The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

We’re still up

By on May 7, 2009 11:15:54 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well, it’s apparently Thursday at 9:18am.  The dev team here is still here working on “Wednesdays” beta update.  As some of you know, while there have been updated to Demigod, we have not released any connectivity updates to the game yet because once we realized the architecture for the MP was inadequate, we concluded we needed to redo it.  We’re pretty close (that’s why we’re still here, it’s like a game in itself – one more turn…one more compile and then it’ll be ready). 

We’ll keep you posted.

Update 10:54am, Thursday

So as you know, we’re working on improving the included MP match making. What we have now is a night and day difference for most users. 

So what’s the issue?

Early on, a design decision was made that didn’t seem like a big deal at the time but is making getting this new system harder to debug. That is, the Raknet library connects a player to another player and then hands over the socket to Demigod itself. Once in the game, they are connected using a different port (that’s why Demigod uses more than one port currently). The problem is, the server is still trying to connect to the user on the old port and when it can’t it disconnects them after a time out.  Seems pretty trivial to fix (or at least it did to us) but that’s where we’ve been stuck for the past several hours is trying to figure out why it’s not removing the old record from its database. 

So we’re pretty spent at this point so we’re going to hand it off to the next crew and pick it up after we get some sleep.  It’s frustrating because it’s so close and it’s such a major improvement both in terms of speed (you get into the lobby in less than a couple seconds), reliability, and scalability (this should be able to handle huge numbers of connections).  But we can’t seem to get the bloody thing to remove the outdated record with the host’s old port address.

Example:

Joe on 10.1.1.10:6112 hosts a game.

Alice on 192.168.1.10:6112 joins.

The two connect and the socket is handed to Demigod and we’re connected to each other on port 6112 inside of Demigod.

Now, we start listening for more people to join and the port becomes 6114 for both of us.  But server still has a record of Joe on 10:1.1.10:6112, can’t ping it, declares him dead and no longer sees the user at all.

Like I said, it seems trivial to solve. At 3am, we were certain it we’d solve it in a few minutes. And at 11:05am (now) we are still there.

Now, a network savvy person (someone not me) will likely say how silly it is that it hands off the socket.  Both Stardock and GPG agree. It was one of those decisions made long ago that is annoying and is being addressed in parallel.

Which is something else I should point out: Think of the support of Demigod occurring in 4 parallel mini-teams.

You have team 1 which I’m directing which is focused on making the MP matchmaking in Demigod work well very very soon as in, by this weekend. BTW, favor points are fixed here now. This update will allow lots of people who can’t currently connect to connect (i.e. we had a lot of success with people who have never been able to connect).

You have team 2 which is headed by our chief architect (the Impulse team) that is working on better solutions but ones that will take longer (>a few days but < a month) which include things like the proxy servers, a more robust skirmish/pantheon match making system that takes ping into account rather than geographic location, supports larger teams, eliminates bots from experienced player matches, eliminates the multiple ports, and a ton of other things.

You have team 3 which is headed up by the lead engineer at Gas Powered Games. He’s working on things like making performance better for low end systems, adding modes so we can do Demigod: Clan Wars (free DLC for this Summer), implementing more robust rules for competitive play, bug fixes, etc.

And then you have team 4 which is headed up at GPG to work on new content and balance changes. New items, new Demigods, game rule changes, updated abilities, new maps, and so on.

Since I write most of the blogs, you mostly hear about Team 1.

Anyway, stay tuned.   In the meantime, have fun!

+912 Karma | 84 Replies
May 7, 2009 9:25:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope you can enjoy a relaxed weekend after tomorrow .

May 7, 2009 9:28:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm really looking forward to the patch today.I have high hopes it will fix a lot of peoples problems.Hopefully it works out ok and you guys can have a nice weekend.

May 7, 2009 9:28:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Appreciate the update. 

May 7, 2009 9:29:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah get some rest as soon as you can. Thanks for all the hardwork. This game is awesome and i look forward to your future releases.

May 7, 2009 9:29:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If by relaxed you mean sleep through both days.. then yeah, they probably will.

*sends a fuel truck filled with hot coffee to SD office*

May 7, 2009 9:29:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice keep up the good work guys!

Hope to see the results soon

May 7, 2009 9:30:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bloody hell, that's dedication/

May 7, 2009 9:39:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, you need a twitter account

May 7, 2009 9:41:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey Frogboy, thanks for the update.

Hope you can also fix the "stuck at map loading screen" bug that came with the latest beta (.108). Very infuriating

Good luck.

May 7, 2009 9:41:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I highly recommend Sparks Plus .

Malt Beverage + Energy Drink = Win. Recommend holding off on consumption till after leaving the office.

May 7, 2009 9:45:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

now please fix the issue when u crash u get an invalid username/PW when trying to relog

May 7, 2009 9:47:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hope you can also fix the "stuck at map loading screen" bug that came with the latest beta (.108). Very infuriating

Does it happen in single player too?

May 7, 2009 9:48:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod is still a great game and I continue to recommend it to my friends, despite the online multiplayer issues.  I have no doubt that the issues will be resolved soon and in the meantime, Demigod was the center focus of our recent LAN party...worked like a charm.

May 7, 2009 9:48:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys must have your own starbucks in your building. If not I guess that would be a good investment

Thanks for the updates.

May 7, 2009 9:50:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Both the Stardock and GpG people are going above and beyond with this one. Thanks for the great support guys.

May 7, 2009 9:52:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

No hasn't happened in single player for me. It has been happening every time with custom games since I got 108.

Haven't been able to try Skirmish with human players, but didn't happen with Skirmish when I got placed in an AI game.

May 7, 2009 9:56:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have had it happen in Skirmish with all AIs.

In facr it got so bad that I uninstalled and reinstalled the original game and turned off beta updates so that I could play again.

May 7, 2009 9:57:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I've had it happen on a custom game just earlier this evening. Everything connects and goes well, then you get the loading screen before the match starts, and it just sits there forever. Shift+tab and such responds, and the loading animation still glows, so its not frozen, the game just never loads.

May 7, 2009 9:58:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also appreciate the work that you guys and gals are doing to fix this game ASAP. Honestly, I was mildly curious about the game becuase I enjoyed DOTA. After I heard about you getting hammered with pirates and reading these journal updates, it shows that you care about this game. I bought it, and I haven't regretted it. Thanks for your hard work to help provide a service of entertainment to your user. I think people forget that this is only a game and not a life or death sitaution.  

May 7, 2009 10:17:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I only found it to happen in multiplayer w/ the latest 0.0108 beta. It seems to load fine in single player.

May 7, 2009 10:34:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, I feel your pain. I'm a developer too and we've had a few rough crunch times around milestones and submissions. Demigod is excellent and I'm quite excited to see the game take off with some improved MP connectivity. A huge pat on on the back is due for the entire team thats been pushing to solve these issues, we all appreciate it greatly. Also, I think it's great you manage to find the time to keep us updated and involved as a community. It's great hearing from devs like this. Keep up the good work!

May 7, 2009 10:44:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fingers are crossed.

May 7, 2009 10:55:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm looking forward to the update and hope that it'll fix most of the connectivity problems

May 7, 2009 11:07:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Freezing bug has happened to me in multiplayer a painful # of times.  My friend and I played 2 solid 3v3 games on Tuesday night with all human opponents.  Following that we attempted to play about six additional games.  All six 'froze' at the loading screen.  We could see the map and the pulsing light/darkness icon as well as the "Conquest" label but we just sat there.  Eventually someone would leave and we would hear the "A player has left the game" quote, but nothing else happens.  Occasionally when we first launched we would see a brief "Waiting for Player" box as well. 

Wednesday night we probably made about 12 attempts to get into a game.  We each tried hosting as well as joining someone else.  At one point we made a closed game just to see if it launched with the 2 of us.  It worked.  However, when we tried to launch again a short time later with AI it did not work.  Finally we started a game through Game Ranger with AI and we were able to play.

(I mentioned the "Conquest" text above because on one attempt to launch that word was replaced with "[no text]" and the game actually froze forcing a manual power-down).

May 7, 2009 11:08:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How good does coffee taste when you have been up for 24 hours though!

The beta still has some bugs, but it's looking like you should solve the multiplayer this time round which is great!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.