The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Finding Packet-sniffing programs

By on May 9, 2009 6:27:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been having ping trouble and have made a couple posts on it, but to sum it all up, I'm getting fine ping in the lobby, then when the game starts it spikes up and hovers around 1k+. It may be packet sniffing, so I'm trying to see if I have any packet sniffing programs. Is there a way to tell which programs are packet sniffing?

I suspect AVG antivirus and Iolo System Mechanic as the culprits, but am uncertain. Anyone know how to disable sniffing on these programs (if they have it)? Note: I've tried disabling Iolo firewall and antivirus, as well as AVG.

Edit: This only happens in matches with 6+ players.

+24 Karma | 11 Replies
May 9, 2009 7:06:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think it's related to packet sniffing, at least not on the user side. I have the exact problem and i've tested the game under a fresh Windows 7 (just drivers and Demigod), and it spikes just the same as before.

Did you tried the latest beta patch?

If the next patch doesn't help, i think we will be in that 10% (or 5%, whatever) of users that can not play the game at all and nobody cares about.

May 9, 2009 7:14:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, tried the latest patch The problem continues. At least I have Pantheon and Skirmish.

May 9, 2009 8:21:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't just disable, uninstall those extra firewalls and AV! Having AV running in the background will lag your game, it's that simple. Try to disable your AV from starting when you start your PC and just use it to scan once a week or even once a month. You could uninstall AV and just install it periodically to check for threats.

May 10, 2009 6:52:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whatever problem you have is shared by me and a smaller group of people around, right down to the only at 6+ players bit.

I can save you some trouble and tell you that I did everything within my power to solve the problem, including disabling and uninstalling, clean installs, direct modem-PC connection with everything disabled, etc., and nothing effected it at all. So basically it's either your/our ISPs or some obscure problem with Demigods netcode.

May 10, 2009 9:28:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I could talk to my ISP, but i really, really don't know how to tell them so they understand what's my problem. I can't blame them though, as i'm happy with my net connection because everything works. Just not Demigod.

May 10, 2009 9:52:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what happens in SupCom when you play an eight player match? (presuming you have SupCom, that is)

i think your bandwidth might not be enough for actual gameplay; sure you can connect to everyone and send a few packets to people, but what happens when you send a few hundred packets?

a small piece of trivia that i recently learnt; computer networks are just like road network, where as little as a 5% increase in traffic (cars or packets) can push the system into bottlenecking.

i think you should be looking at you upstream and downstream usage whilst in the lobby, and in-game.

May 10, 2009 7:39:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've had my maximum upstream and downstream on my connection tested before, but how do I test how much of it is getting -used-?

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

May 10, 2009 9:27:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Use this: http://www.bwmonitor.com/

I've tested it in a 4v4 match, lagging the game with spikes over 1000, and the bandwidth monitor showed only an usage of 17-20 KB/s upload, and that's well in my limit. In a 2v2 game i have an usage of 2-4 KB/s, so it does scale, but i have the bandwidth for it (my maximum upload rate is ~100 KB/s).

May 11, 2009 2:05:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So I haven't run into a 3v3 lately, but I tested the program out on a 2v2, and it told me I was using up ~50 kbps. Therefore, would I need to be able to hit 150 kbps for a 5v5? And if so, why would I have a problem when I've got an upload rate of 400 kbps? Maybe I'm reading this thing wrong...

May 13, 2009 12:34:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i took my router of the picture completely due to this, but now i'm thinking i was just in a couple game with ppl who caused this issue because I have 0 problems lately (maybe one ppl who caused this stop joining big games?).

May 16, 2009 1:49:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still having issues-- in a 3v3, my usage is 75-100 kb. Any ideas?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.