The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

My computer exceeds the minimum specs. Why is my sim speed so low???

By on May 9, 2009 5:43:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even at the lowest settings, my sim speed is at best 4. If, say, both sides field catapaults and giants, it starts to go down to 1 or 0, and often desyncs occur as a result.

Here are my PC's specs:

2.41 GHz AMD Athlon 64 dual core processor

2 GB Ram

NVIDIA 8600 GE, 256 MB video RAM

I have a dual display; could that be sucking up too much of my graphics card's resources? I also typically have a few programs running in the background, such as AIM and Firefox. I'll try shutting those down, but I doubt that they are the issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

+2 Karma | 10 Replies
May 9, 2009 8:16:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all I would suggest turning all your graphics settings in the game to low. Try that and see if it helps. Also try to shut down every process you don't need before starting the game. Instant messengers such as AIM in the background will definitely lag your game.

As for dual monitor. Yes I believe dual monitor setups multiply the work your graphics card must do and will make any full screen game unplayable.

May 10, 2009 3:38:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And if the above isn't the issue, you might take a look at this thread: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348232

There have been issues reported with the sound system slowing down both the FPS and sim speed and they're working on it. Maybe you're on of the people who have this issue.

The beta version that got out this weekend seems to help a lot so far. At least for the few people who have tried the beta.

May 10, 2009 3:41:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

try low or med. I have Sli 8800GTS with 6gb of ram on Althon 64 X2 4200+ (2.21Ghz), and I can't have it on high. I might upgrade my CPU. I have mines set to med, no AA with Vsync on.

May 10, 2009 6:09:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Turn off REVERB and see if it improves!

May 10, 2009 6:26:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it starts to go down to 1 or 0, and often desyncs occur as a result.

low sim speed and desyncs are totally unrelated and as long as the sim speed isn't below zero it doesn't affect the game at all if you play on normal gamespeed.

May 10, 2009 11:12:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,

it starts to go down to 1 or 0, and often desyncs occur as a result.
low sim speed and desyncs are totally unrelated and as long as the sim speed isn't below zero it doesn't affect the game at all if you play on normal gamespeed.

Yeah, this is what I thought to be honest, given the above explanation of "sim speed." Thanks for letting me know. However, is it possible that only my average sim speed was 1, and that it could be dipping down to below temporarily, resulting in the desyncs?

Anyway, the above issue is with all the graphics settings at their lowest AND with sound at low fidelity/no reverb.

I tried disactivating dual monitors and shutting down other programs, and even still my sim speeds are quite low. I will try also shutting down background processes and see if it helps any.

Thanks for help guys

I hate to say it, but if I can't resolve this issue, this along with the netcode problems will probably tip me over the edge to request a 75% refund. It's nothing against Stardock or GPG; it's just that games are expensive and I'm a relatively poor grad student. I'll definitely be buying into the Elemental beta in June.

May 10, 2009 11:25:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh lol, let me try this too... though I will miss the sound ;_;

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348232

May 11, 2009 12:00:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oi, so using a "/nosound" tag did increase my sim speed. It is now normally at around 7 or 8. I'll send an email to Stardock as they requested informing them that DG's sound is giving me performance issues. I sure hope that they fix this so that I can listen to the glorious thunderous voice declare "SMITTER" and what not.

So... sorry for cluttering the Tech Support forum needlessly with another thread

May 11, 2009 2:20:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

your graphix card sucks bro, running a game usen dual monitors will slow down the pc too.

May 22, 2009 12:02:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Darken_Rahl,
your graphix card sucks bro, running a game usen dual monitors will slow down the pc too.

I actually have 512 MB of VRAM.

Also, my card doesn't "suck"... it's far better than even the recommended one.

And again, this was a bug that had to do with sound slowing DG down on certain systems for some reason. This problem has been taken care of with a patch.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.