The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Crispy Gamer Interview with Mike Marr

By on May 4, 2009 3:41:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Crispy Gamer has a very in-depth interview with Gas Powered Games, Mike Marr.  He is the Lead Designer of Demigod and this interview covers most of the bases.

“You've heard a lot from Brad Wardell and Chris Taylor about Demigod. They're the outspoken and very public faces of Demigod's developer and publisher, respectively. But if you want to get down to the nitty-gritty design issues, the guy you want to talk to is lead designer Mike Marr. Which is just what I did.”

Link: Crispygamer.com

rook_with_catapultasauruses-640x

+460 Karma | 12 Replies
May 4, 2009 4:12:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That was a great read!

May 4, 2009 7:32:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome interview, until the tape ran out.

I always love the behind the scenes type interviews.

May 4, 2009 7:40:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very interesting, thanks Tyo! I like it how you guys don't hide behind empty expressions. Good questions from the interviewer too. So Uncle gets the nerf bat, or maybe not? We will see. I guess Ill go looking for a 9th set of files tomorrow. We all have seen the artwork in the beta but I have a feeling there might be more this time. Thanks for the hint.

May 4, 2009 8:00:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tape ran out...

!!!!!Im gunna kill that interviewer!

Was an aweosme interview though, really enjoyed it.

Was disheartened at the mention of replays though...it still sounds like it will be coming in a few months when they are finished doing everything else. They dont really understand how important it is

May 4, 2009 8:08:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Umm...

Chick: If Demigod had been a smaller, self-published game, what would it have looked like?

Marr: It would look a lot more like DOTA. There wouldn't be the flags, there wouldn't be the Citadel upgrades, there wouldn't be favor items. There wouldn't be single-player.

All these things (except single player) were announced when Demigod was first announceas a self-published game  .

Marr: They are guys that were in the original game that we had to pare down a while back to meet our deadline. They were designed for the initial game and then mothballed up. But they're not very far along in the process. And I can tell you that the concept for the characters is out on the Internet if you can find them.

I know what the first two new demigods will be  .

May 4, 2009 8:17:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AngryZealot,
I know what the first two new demigods will be  .

I was just about to comment, that I was surprised no enterprising individual had dug through the file structure to find them out yet. Please don't hold back, it's all in the public domain now, I'm sure you can't get in trouble for it. Absolutely pining to know!

Actually, one interesting thing that I didn't realise, is that the two new demigods are going to be VERY difficult to balance for Pantheon. As it stands, light and dark will have to receive 1 each, and that will mean an imbalance in generals/assassins available on each side. I wonder how this will play out when looking at the bigger picture of the Pantheon tournament.

May 4, 2009 11:13:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, Oculus' blueprint and stuff already exists in-game, so that is a no brainer.

Who is to say the new Dark side unit isn't also a General?

May 5, 2009 7:18:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting -Sorian-,

Who is to say the new Dark side unit isn't also a General?

Umm...maybe in the interview you didn't read?

"Chick: So is it safe to assume one is an assassin and one is a general?

Marr: Yes."

Oculus is one of them, and will be a General, i think from the Light side.

May 5, 2009 7:27:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The other one is very spiky .

May 5, 2009 11:16:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="Marr:" reply="9" id="2188546"]Marr: There were two big design pushes. The first was that when you playDemigod, you should feel overpowered. No matter what demigod you pick, you should feel that he's too powerful.[/quote]

BWAAAHAAAAAHAAAA

Anyone else pick up on that one?

May 5, 2009 11:18:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice interview.  I hope to play tower defense and capture the flag soon.

May 5, 2009 11:56:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yah layering and weaving - so nice...more of these mechanics incorporated please.

Also CTF and Horde mode

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.