The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Full-length video of my 2vs2 game with Frogboy last night

Oak (Frog) & Torch (Mystic) vs QoT (Shiny) and Beast (Sizzle)

By on May 9, 2009 9:31:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I recorded a game with Frogboy (Brad Wardell - CEO of Stardock) last night, and figured I'd put it up for you folks to check out.  We had a two versus two match shortly after the latest beta patch was released, and the game was surprisingly good. 

It is 43 minutes in length, and in high definition.  I have a direct download link up right now with it in 720P HD, however the file size is 1.8GB (yes, GB).  If you would like to direct download the video via right-click save as, visit the following directory:

http://www.ohmwrecker.com/demigod/

I believe my web host allows 50 concurrent connections at once, so if you cannot get through, please try again later.  I also ask that you please not stream the file, just download it so that you don't take up a connection that someone else can use.  I will update this post once the Youtube links are live. 

Oh, and I'm not sure if replays work in beta via the methods previously posted on GameReplays.org, but I've included the .rep file if you'd rather watch that. 

You can also watch the game via Youtube: 

Youtube Links:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0skJ7krGtE&fmt=22
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwKdfwijNc&fmt=22
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qtMA1CElQM&fmt=22
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z3N63bpNL4&fmt=22
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzrZcoRdjvE&fmt=22

+12 Karma | 41 Replies
May 9, 2009 9:51:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Watched it a while ago, fun game to watch!

Frogboy wasn't a bad Oak!

May 9, 2009 10:04:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oak is Frogboy's favorite.

Which is why it is my favorite. Oak buffs

May 9, 2009 10:12:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't get an option to "Save as". Vista blows, i guess

May 9, 2009 10:15:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.8 GIG

any chance for a lower quality one?

May 9, 2009 11:04:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll leave the lower res stuff to Youtube I think.  I'm uploading videos to Youtube for the second time actually, since my first encode was at 1080P but Youtube resized it to the point that it looked extremely crunched and awkward.  I'll have to see how this second batch looks, otherwise I'll just encode at a 480P equivalent resolution and put it up for direct download. 

May 9, 2009 11:06:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah...tha's a little too big for me atm, since i'm downloading Left 4 Dean and SupComm right too.

I look forward to the Youtube vid.

May 9, 2009 11:33:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're a pretty good ice Torchbearer. Don't too many good icys.   Mostly fire.

May 10, 2009 12:09:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know exactly what you are doing Mystic.. one thing.. don't go chasing the UB specially when there is a QoT in the area.. it will be an excercise in frustration.  This time, the QoT was busy adding herself the shield, but don't walk into towers until you are about 6+ with 1500 armor. (narmmoth or something of the likes.  I can't remeber the right name)

May 10, 2009 12:18:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And minimize stats!

May 10, 2009 12:30:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am half way through the game.. and there are a few things you needed to do.  1) You should have obtained the regen tower immediately.  2) Get gold second.  You would've had all the armor you have at this point plus some extra gold.  You are also more of a support class, you are supposed to help oak freeze enemies to get more kills.  I am still watching.

May 10, 2009 12:31:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Right.. what tesser said. Have a plan on your skills.. I noticed you were picking them randomly  Try to minimize the stats skills unless you are going full on stat (I normally do this until level 16.. I just put all points in stats instead of fireball)

May 10, 2009 12:55:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just watched the whole thing. You are such a noob! I couldnt resist yelling at my computer screen.

So many better things you coulda done! oh man...  Frogboy musta been like "Oh boy... a noob" IRL haha.

Oh well, you lucky dog. Thanks for the upload!

May 10, 2009 12:57:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK.. just saw the whole thing..  One thing.. when you have a lot of money and you don't know where to put it.. don't go directly for armor or something for your guy.  Ice frost bearers don't really speciallize in killing other demigods.  Put it in your citadel.

May 10, 2009 12:59:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ahem, anyway. 

On a non-nitpicking note, it looked like a real fun game

May 10, 2009 1:01:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wanto to fight Frogboy..... and kick his ass! , no really it looked like a pretty good game.

May 10, 2009 1:39:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shedding,
I am half way through the game.. and there are a few things you needed to do.  1) You should have obtained the regen tower immediately.  2) Get gold second.  You would've had all the armor you have at this point plus some extra gold.  You are also more of a support class, you are supposed to help oak freeze enemies to get more kills.  I am still watching.

I figured Brad would have grabbed regen, but it didn't hurt us really at all.  Gold I rarely invest in, there aren't enough gold mines on the map (just the two capturable ones).  I was more interested in getting gold via kills, although I do admit that there were obviously far fewer kills than most 2v2s mainly due to the QoT shield.  I do not consider Ice Frost more of a support class, they are extremely offensive when used correctly.

Here was my last game with Brad, you can see even on the opposing team where we lost I matched him with an Ice TB:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9485/frogboygame1.jpg

Quoting Shedding,
OK.. just saw the whole thing..  One thing.. when you have a lot of money and you don't know where to put it.. don't go directly for armor or something for your guy.  Ice frost bearers don't really speciallize in killing other demigods.  Put it in your citadel.

Actually, you'd be surprised what the ice frost is capable of in PVP.  I was going against a beast and QoT though who kept applying shields, that's the only thing that slowed me down.  Considering that normally I can freeze, ice storm, and shatter, I've got pretty lethal abilities at my disposal.  9 out of 10 games as Ice I rank #1 in k/d/r with most kills.  Blizzard at top rank leaves a continued chill / slowdown.  In terms of cash, I almost always knew where I wanted to put it, I was saving for more expensive items. 

Quoting Chaosnaska,
I just watched the whole thing. You are such a noob! I couldnt resist yelling at my computer screen.

So many better things you coulda done! oh man...  Frogboy musta been like "Oh boy... a noob" IRL haha.

Oh well, you lucky dog. Thanks for the upload!

Are you being sarcastic?  I'm confused.  End of game stats looked pretty good to me, and I've held top 100 / 10 ladder spots in almost every RTS game I dedicated my time to.  While I did not get nearly as many kills as I normally do, I think I played very well as ice and was supportive when Brad needed help. 

Thanks for the feedback guys, Youtube vids are almost finished.

May 10, 2009 3:05:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, they really need to impliment the replay movies for this game, they are just too huge to watch in high def, and Utube is not that great and convieintient to watch a game, especially from just one players perspective.

May 10, 2009 3:14:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm watching through the video and I'm pretty impressed! You and Frogboy help up pretty well considering how tough the other side was.

I do have one tip though. Even though you're a pure ice frost build, you should consider the advantages of switching in between forms for the extra mana regen and the increased damage. It's great to do while you're capping a flag or sitting in a lane waiting for the next set of reinforcements to come. Yes, you become vulnerable while switching, but the advantages can be the difference between sticking it out or heading back to the crystal to get more mana.

May 10, 2009 3:35:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks again for the feedback and advice everyone.  The Youtube links are all finished processing now, so you can watch them in either SD or HD.  I'll leave the direct download link up as well if you'd like, along with the replay file.

To Darth, once in awhile I'll do a hybrid build, but I find typically for tank purposes it's usually better to get that extra HP, Mana, Regen, and Damage from the health tree.  Mana regen is really only an issue early to mid game.  By mid to late, you usually have solid helms, high tier potions, or unique items like the heart of life or the favor item that gives you a portion of your damage back as mana (works fantastic with blizzard).  Plus by the end game if you work your cash right you'll be relying more off your melee damage along with support abilites than direct damage ones. 

May 10, 2009 4:59:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't care that it's 1.8GB if your webhost doesn't. I'm downloading at 10% so far and looking forward to this. I enjoyed Multianna's game vid recently, I'm sure yours will be even more entertaining given how experienced the players are. Hopefully I'll learn something.

Sorry - Newb question, but how do you record a game like this?

May 10, 2009 5:56:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2vs2 on cat = blah....

No currency vs QoT is bad.

UB + QoT??? uhhh

The no hp regen on towers / lack of currency. Which currency rank1 does pay for itself.  I just find odd. I don't think I've ever let a "Soul Oak" roll over any of my Demigods.

mmmmmmmmhmmmm

I need to see what I can do to run fraps.

May 10, 2009 10:53:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, just a little bit of a critique on your game.

1. Saving up for a 4k breastplate as the first thing you buy after the start?! The cheaper items are much more efficient converting gold to stats and there is opportunity cost in losing stats early even if they were more expensive and that certainly isn't a TB's priority buying health before getting any decent regen.

2. Not buying consumables until late game. Not a single health or mana potion in the entire game. They are extremely useful. It takes about 10 minutes before a scaled helm generates more mana than spending that gold on potions, for example.

3. Not countering UB's spit. He forced you back to your crystal so many times with one ability. Get health potions, get more health regen, get Oak to send you a priest, there are scrolls that remove it, you could deep freeze it when he is casting it and there is even a favour item that removes all debuffs with a 30 seconds cooldown.

4. ...which led to going to the crystal constantly. You would never be out of mana if you spent just ~3k on mana regen helms. UB's spit is always going to be a real annoyance but it shouldn't force you back so often.

5. ...culminating in much less xp than you should have gotten and less flags.

6. As was said, tower regen. It makes it much harder to kill them over time. You have great aoe and should be able to pretty effectively protect your towers from being killed by a mob. Even tower attack upgrades 1 and 2 (3 onwards is terrible) are great when you can afford them (TB should be able to manage) - they massively increase the tower's aoe damage and they can stop those hordes of grunts and priests being a threat, which means less babysitting.

7. Currency, as was said. It's cheap and pays for itself in a couple minutes

8. Playing pure frost, you could at least switch to fire and back for 15 seconds of +50% mana regen when no one is around.

The other team got priests and then failed to push with them. And you were a TB able to one-shot waves with ease. This allowed you to gain a massive level advantage which you used to push them back.

I would comment on others but it was only from your PoV so I couldn't see what exactly they were doing. The UB for example gave the impression of not playing the mid to late game well. He gave a kill or two but more importantly he had opportunities where he meleed you for several seconds yet his damage was terrible. With bramble shield spam he should have been farming anyone who didn't keep their distance. Your 4k armor gave 30% further reduction to autoattack but that shouldn't have been enough in itself. He was 4 or so levels behind I believe which is very significant but he had plenty of gold to work with at that point. I don't know... anyone with more experience with UB want to point out why my expectations are wrong?

May 10, 2009 11:05:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The main problem was gold flow wasn't sufficient, there were far fewer kills that normal mainly due to the QoT shield.  I don't normally save up for that chest plate right away, and I do normally get some consumables.  There was just not enough cash flow, and based off the kills I usually get I don't need to pay for gold from the mines.  None of the players in the game were able to predict the future.  Also, how often do you see a QoT in a 2v2?  Very rarely, shield is usually not something you have to worry about.  I was not in the beta, and I've only had to deal with the QoT a handful of times since everyone either plays Erebus, Rook, Beast, or Regulus.

I didn't mind that the UB was spitting, the game turned into way more of a flag control game than a kill the Demi game again mainly due to the shield.  It was very very difficult to get the damage out, think about how much more damage we had to inflict on both players time after time.  The QoT was very good about keeping protection on, normally I'd have 2-3x more kills (and gold) but it was just a struggle to get the proper damage output to kill one of them.

Finally, the Beast had to consistently deal with being frozen (resulting in a slow down), plus my aura (resulting in an additional slowdown), then later the chilling ice storms as well.  I go head to head with beasts mid to late all the time, and playing as ice really helps neutralize their damage output. 

Regarding the mana helms, 3k is a lot when you don't have good gold flow.  The tower losses did not hurt us in the end game, actually I kind of wanted those front towers gone so I could have the creeps meet in the middle for blizzard waves (two birds, one stone).  A Fire / Frost switch was pointless when I had a heart of life.  I also had the ice aura, which as far as I know increases my own regen as well as allies. 

I also want to point out that it is extremely easy to critique someone while watching a replay or point of view video, even the best players.  I used to admin at the GameReplays forums and have been a long time on and off again member there, and we saw this all the time.  Sometimes as a viewer you have to take a step back and remember that mistakes or the "what ifs" are very visible after the fact, but not during the game.  What matters is how those actions affected the end result, and despite dealing with a very solid QoT and shield spam Frog and I pushed through with a solid victory.

May 10, 2009 11:18:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great video!

May 10, 2009 12:11:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lack of usage of consumable items and no totem of revelation hurt you a lot in early game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.