection system for that.

However, once in game, a player was lagging to an insane amount (3300ms). Another player lagged out (or was disconnected), and that solved the massive lag problem.

So, player 3 was lagging, but when player 4 dropped, player 3 no longer lagged.

May 15, 2009 2:46:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

8/10 compared to how the game had been connecting before.

2/10 compared to ANY other RTS game I have ever played.

I am really glad that the online is starting to shape up but we shouldn't be too excited because it is still way behind how a good RTS should connect.

May 15, 2009 2:51:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

One hint, if you get this version on european market, you will get bad results, at least in germany, because DSL is a big hit here. And if my port-forwarded version doesn't work, there is a good chance it won't work for a lot of other people.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.