The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Tuesday 5/12/2009

By on May 12, 2009 12:42:35 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well last night we released an update to the general public and it was a cluster. After investigating it, it appears that much of it had to do with users with the beta and users with the release getting into each others games (the version numbers of the exe and dll were the same and that’s what the servers check on). We also found and fixed the issue where people were ending up with “Test” names which occurred mostly when people with the beta were joining games hosted by someone with the release. And lastly, we found a case where a debug statement could cause a lobby crash when someone exited.

Anyway, they’re copying up the new update now but due to the time of day, the interwebs, they be slow this time of day.

This update doesn’t have the new EXE we received from GPG.  We wanted to get an update out quickly that took care of as much of the pain from last night as possible.

Meanwhile, the Raknet developer is here working with the Impulse team on the proxy updates that we hope will be up this week also.  I want to double check with GPG to make sure the favor point stuff is really nailed down here.

For those of you having problems, I share your continued frustration. I apologize for the inconvenience.  We have our top people working on this.  I wish I could say “Oh, it’s a bug and here’s how to fix it” but it’s simply a lot more complex than that when it comes to putting together a P2P match making system that has to work with so many different setups.

One of the things we’re doing on our end is to come up with an internal proxy system that will let people connect to other people via people they can connect to (got that?).

Let me draw a picture.

Here’s how P2P works today:

imageAlice must be able to connect to Bill, Sally, and John.

When Demigod shipped (1.0) Alice would call a NAT facilitator that would give Alice the IP address and port number to connect with Bill, Sally, and John.  The problem with that is that if Alice failed to connect to anyone, she couldn’t get into the lobby and NAT facilitation is slow.

With today’s update, Alice will first try to directly connect to Bill, Sally, and John on port 6112. If those people have that port open and forwarded to their PC, it will connect quickly. If that fails, it will resort back to the slow NAT.  If they connect to at least the host in a custom game, they enter the lobby and then begin trying to connect to everyone else in the lobby. Then, the host can at least pick and choose which people to keep and not keep if there’s someone with a poor net connection.

With the next update, it will work like this:

imageIn the event Alice can’t connect directly to Sally but could to Bill and John, our system will route the traffic through Bill and John based on who has the best ping.

Now, if Bill and John both disconnected from the game, Alice would get zapped.  But on the other hand, if Alice could only connect to 1 person (some people with Qwest have this problem) she could still play in a 10 person game because the other 8 people would be connected to her via the person she has a direct connection to.  The good news is, we have this working internally right now.  It’s not some theory but something we’re testing.  The bad news is that it probably won’t come up until next week.  But if this system works, it opens the door to all kinds of highly robust multiplayer scenarios.  Now if only we had thought of this a month ago…

+912 Karma | 90 Replies
May 12, 2009 8:40:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quick question.

Does Alice, Bill, John and Sally all have the correct favor points?

May 12, 2009 8:42:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Baphonaut,
hmm ...

worried you might be opening a new can of worms trying to go through one palyers machine to another ...

even if it does work, i'm thinking more lag, more desyncs, more disconnects

though i hope it works if you guys are commited to the design.

Not really, this only effects the cases wherein someone would go from Unable to Connect, to Shitty Connection.

For those of us who already make good connections, it will have exactly no effect.  Also, part of the reason that all users get to enter the game before finishing to connect, is so that the host can arbitrate such issues.  If you see someone with an abnormally high ping, it might be because he is connecting via host, and kicking them due to ping is an obvious option.

May 12, 2009 8:55:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks for the update, and all the hard work

May 12, 2009 8:56:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the .77 update today I'm now able to play Pantheon games for the first time.  Hooray!  Played one so far, and while I was paired up with an A.I. against two people, I still managed to win .  Looking forward to playing more.

May 12, 2009 9:07:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shedder, we should call them "Godesses"

May 12, 2009 9:09:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gorgeras,
Are you all thinking what I'm thinking?

Yep, Demigod has at least two girls playing.

Ya, and I'm proud to say one of them is my sister! She's a pretty sweet QoT and she plays under my user name.

May 12, 2009 9:56:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Holy!

I can get into lobbies for the very first time after getting latest update, I haven't tried playing though because there weren't any AUS/NZ games.

But the multiplayer connections are definitely improving, keep up the good work!

May 12, 2009 10:05:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There were quite a few NZ/AUS games last night even though I couldn't connect to them. And its not even released here retail yet. Yay!

May 12, 2009 10:06:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

stop hitting on alice, shes my e gurlfriend, i met her with demigod3k, playing with her was a whole new thrill!!

on a serious note patch before made my connections worse and this patch has done little to help

May 12, 2009 10:23:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's running much worse compared to beta.

May 12, 2009 11:01:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy,

FYI - hit a bug that I haven't before on this build.  Me and a buddy play a custom game.  At the start of the match (2 v 2 ai), he's in the game, can chat, but is unable to move.  After about a minute, he's able to move again.  Next game, he can't move at all initially, but can click to attack (but not click to move).  We drop that game.  Third game, no issues at all.  This guys been playing the game w/ me for some time, so I doubt its operator error.  Not sure if this has been cropping up for anyone else... hopefully a fluke. 

Re: connectivity - pantheon has been no better, no worse so far for me.  Going to try again and be patient and hopefully I'll be able to get into one w/o issue.  FYI - my comp typically connects, but I almost always see someone who is unable to connect to anyone and we just sit there in the lobby. 

Update 12:06AM ET - the very next attempt at pantheon, I connected successfully and was in game after 2-3 minutes.  4 players... 1 dropped when the game became playable.  1 person with us then said they couldn't see anything and that their display was garbled... but he was able to message in game.  Eventually, he chose to drop.  So, the initially 2v2 game became 1v1.  That played without issue. 

I also had a brief moment in that last game where I could not click on the ground to move away from some intense fighting.  I regained control by hitting escape or some keyboard combination... this happened twice in game.  Seems to be related to this build as I've never encountered this before. 

May 12, 2009 11:30:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Come on the next update .. looking good

May 12, 2009 11:42:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OMG seriously 1.01 concept seem really amazing.  This idea sound easy enough on paper but damn hard to implement. And you already did make it work already!! this is simply amazing!!

May 13, 2009 12:18:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Zeneroth - the concept sounds cool, but does also mean (if I understand it right) that if the 2 knuckleheads next to me drop, I'm out of the game.  While I doubt this will happen incredibly frequently, that does kinda suck.  Still, I'm a big fan of the solution over being stuck in lobbies screaming at the guy who can't connect for some reason. 

Also - go see Star Trek if you haven't already.  Loved Iron Man... Wolverine was okay... Star Trek crushed them both (IMO) easily. 

May 13, 2009 12:21:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cicatriz117,
Quick question.

Does Alice, Bill, John and Sally all have the correct favor points?

May 13, 2009 12:40:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I still could not get any games going tonight, so I finally tried a private 1v1 with someone.  That worked fine, but a 1v1 is not the best way to play this game (yech).  But, good news is even when the game would not get into a lobby, it did NOT lock up the game; I did not have to Alt-Tab or Ctrl-Alt-Del out even once and restart the game (or my entire computer).

I'm not that Tech-savy, but it sure is odd that lots that could connect are now having problems, and those that could'nt start games now can; the answer must lie in there somewhere. . . 

** Update:  Just got into a 4v4 game, pretty fast too.  Shocked.  No idea suddenly why I could.  VERY odd thing was, my roommate was like "HEY, how in the heck did you get in a game"?  And I'm like "What, I just got in and it started".  Then he says "But I just turned your Firewall back on?!?!"  So I checked, and ya, it was on this time.  Wonder if that could have ANYTHING to do with it? ***

May 13, 2009 1:53:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I tried two games after the Update.. this is my report:

Test Case 1: First game I tried it connected really fast so it was a dream..

Test Case 2: After that 1st game I tried another one.. I saw the connections starting to go through but then somebody decided to leave and then no one else could complete the connection.. so I canceled.

Test Case 3: After that failed game, I tried again, but DG could never establish any other connection.., I always got to the point where a match was found, but then after pulling the connection screen I could never see anyone connected.., This happened until I decided to restart the application (I my mind I believe this unloaded all DLLs).

Test Case 4: after reloading DemiGod again I could connect fairly fast.

I just tought it might be useful to the developers.. there still a couple of bugs hidding in there..

Congrats on fixing fairly fast the issues on this great game!

May 13, 2009 2:01:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey, so with the latest patch I can play fine on my own. But if my friend is here and on the same router we have the same ip, and also we can only forward the ports to one of us. We cant both be in a game at the same time,  if one tries to join it boots the other. This wasn't happening last week, it connected slow then but it still connected eventually, now it doesn't. This sucks.

May 13, 2009 2:28:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have noticed a lot faster connection times.  As econtrerasd as said, sometimes I get the connection information box pop up, but a connection is never bridged with anyone, i.e. the box is empty, and this continues (I believe) until I restart Demigod.  Once I have restarted Demigod, I can then resume connecting to people, and information appears in the box.

May 13, 2009 2:44:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Curoch,
Hi Guys

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but could someone make a changelog page (instead of the forum format)? My friends and I are trying to keep up with the updates as we have multiplayer issues, but its confusing because when someone comments on Frogboy's post it changes the ordering of the thread - sometimes I end up reading the same post again, or am unsure which thread goes first (especially if there are 2 threads in quick succession within 24-48 hours so they are dated similarly).

A simple HTML page with dates and a link to the right forum would be sufficient.

Thanks.

Try opening impulse and in the "My Games" tab, right click on Demigod and click "View History".

It should show a patch change log.

May 13, 2009 3:01:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I want my money back you idiots. I'll never buy a game from you again. I'm officially boycotting all the retard companies who worked on this game.

I understand you want to make a "new and improved" multiplayer experience with your NAT Transversal idea, but you really just slit your own throats. You've lost a ton of fans to this crap, including myself. If you want to reinvent the wheel, get it right first, don't jump in with a crappy budget and dismal management.

I'm back to playing DotA, which is clearly superior to this garbage.

No seriously, I want my money back.

May 13, 2009 3:02:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh yeah, one more thing. I think someone should submit this game to failblog.org. It seems more than appropriate.

May 13, 2009 3:04:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

** Update: Just got into a 4v4 game, pretty fast too. Shocked. No idea suddenly why I could. VERY odd thing was, my roommate was like "HEY, how in the heck did you get in a game"? And I'm like "What, I just got in and it started". Then he says "But I just turned your Firewall back on?!?!" So I checked, and ya, it was on this time. Wonder if that could have ANYTHING to do with it? ***

I got the patch yesterday, jumped into a 3v3 right away, played through with no problems. Came out, posted on the forums. Realised I never turned my SPI firewall off and had the same thought as you. Weird.

May 13, 2009 4:38:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You made those circles in photoshop didnt you?

May 13, 2009 5:04:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice but will we be able to manually assign that 6112 port or will it remain 6112.

In other words, will I and my wife be able to play from the same LAN versus people on the internet or will it keeps on fucking on like now where only one of us can play online in a given game at once?

Thanks for the good job, keep it up

K

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.