The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Perhaps a new Demigod Class - the Architect

By on May 13, 2009 12:26:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

whitefireda...

Join Date 05/2009
+1

I found something missing in Demigod. Adding more demigods to the mix of both the assassin and general types would add a miniscule amount of variety. Not really enough to make it worth an expansion purchase. What we need is another class of demigods.

The Architect Class

Yeah, that's what's missing. A class of demigods that can control the battlefield using buildings, instead of battle prowess or minion control. They would win a game by slowly pushing their border closer to your own, eventually owning the entire map. They could become a major defensive player in large team battles, the only one able to repair your defenses mid-game so that you can go the long haul.

You would be able to have at least 3 definitive types of Architect. First would be your builder, because the builder emphasizes everything that is the architect. Builders would have the ability to build new structures and place temporary structures, might also be able to give towers temporary boosts. Yes, I know the rook can place structures, but they're much weaker than a standard tower. I figure any OP of this class could be balanced by mechanics. Make a special space in the store (much like the general's place) where each tower (be it a light/dark tower or an archer tower) would be purchased and then go on the consumable items bar.

onto the second architect type, the Remodeler. Give it a special ability that takes a little more time to perform, but allows you to pull down your own tower and put it in the Remodeler's item bar... then they can put the tower up somewhere else! OMFG

The 3rd type, the Reinforcer. Able to heal defensive structures, temporarily boost the power of structures, even making them invulnerable for a short amount of time at high levels.

The 4th type, the Demolisher. Able to quickly destroy enemy defenses, but a weak combatant.

The architect class would likely always be lower-level in-game than the other demigods because they would spend a majority of their battles re-inforcing their defenses, and would rely more on their own structures and allies to help throw the battle in their favor. They would also be more gold-dependant than the other classes, as each structure might cost to build.

I would definitely spend the money on an expansion that incorporated more variety through a larger range of classes of demigods... and MORE MAPS!

Locked Post 7 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 13, 2009 12:29:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump... for some reason this didn't show up when I created it... had to bump it.

May 13, 2009 12:56:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think that's some pretty good food for thought.

I'm trying to think of how much that would change game dynamics... the key to creating another class would be making one that by default suck or is imba...

I like the assassin/general split because it doesn't necessarily restrict one class to one role (like assassin only dps and general only support) but simply alters the logic behind DPS/Support/disables for each class. Architect might be a little tougher as an outright class, but maybe restructing Rook and QoT's tree to have an architect-heavy vein would be the best way to integrate it? 

A problem I see with architect is that it would be too static (i.e. the best defense would be to simply stay away from their structures, and the best offense for the architect would probably be ninja-capping portals. Neither of which really seem to speak of a fun, balanced game.)

I swear I'm not trying to be a dick, I find the idea novel and interesting, but would like to hear more of your thoughts (or others') on the topic of getting a balanced, working class like that into the game.

Naz

May 13, 2009 1:24:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting ideas but I can also see it being a pain to balance, on the other hand I'd love to see a demigod which can heal and buff structures, at the same time a demigod able to such a thing would be highly affected by the structure citadel upgrades, which currently no demigod gets such a direct benefit from (gold,xp, and res penalty are direct benefit ones for all).
I feel that many of the ideas for different types could be fit into a variety of skills as opposed to lots of different types, similar to QoT having her skills while closed and open, one for building armies, the other for destroying armies.

But yeah if refined, and maybe just implemented as a couple of demigods (one for each faction, or if they implement a neutral faction which can fight for both, just the one) the idea has potential to be interesting.
I will certainly keep an eye on this thread to see what others think.

Swifty

May 13, 2009 1:51:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I do like the idea, but I think it would definately require an expansion.  As I see it, you are actually suggesting adding eight new demigods.  If there are 4 types of architect, that would require 4 new demigods for each side, would it not?  Maybe I'm not quite getting what you're saying.  8 new demigods seems like it might be a little much, even for an expansion.  I'd love to see 8 new DGs, but it seems like a lot of work.

I honestly love the idea, though.  I don't really like how, currently, if the enemy gets in your base, you're screwed.  Even if you fight them off, you still don't stand much of a chance, because they'll just be back, with no defenses.  Of course, that is what makes for a nice and short, lunch-break-sized game.  DGs that could repair and build buildings would seriously stretch it out.

There's my view on the ups-and-downs of the idea.

May 13, 2009 2:27:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was actually pointing at 4 new demigods... two for the light side, two for the dark side. The different types of architect were examples of how varied the class could become. You would want each demigod to have variation skills as well... maybe the builder gets an ability that lets it construct buildings faster than the other classes, and gets a weak buff, and gets to buy new strtucture items for cheaper.... but the reinforcer gets stronger buffs, still has to deal with long construction times and item costs, but might be able to summon an additional type of building or a skill that makes their attack stronger so they can join into the battle like the other gods.

Just like balancing the original demigods, this would take some considerable work to implement.

By spreading out the type of architects it becomes less static, from what I see. The demigod still has an attack potential and get some special attacks or buffs, and then gets a couple trees in their skills that account for their architect path.

This would definitely open a new strategic side for team play, and allows you to incorporate all those players that would rather hang back from the action when they can.

May 13, 2009 2:42:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMFG... a general demigod that could cause its building's to grow legs and join the march and battle against the enemy would be awesome too...

November 4, 2010 8:09:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice ideas guys...

I really want to see an expansion coming out, with MORE maps (2vs2-3vs3) and new demigods or even a new class aadded...

That would definitely change the tactics of a team, and more pple will join the game.. 

I don't think that graphics need to improve that much.. We really rely to every single player to improve the multyplaier mode.. The ones with quite older pcs should be able to play the game too... 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time: