The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Forum Website extremely slow

By on April 30, 2009 7:06:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Scrolling down the messages is very slow.

I don't mean it's loading slow (which it does) - it's scrolling slow even after it is completely loaded.

I tested it on a MacBook using Safari and Firefox as well as on a Windows PC using Firefox. You can test it yourself by opening a forum with several posts and then scroll down using the cursor keys. Repeat that with any other content-heavy website like http://www.gametrailers.com/

You'll notice the difference immedeatly. Using the touchpad to scroll on the mac is nothing short of agonizing since the effect becomes way more noticable.

The sole exception is Internet Explorer 8 under Windows, which is as fast as you'd expect a forum to be.

Maybe clear up the messy stylesheets, please ?

+59 Karma | 9 Replies
April 30, 2009 8:43:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Works normally for me in Firefox, so I'm not sure what the issue could be on your end.

May 1, 2009 2:41:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's the stylesheets, not the Javascript.

I blocked out the scripts which didn't make it much faster, but blocking the stylesheets made it fast ... and butt ugly.

May 4, 2009 6:26:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do you have any specific forum posts where this problem occurs?

Bara

May 9, 2009 8:47:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Posts ? No.

The whole https://forums.demigodthegame.com/ is slow.

just tried the new firefox beta with tracemonkey ... no difference.

btw. I identified the page zoom of firefox as main factor in slowing down everything. When I reset the zoom to default it seems normal. Some elements here must be pretty hard to zoom ...

May 11, 2009 10:39:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
Posts ? No.

The whole https://forums.demigodthegame.com/ is slow.

just tried the new firefox beta with tracemonkey ... no difference.

btw. I identified the page zoom of firefox as main factor in slowing down everything. When I reset the zoom to default it seems normal. Some elements here must be pretty hard to zoom ...

I wouldn't be surprised.  There's a lot going on CSS-wise in these forums.

Bara

May 12, 2009 5:49:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yep, plenty of room for optimization.

June 14, 2009 1:15:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find that the pages are quite slow to load... at least they have been lately.

June 15, 2009 12:29:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
yep, plenty of room for optimization.

Absolutely.  I'll be doing a test case of one of these forums to show how optimizing the CSS will increase speed.  It isn't high priority for the moment, but it's something I'll be looking into later.

Quoting Daikaze,
I find that the pages are quite slow to load... at least they have been lately.

Do you mean the intitial loading process or the rendering of the page?  In other words, is it loading slow with a white page or is there something on the page (likely near the top, such as the header image or welcome bar)?

Bara

June 30, 2009 12:54:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I get slow loading too, but it seems mostly at specific times -- I think usually around 12am or 1am Eastern, but it varies.  Occasional bursts of slowness at other times but they go away quicker.  Usually if I wait for the General forum to load it doesn't show the standard topic list either, just the stickies, but when loading speed is normal it shows everything.

Edit:

Pantheon Stats Page
Note: Player statistics are updated once daily at midnight EST.

Seems like that's when the forums generally crap out.  Heavy SQL querying or something?

Edit 2:

Well I guess this isn't exactly related since my issue is slow loading not scrolling...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.