The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

GameRanger - It *STILL* Works for Multiplayer!

It now works with Windows 7!

By on May 11, 2009 11:41:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Straight up - I love this game, and I love to play with other people online.  Right now, I can't play with other people online, and it makes me a sad boy.  Are you like me?  Good - go get GameRanger, and your worries will disappear!

Since this last patch has, after just under 2 dozen attempts tonight, proven to make it unpossible for me to play online, I'll be going back to GameRanger to try and find games.  I'm hoping that more legit players do, too.

I have no doubt the connection issues will be worked out in time, but I'd rather play the game, even with 3rd party software, than not play the game at all.  I hope most of you feel the same, because the main drawback with GameRanger is that not enough legitimate players use it.  It is our BEST option right now (and, in many regards, has been for the past month) until the powers-that-be at Stardock are able to fix the connection issues we've been dealing with since release.

If you're skeptical, just try it.  It's a tiny file, it's a breeze to set up (takes less than 4 minutes from the time you click download to the time you're ready to join a game), it won't break your machine, and the savants at Microsoft had the foresight to include a snazzy uninstall utility with Windows should you decide that it isn't for you!  If you want, PM me, and we can set up a time and meet on GameRanger just so you can see how great it works.  It's not perfect - sometimes you have to restart a time or two to pick up everyone, but it's so seemless and, most importantly, quick, that it really isn't a pain.

Look for games with "v.0113" or "Legit Only" or something along those lines in the title.

*Oh, and Frogboy has even endorsed GameRanger several times over the past month as an alternative to the current system, so that's certainly saying something.

+3 Karma | 27 Replies
May 11, 2009 11:47:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm getting tired of this advertising.

May 12, 2009 2:15:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I shouldn't need to use a third party software to play a game that was released three weeks ago "finished".

May 12, 2009 2:35:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dokta_t you are identified as a "leaver" in another thread.  Lolz.

May 12, 2009 3:39:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

And what exactly is GameRanger?

May 12, 2009 5:09:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lord FireFox,

Its the name of a group of modern day cowboys that make a living hunting wild game - mostly foxes, deer, that sort of thing.  Gamerangers are skyrocketing in numbers through word of mouth over the internet.  You can find pictues of the animals they catch and buy the meat off ebay.  It's too hardcore for me.

May 12, 2009 5:20:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tidus1492,

I think he's done it to me a couple of times... Gotta love it

May 12, 2009 9:00:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm getting tired of this advertising.

Then don't click on the thread.

DoKTa_T, you were identified in another thread as a leaver. lolz.

If you'll notice, the guy who identified me as a leaver was identifying everyone who thought the thread identifying rage quitters was silly, including SubtleSalmon and a couple others I've played with who I know to *not* be rage quitters.

...what am I talking about, of course you won't notice .

I think he's done it to me a couple of times... Gotta love it

I think you've done it to me a couple times.  Gotta love it. 

See what I did there?  It's easy to toss around hearsay on the interwebs in an effort to malign someone.

I shouldn't need to use a third party software to play a game that was released three weeks ago "finished".

I agree 100%.  Would you rather not play multiplayer at all and/or be limited to 2v2s?

It's software that establishes connections between players for the games it supports.  It's very similar to GameSpy Arcade.

http://www.gameranger.com/

May 12, 2009 11:14:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I suppose we could use Gameranger and play with a bunch of pirate scrubs but that'd be like playing dodgeball with a grade 1 class and you're in grade 6. The game is pretty much perfect save for a few game-play issues and the connection. It's amazing how blind some of you complainers are.

May 12, 2009 11:26:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought i played a game with you doktaT?

May 12, 2009 12:10:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Xinoxlx
I suppose we could use Gameranger and play with a bunch of pirate scrubs but that'd be like playing dodgeball with a grade 1 class and you're in grade 6.

If you're using the latest version of the game, you *CANT* play with pirates - you can only play with other LEGITIMATE users.

The game is pretty much perfect save for a few game-play issues and the connection. It's amazing how blind some of you complainers are.

I defy you to find one single item in my original post where I complain.  Try reading it again - I LOVE THIS GAME - I HAVE NO DOUBT THE CONNECTION ISSUES WILL BE WORKED OUT IN TIME.  Who's blind, again?

We did, tassox - when it was the latest Beta.  If you're able to play multiplayer with others right now with the latest patch, that's great!  Most of us aren't so lucky.

May 12, 2009 12:43:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DoKTa_T,

Xinoxlx I suppose we could use Gameranger and play with a bunch of pirate scrubs but that'd be like playing dodgeball with a grade 1 class and you're in grade 6.
If you're using the latest version of the game, you *CANT* play with pirates - you can only play with other LEGITIMATE users.

The game is pretty much perfect save for a few game-play issues and the connection. It's amazing how blind some of you complainers are.
I defy you to find one single item in my original post where I complain.  Try reading it again - I LOVE THIS GAME - I HAVE NO DOUBT THE CONNECTION ISSUES WILL BE WORKED OUT IN TIME.  Who's blind, again?

We did, tassox - when it was the latest Beta.  If you're able to play multiplayer with others right now with the latest patch, that's great!  Most of us aren't so lucky.

Wasn't what you said but how you said it, your attitude.Your attitude bugs me that you simply can't wait, you simply have to play the game.

As for using it doesn't matter if lets me play with pirates or not. The in-game system works fine for me people who it doesn't work for, I ask you. Have you tried everything to get the offcial system to work or did you simply stop trying because you had one error? If you have tried to fix it and still didn't work then by all means go use game ranger. Just remember that stardock can only fix problems on their end, not yours.

May 12, 2009 12:52:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Xinoxlx,

Wasn't what you said but how you said it, your attitude.Your attitude bugs me that you simply can't wait, you simply have to play the game.

I too think that it is unreasonable that you believe the game should have a working multiplayer mode 3 weeks after release.

May 12, 2009 1:04:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AdHonorem,

If you prefer not playing at all, it's your problem. meanwhile we'll enjoy the game we bought however we can.

May 12, 2009 1:06:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melric,

Quoting Xinoxlx, reply 11

I too think that it is unreasonable that you believe the game should have a working multiplayer mode 3 weeks after release.

You can't really say that unless you could have already fixed the problem yourself. You don't know all the issues they have to deal with. Saying it should be fixed is easy, ACTUALLY fixing it is much harder.

May 12, 2009 3:17:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Xinoxlx

Yeah... I think Melric expressed my sentiments on this already.  We customers should learn not to embrace superior match-making systems - they only spoil us by letting us play as intended.

As for using it doesn't matter if lets me play with pirates or not.

That's good, change your stance when your ignorance shows.  It sure seemed to be damned important to you when you brought it up earlier.

people who it doesn't work for, I ask you. Have you tried everything to get the offcial system to work or did you simply stop trying because you had one error?

Well, I obviously stopped trying after that 1 error I got back on April 16.  That's the correct answer, right?

If you have tried to fix it and still didn't work then by all means go use game ranger. Just remember that stardock can only fix problems on their end, not yours.

By and large, the problem isn't on our end.  Frogboy said last night in chat that the problem was the volume of people trying to make connections at that time.  The Impulse infrastructure couldn't handle it.  I had many, many successful games on .0105 and the two betas leading up to last night, and once yesterday's release was out, all that went out the window.  Right now, the system is the metaphorical little girl with a curl right in the middle of her forehead.

That being said, I had a successful game today around 12:00 CST (GMT -6) over the Impulse system.  What was different between it and last night?  The number of people online.  I hope I'm wrong, but I fully expect it to be a nightmare again tonight between 20:00 CST and 23:00 CST when prime time hits, and I'll end up loading up GameRanger and waiting for a game.

Why do people take exception, seemingly even offense, to the very mention of a better system than Impulse to play this game?  No one wants to use an alternative matchmaking system forever, and no one is advocating that notion; everyone wants the in-game multiplayer to work better than it does now.  In the mean time, GameRanger works better than the existing system when there are many connections trying to be made.

May 12, 2009 3:24:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
May 12, 2009 3:34:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DoKTa_T,

Quotes taken out of context or think they're directed at only me.

Seems to me you're the only one taking offense since you're so quick to go to personal attacks. I admit I didn't know if Gameranger would pair me with pirates or not. Shame on me for trying  the suggestions given to get the offcial system to work. Shockingly enough they made the offcial system to work. Can everyone who has come to this thread or simply everyone who plays gameranger, say they've tried to do the same? 

Yes majority of problems are on Stardocks end but, some people who can't even get it to work run the possibility of still not being able to get it to work when the system is fixed.

Don't worry this post was directed at only you.

May 12, 2009 3:36:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gameranger does work better than the actual game right now. That being said this game has frustrated the hell out of me, im taking a break until the thursday patch.

Quoting Tidus1492,

Yeah what Dokta_t already said, that post is a joke and he just listed everybody in that thread as a "leaver".

May 12, 2009 3:44:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the support, guys.  Hopefully things will work tonight one way or another :-/

May 12, 2009 3:51:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can everyone who has come to this thread or simply everyone who plays gameranger, say they've tried to do the same?

To be honest, alternative methods like Gameranger have worked more effectively for me and the people I play with since the game released so I really haven't had a reason to keep beating my head against the Impulse system.  No port-forwarding or any other tweaks required.

I'm sure the official channel works fine now for some, if not most but I see no reason to knock a system that's worked since the outset with minimal effort.

May 12, 2009 5:01:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

PLEASE more legit players use gameranger until the offical works.. my friends and I all play and it seems like there are no legit games on there.

May 12, 2009 5:07:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's why even I (the guy who originally was part of the advocating of the alternatives until stuff gets fixed) quit pushing and using Game Ranger....it seems for every legit on there, a dozen pirates show up. And they still try to join legit games, even though they can't play, because I'm convinced the pirates still have the "trying to win" attitude. However, as noted in other posts and in the Game Ranger update, they're soon going to start requiring the patched versions to play.

When they get around to that, and if I'm still having connectivity issues, I'll come be lurking again. Otherwise, I'm just gonna chill until the storm blows over...Just hopped on to the internet games today with the new update and couldn't even connect to, well, anything, where the Netplay was actually working a bit better for me last week. Oh well.

May 12, 2009 6:19:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GameRanger should check if the player is using the updated game, or the "popular" pirated .91 version.

It is a shame that GameRanger, which was endorsed by Stardock, does not check if Demigod is updated.

May 12, 2009 6:29:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sakhari,

Can everyone who has come to this thread or simply everyone who plays gameranger, say they've tried to do the same?
To be honest, alternative methods like Gameranger have worked more effectively for me and the people I play with since the game released so I really haven't had a reason to keep beating my head against the Impulse system.  No port-forwarding or any other tweaks required.

I'm sure the official channel works fine now for some, if not most but I see no reason to knock a system that's worked since the outset with minimal effort.

Not knocking it, simply saying try to get the offcial system to work, if you can't go ahead and use Gameranger. Used to use hamachi till I got the offcial system to work.

May 13, 2009 3:58:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can someone help me !!!!! PLSSSSSS

When i am enter in game ranger some server it says Symmetric NAT router prob witch port nubers shall i tape and where pls help

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.