The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Natural disasters would be cool.

By on May 1, 2009 3:05:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oattoaster

Join Date 03/2008

Hey guys, this is my first time posting anything.  I will say that I'm really enjoying this game and also that I'm a complete newbie.  I've read alot of the ideas here and alot of stuff sounds very creative and needless to say an enjoyable read.

I think that some sort of environmental hazards/natural disasters would be cool, random or not.  You know, like a lava map that spits out lava randomly inflicting damage.  An earthquake. A tornado. An ice break in an icefield randomly separtating grunts/allies/enemies alike. You could go on listing possibilites all day : )

I have more of a mmorpg background than anything and I find this game intriguing.  I'll say to, for those that know, in WAR - khaines embrace there is a reoccurring explosion.  If your caught in it everyone dies.  If you don't know I'm talkin about an instanced rvr (pvp) scenario.  My point is though, that the explosion added another layer to the strategy of that particular instance/battle.

I haven't read any posts of this sort - though a little more delving may have have led me to them. Just curious what you guys think? positive? negative? add to my short list of possibilities?

Locked Post 17 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 1, 2009 3:34:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i have played warhammer and i know what you are talking about i agree that there could be somethin like a volcano eruption or something i think it could be neat

P.S khaines embrace was one of my favorite battleground maps

May 1, 2009 4:12:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Indeed it would be nice to have maps that attack you....

May 1, 2009 4:26:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it would be cool .

lets say in Cataract* a big flow of water in some part of the map or Leviathan* an explosion of water in the middle .

but i dont agree they kill u but slow u down or deal 1/4 of ur max-base-lif/max-life(or both) so that u will have a disadvantage that will not permit the DG to win easily a match with another DG

May 1, 2009 4:45:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes no natural disasters should kill Demigods unless the Demigod has little health.  Minions/creeps are fair game (except Giants probably)

May 1, 2009 9:23:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why?  This would add a totally unnecesary random element to the game.  If you had spells that caused these natural distasters it would be one thing, but random map hazards are seriously ftl.

May 1, 2009 9:25:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's be cool if it built up in the background so you had to notice it.

Like in Cataract, the vase or whatever the water is coming out of suddenly surged and you would have to notice it.

May 1, 2009 9:31:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Doggiedoodle,
Why?  This would add a totally unnecesary random element to the game.  If you had spells that caused these natural distasters it would be one thing, but random map hazards are seriously ftl.

Random events = fun. I always like some random elements in game, there are rarely any thus far.

May 1, 2009 9:43:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long as you can notice/avoid it, it's not a problem.

May 1, 2009 11:51:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't understand why anyone would want random events that cause undeserved deaths in any game at all.  Competitive gamers would mostly leave the game, and it would probably drive away casuals who get annoyed with dying to randomness.  I seriously can't think of anything positive from elements like this, and I'm shocked that this type of stuff gets in video games as often as it does.

May 1, 2009 11:54:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
As long as you can notice/avoid it, it's not a problem.

May 2, 2009 12:15:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More stuff going on in the background =

Computers working harder, lowering sim speed, causing slow motion games.

Given the frequency of people with garbage computers in multiplayer (and it only takes 1 to slow mo the game) I don't know if this is a good idea.

May 2, 2009 12:16:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's nothing that would ever get put in, it's just fun to think about

May 2, 2009 6:17:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gabbelgak,
More stuff going on in the background =

Computers working harder, lowering sim speed, causing slow motion games.

Given the frequency of people with garbage computers in multiplayer (and it only takes 1 to slow mo the game) I don't know if this is a good idea.

It wouldn't have to be on every map.  Just a couple of select maps.  Then people who a) can't deal with it have pc's that can't deal with it,  wouldn't have to play on these maps if they don't want to.

Quoting Mortissia,

Quoting Doggiedoodle,
reply 5
Random events = fun. I always like some random elements in game, there are rarely any thus far.

, ya man I agree.  I've also found that maps like these in a lot of games are more popular.  Smart players can use these events to thier advantage. Tides turn.

May 2, 2009 9:17:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

note to self:  capital b plus ) = sunglasses smiley emote, lol

May 3, 2009 12:19:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In unreal tournament 3 there are certain control points, one for instance if you hold it for long enough damages the enemy generator.  Another builds a super massive platform of destruction.

I would make fighting for certain points on the map more dynamic.  Rather than just getting it to get it, there may be a reason to hold 3 specific points for 2 minutes.

There are many creative and obvious things they can do with flag capping to make the game deeper and more interesting than pushing forward and smashing face.

May 3, 2009 8:49:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ninjikiran,
In unreal tournament 3 there are certain control points, one for instance if you hold it for long enough damages the enemy generator.  Another builds a super massive platform of destruction. 

I would make fighting for certain points on the map more dynamic.  Rather than just getting it to get it, there may be a reason to hold 3 specific points for 2 minutes.

There are many creative and obvious things they can do with flag capping to make the game deeper and more interesting than pushing forward and smashing face.

Well this may work in UT3, but some DGs would have insane disadvantage, because some are just better at keeping flags captured. Imho bonuses from flags are fine atm, I mean the way they work.

May 4, 2009 6:46:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Mortissia,

Quoting ninjikiran, reply 15In unreal tournament 3 there are certain control points, one for instance if you hold it for long enough damages the enemy generator.  Another builds a super massive platform of destruction. 

Well this may work in UT3, but some DGs would have insane disadvantage, because some are just better at keeping flags captured. Imho bonuses from flags are fine atm, I mean the way they work.

If you have to hold more than one flag one demi god can't possibly keep all 3-2 without atleast one being taken restarting the timer.  It would take a team effort to hold all 3-2 for long enough.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000016   Page Render Time: