The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Breakthru

Yes!

By on May 2, 2009 8:25:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, I now feel confident in publicly saying that I think that the connectivity issues some have had is going to go away next week.

Here's what we've built:

1. If you open ports 6112 to 6200 and port forward them to your IP on your router (this is for people who are familiar with this stuff) you'll get what is called direct connect.

2. If you don't do this, we will try to do a quick NAT connect. This takes longer but works for most people.

3. If NAT fails, you will be connected to our Proxy server system.  This is not going to be super desireable at first because the physical location of the Proxy server is going to make the difference between a good and a lagfest.  When the proxy server is nearby (east coast US player for instance to the east cost proxy server) it's perfectly good.  But, for instance, if you're in Japan and it uses a proxy server in Singapore, you're adding 200ms to your latency which can make the game a total lag nightmare.  so this is clearly your last result.

Now, right now, the current version of Demigod uses a connectivity server that ONLY does option 2.  That's because it was decided early on that users shouldn't have to open ports.  This, IMO, should NEVER have been the first option because when you force even technically sophisticated users into this system, you end up having a LOT of unnecessary connections to these NAT servers.

So, I feel confident that this next week is going to be the turning point for those people who have had connectivity difficulties PLUS the whole range of stat stuff, pantheon stuff, etc. will all come into line as well because, as I've said elsewhere, because the connectivity thing was our #1 priority, everyone, including the people who would resolve favor items and favor points and accurate win/loss stuff have been pulled onto this.

Heck, this past week, I had the ART team from Elemental working on doing benchmarks for speeing up NAT (That's where we finally concluded that NAT, for P2P is just feasible when there's thousands of players, it would simply require so many NAT servers, located around the world, to make it not totally awful that it wasn't financially logical - we'd be better off just hosting all the traffic which is better anyway).

We absolutely do not want to do any more "betas".  The betas don't really solve our problems. We're getting rave emails from people in support today saying how this beta "totally fixes connectivity".  NO, it doesn't. The only reason it seems that way is because there's so fewer people using the beta servers. If you check impulsereactor.dll, it's still the same one from day 0.  So the betas don't really help because it gives us the same false sense of success that the actual open beta had.

The other problem with the beta is that it splits the multiplayer community which is really a problem.  Right now, the Demigod MP community is fragmented. You've got a ton of people on Game Ranger. a Bunch of people on Himachi, others on Demigod release and some on the beta.  And you get some very poor results hwen you play Skirmish or Pantheon or just find games.

Now one of the things that I've always been painfully aware of in online games is that you need a critical mass of users to make it work.  With Demigod, we have some plans on how to make sure there's always lots of people to play with once the MP is bullet proof both in terms of connectivity and stat tracking.  As someone who has been ejected from a pantheon game during connection, I know we have to do some QUICK changes to some of this stuff in order for the MP experience to have any integrity.

First, one of the things we did is we have everyone's email address who has updated the game.  When we start the next-gen pantheon with favor points, achievements, favor items, stat tracking, disconnects dealt with and of course bullet proof MP (all of which I expect to be done this week) we will email everyone letting them know where we are at.

Second, the Stardock marketing push will actually begin.  After that day 0 debacle with the MP connectivity being so crummy, I made marketing halt all Demigod marketing efforts. Those will go into high gear probably in the third week of May.

Third, and this is where we need your help: The demo.  We will be working with GPG on the demo but I was thinking of proposing that the demo for Demigod be multiplayer ONLY.  Moreover, I would like the demo players to be able to play online with legitimate players.  Here's where we need your help: What do you think would be a good way to limit this demo then in order to get people to still buy the game?

Fourth, we plan to start formal Demigod tournmants with cash and prizes for the winners.

Fifth, Stardock is working on an update to Impulse Reactor that will allow people to have more control over the types of people people are matched up with.  Think of it being like eHarmony but for gaming. You'll be able to describe the type of gamer you are and the match making system will pick out people for you.  This feature is actually being developed for Elemental but because Demigod uses Impulse Reactor, it'll get that for free.

Sixth, Stardock moderators will soon be introduced into the online community.  This will probably happen in mid-May.  The idea is, if we have forum moderators, why not multiplayer ones? Their job will be to provide enjoyable multiplayer experiences (i.e. good sports, skilled player, etc.) PLUS they will be able to add or subtract in-game karma from players.  People who are just nasty or horrible to other players will lose karma points. People who are good sports and good citizens will get points.  Those with higher karma will tend to get matched up.  Yes, we know this is controversal.  Players will see the karma as part of their account and there will be a way for users who feel they were unfairly negated to appeal.

Seventh, all people who have bought Demigod at retail or direct up May 10th (and didn't return the game obviously) will be getting a coupon that will let them purchase a second copy of Demigod for 50% off for a limited time as a way for us to show appreciation for this community that has put their faith and trust in us.

Thanks everyone!

+897 Karma | 288 Replies
May 9, 2009 1:04:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I say go for the "free-weekend" type deal Steam has. That way, people can have the 'full-experience' for a limited period of time.

May 11, 2009 8:06:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seventh, all people who have bought Demigod at retail or direct up May 10th (and didn't return the game obviously) will be getting a coupon that will let them purchase a second copy of Demigod for 50% off for a limited time as a way for us to show appreciation for this community that has put their faith and trust in us.

Thanks everyone!

Will the coupons come out today to coincide with the new patch? It would make sense to me that the patch that fixes a lot of the main irks would be a perfect time to boost the playerbase, but a confirmation from you would be awesome Brad.

Thanks

May 11, 2009 10:02:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Christian Ons,
A multiplayer demo is very rare, actually I can't remember ever seeing one before, and there is a reason for that.

They're called "Betas" nowadays. It's just like a demo but with built in "it'll be fixed in retail for sure!".

May 11, 2009 2:01:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

how do i go about getting this 50% off coupon?

May 11, 2009 3:32:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the Demo:

• I'd say make it so they can't pick there name, each game it is random something like "Demo1234" etc. 
    • People like to have identity and having lame names always will help encourage a purchase.
  • I'm a bit worried about no single player, not everyone likes to jump into the deep end.
    • As time goes on you'll get better and better players, a demo player being forced to play a Vet will be a killing and as in all games it's less fun to loose than it is win.
  • Make is so Demo accounts are more likely to play with other demo accounts when possible.
  • Limit the number of games a demo can play per X time frame.
    • Example: 3 games per every 6 hours.
    • This would let them try check out all demigods and get a good taste for the game, but ultimatly stop them from playing just the demo, if they really like the game.

-Jara

May 11, 2009 6:43:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When are the 50% off coupons going out?  A friend wants to buy now!

May 12, 2009 9:43:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

From what I've heard it's the end of this week.

July 3, 2009 6:31:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Been with dota for 5 years, if this game is like it in any way, i would suggest giving the demo version less control, like random characters, no offical stats score etc.. like a pub game with -random for the demo users dota wise...

July 13, 2009 9:41:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A demo would be awesome, and probably the only way I would consider buying the game, the game looks really interesting.

July 14, 2009 2:49:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you want demo you can download game from torrents and play single or LAN. That would be pretty much like demo (I did the same way before bying the game).

July 14, 2009 11:56:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting aalex12,
If you want demo you can download game from torrents and play single or LAN. That would be pretty much like demo (I did the same way before bying the game).

I think that he (like me) may want a proper, official demo, not simply a pirated version of the game from some shady torrent. Frogboy: is there an ETA on a demo?

July 14, 2009 12:03:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The demo will be soon.

July 15, 2009 9:45:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

d

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.