The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Late Thursday night status update

By on May 1, 2009 2:41:58 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We got a really good new build from GPG this evening that has a cure for those people who have experienced in-game disconnects along with some in-game exploits and a few other things (favor points, achievements, etc.).  So we spent a lot of time this evening working on that.

Meanwhile, I turned over the Proxy server setup to the enterprise team at Stardock to speed that up (for those of you not familiar with Stardock, we’re 70% an application company, 30% games with very distinct development teams).  Basically I turned over the Proxy server work to the Impulse development team since they already have built the infrastructure around Impulse.

The connection servers, which is one of the areas some people (and we have reproduced this) are having a lot of pain with is something we’re still working on (2:30am as I write this) but we’re nearing the end of productive work on this.  Basically, it’s a problem of scaling. The classic what works for 500 people falls apart when used by 5000 people at once.  But a lot of progress has been made there as well.

Anyway, we’re going to call it a night and come back tomorrow to continue on the integration.

Now, as some people have heard, we are going to release this update as a “beta”.  Impulse has an option for users to be able to try out pre-release software on it.  Warning though, if Demigod MP is already fine for you, don’t mess with this.

Here’s how you make use of this feature:

We expect to have this up tomorrow.  But I’m not making any promises as we don’t want to take a chance of putting something up that leaves people stranded (or having to re-download the whole release game again).

Update: Friday afternoon

We've finished integrating GPG's changed with the Raknet changes with the CVP changes.  But we have still not resolved the issue of why it takes so long for 2 people, after being connected, to get into the lobby when there's a heavy load as the database seems to now be able to handle it (we set up a bunch of new servers) but there is still a random several second delay between when it says someone is connected and when it actually even attempts to insert them into the game lobby.

+912 Karma | 81 Replies
May 1, 2009 1:15:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

we wont be able to play with non beta builds im sure

May 1, 2009 2:23:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please have this up in time for the weekend, so we can start testing it for you.

May 1, 2009 2:24:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If possible, I'd love to see the favor / disconnect fix pushed final and the connection servers be beta.

May 1, 2009 2:36:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please have this up in time for the weekend, so we can start testing it for you.

+1

May 1, 2009 3:06:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting iNs4n3PT,

+1

Dito... looking forward to a favor point fix!

May 1, 2009 3:09:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I checked the box in the diagram in order to make use of that feature. However, despite doing that and having clicked on "Check for updates" a million times, Impulse still nevers lists the beta update or gives me the opportunity to install it. 

What is the solution, after checking the box described in the diagram, so that the update will appear and install itself?

May 1, 2009 3:12:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting fixmyfavor,

quoting post

I checked the box in the diagram in order to make use of that feature. However, despite doing that and having clicked on "Check for updates" a million times, Impulse still nevers lists the beta update or gives me the opportunity to install it.

What is the solution, after checking the box described in the diagram, so that the update will appear and install itself?

er, I think its not up yet.

May 1, 2009 3:18:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Right... not up yet

May 1, 2009 3:18:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We're still working on it.  There will definitely be a very very long blog post about this issue when it's finally dealt with. This has definitely been the most challenging issue I've ever seen to rectify.

May 1, 2009 3:25:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
We're still working on it.  There will definitely be a very very long blog post about this issue when it's finally dealt with. This has definitely been the most challenging issue I've ever seen to rectify.

Thanks Frogboy!

May 1, 2009 3:46:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So not looking good for today release i guess?

May 1, 2009 3:52:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rocah,
Seems like it =/

May 1, 2009 3:53:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't rule it out. Some of these updates they've released pretty late into the night.

May 1, 2009 3:54:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Patience. We only really start rolling here at Stardock around 11AM, especially when we've been working on it until 3:30AM the night before.

May 1, 2009 4:17:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GreenReaper,
Patience. We only really start rolling here at Stardock around 11AM, especially when we've been working on it until 3:30AM the night before.

11 AM?  I want your job....

Can't complain much myself though.  I go to college and am taking classes I don't really need to be present for all that much.  So I guess I can say that when I finish college, I want your job.

May 1, 2009 4:35:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In Japan, developers sleep in their cubes during crunch time.

May 1, 2009 4:35:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're right, a 16.5 hour workday sounds like a dream job! 

May 1, 2009 5:12:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please let me work with you !

May 1, 2009 5:58:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In Japan, developers sleep in their cubes during crunch time.

Must be why their economy is in the tank...study after study shows that programmers aren't productive during this time.

May 1, 2009 6:04:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So I haven't been able to play a single game online since I bought it. When can we expect this updae?

May 1, 2009 7:18:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cant get into stardock irc to find out whats going on =/

May 1, 2009 9:52:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can never get into the IRC it always says excess flood but thats just while in the game.

So can we kinda hope for it tonight?

May 1, 2009 10:02:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gallifray,
I can never get into the IRC it always says excess flood but thats just while in the game.

Frog said it's being packaged and uploaded, so yeah, tonight, but that stuff takes a while. Might be another hour or two or three?

May 1, 2009 10:05:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

Quoting Gallifray,
reply 22

Frog said it's being packaged and uploaded, so yeah, tonight, but that stuff takes a while. Might be another hour or two or three?

lol I hate when I look retarded and ask something that was already answered, thank you.

May 1, 2009 10:17:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

Quoting Gallifray,
reply 22

Great!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.