The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

For Curiosity's Sake.. What's So Good About World of Goo?

By on May 5, 2009 8:58:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I keep hearing all these great things about World of Goo but from what I've seen of it, I can't determine how the game is actually played.

Can anyone shed some light? What did you think was so great about World of Goo and is it worth my money to buy and my time to play? I mean, there has to be some reason why it won all those awards right?

+24 Karma | 7 Replies
May 5, 2009 9:33:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game is sort of like a bridge building + lemmings type game. Your goal is to get a certain amount of goo balls to the exit point, but you have to use the goo balls to build the structure to get there. Not all the goo acts in the same way (some stretch, some float, etc.) and the structure you build won't be rigid so you often have to get creative about how you get to the end.

So that's the basis of the gameplay, but the presentation is just outsanding (IMO). I really enjoyed the art and music, the balls of goo "feel" right when you're moving them around. The sounds that the goo makes fits, etc. I had an absolute blast figuring out the puzzels because the gameplay is solid, the puzzels are interesting and the setting is pleasing to the senses.

Of course, that's all my opinion and obviously I had a great time with the game I think my only complaints would be that I want more levels and that the resolution is fixed at something like 800x600 or something. The resolution doesn't matter for gameplay, just for native LCD resolution.

There's a demo, so why not grab that and see what the fuss is about?

May 5, 2009 10:17:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ah... yeah the demo.. because I have a crap connection and downloading takes awhile and slows down everyone else's connection too, so I'm pretty picky about what I download.

But yeah, I might check it out. I've seen the trailer for it and it looked interesting, I just couldn't quite figure out what the point of the game was.

May 5, 2009 10:37:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It looks utterly badass, I played a lot of lemmings, but I never got around to checking the demo out.  Anything better than lemmings is gold though.

Edit:  On a whim I went and looked for the demo, 32 megs.

May 5, 2009 10:44:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I was gonna say the demo shouldn't be all that big. I don't think I would have guessed 32MB as the size, but that's gotta be doable

May 5, 2009 11:01:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting psychoak,
It looks utterly badass, I played a lot of lemmings, but I never got around to checking the demo out.  Anything better than lemmings is gold though.

Edit:  On a whim I went and looked for the demo, 32 megs.

cool. Thanks. I'll ask my bf to look into it in the morning.

May 5, 2009 11:15:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Played the demo, preferential to Lemmings myself.  It's definitely good though.

May 9, 2009 8:37:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Love WOG , the art style, music, easy to play hard to master game aspects. Its really an amazing Indie game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.