The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

When pure isn’t pure

By on April 29, 2009 4:23:07 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

There is a website called Reclaim your game that purports to be an anti-DRM site.  I received an email today from a user that includes a link to an article on that site arguing that Stardock can no longer be considered DRM free because Demigod requires a user create an Impulse account (UserID and password) to logon and download updates to Demigod.

I would happily respond there but their site requires me to create a Prism forum account (UserID and password) to logon to make posts and I just can’t abide by such anti-consumer DRM…

+912 Karma | 151 Replies
April 30, 2009 6:20:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You must be doing something wrong. I bought Sins in December and activated it through Impulse once. Since then I've installed Sins on at least 3 of my laptops and computers. Have never had to 'reactivate' anything. Just installed Impulse, logged in and installed.

No, he is right. If you copy files or use Impulse anywhere, you will see than an activation is required. But that activation is transparently handled when using Impulse to download/update games.

April 30, 2009 7:28:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@ vindKtiv: That was not appropriate.  They are entitled to their opinion just as you are entitled to your's.  I believe that you could get your point across just fine in a more polite manner and be less likely to start a war.

Uh, yeah, RYG is entitled to their opinion. If you took any time to actually read and comprehend my post, you would have found that in no way did I say that they are not entitled to their opinion. However, since you are so protective of people's opinions, then please respect the fact that in my honest opinion I think that RYG is headed by morons for morons, and you are part of the bunch. My reasons for thinking that RYG is completely stupid is already included in my original post, I don't feel the need to repeat myself. Yeah, I have no doubt I can get a point across in a more polite manner. However, sometimes I feel like shouting a cursing like a pirate is the only way to get my point across to thickheaded people.

April 30, 2009 7:36:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peace Phoenix,

You must be doing something wrong. I bought Sins in December and activated it through Impulse once. Since then I've installed Sins on at least 3 of my laptops and computers. Have never had to 'reactivate' anything. Just installed Impulse, logged in and installed.
No, he is right. If you copy files or use Impulse anywhere, you will see than an activation is required. But that activation is transparently handled when using Impulse to download/update games.

So basically, it's the same as it always was, correct?

Anyways, I honestly do apologize for this entire mess. We normally really do try and corroborate and back up information whenever we change something like that, and this time we flat out didn't do a good job of it. There's really nothing else to say on that beyond we royally Fubar'd.

We are going to be making some changes to the way we 'categorize' things, though, and a lot of those changes have actually come from the comments of a number of people in this thread, so thank you for those ideas (which I will promptly steal as entirely my own ).

Again, I am sorry that we got our facts screwed up and jumped the gun.

April 30, 2009 8:00:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting vindKtiv,

Uh, yeah, RYG is entitled to their opinion. If you took any time to actually read and comprehend my post, you would have found that in no way did I say that they are not entitled to their opinion. However, since you are so protective of people's opinions, then please respect the fact that in my honest opinion I think that RYG is headed by morons for morons, and you are part of the bunch. My reasons for thinking that RYG is completely stupid is already included in my original post, I don't feel the need to repeat myself. Yeah, I have no doubt I can get a point across in a more polite manner. However, sometimes I feel like shouting a cursing like a pirate is the only way to get my point across to thickheaded people.

Alright then.  I apolgize for misreading your post.  After rereading it, I see that you merely don't have a very high opinion of them,  their opinion, their knowledge of the gaming world, or about DRM.  Is that correct?

May 1, 2009 5:54:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So basically, it's the same as it always was, correct?

Let me see:

GC2: retail version without any copy protection. Activation since update V1.1.

Sins of a Solar Empire: retail version witout any copy protection. Downloadable patch (without any activation) available until v1.05. Later patch availble only with Impulse

Demigod: retail version without any copy protection. Patch available only with Impulse, even the 0-day patch.

So it is the same as always concerning retail version: no copy protection. The patching method has changed: Impulse only. And there is DRM on the patched version: activation required when using Impulse anywhere for installing latest version on an offline computer

May 1, 2009 12:06:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only real difference is moving from SDC to Impulse

May 1, 2009 1:20:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This thread is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this forum.

These people talk about DRM like its terrorism or a plague coming to wipe us all off the face of the planet, its just a protocol for protecting games from piracy that in a few instances has been taken to an extreme that impedes on the customers enjoyment.

As for Stardock and Demigod, considering the game got the !%@$ pirated out of it and its possible to play without even entering a cd key (paid for boxed copy and downloaded via stardock) I don't think its really an issue here?

May 1, 2009 8:10:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello there, Inspector Switchblade again

This thread is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this forum.

I agree, I didn´t create it and I wish it would have never existed

.These people talk about DRM like its terrorism or a plague coming to wipe us all off the face of the planet,

Some DRMs like Securom, who use OpenSSL authentications and they are unsecure in their work, requires sometimes to disable firewall and antivirus, risking and damaging computers in some cases. Well it isn´t terrorism if we understand that term in total destruction. But it will enter the lightest definitions of terrorism such as "guerrilla".

[DRM]its just a protocol for protecting games from piracy that in a few instances has been taken to an extreme that impedes on the customers enjoyment.

Bullcrap, I don´t need to address this, I know the CEO of this company doesn´t believe in it so it isn´t necessary to show your fallacy here.

As for Stardock and Demigod, considering the game got the !%@$ pirated out of it and its possible to play without even entering a cd key (paid for boxed copy and downloaded via stardock) I don't think its really an issue here? 

True, Demigod is DRM free and we screwed up, we recognized it up. But we are pissed off too, because we agree with your first point, this is the dumbest thread ever and should have been taken privately.

We have set an account called [email protected] . That way I´m sure we can communicate better next time, Brad.

But first I want you to take a look at http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/ we have set an open letter to you elaborated by my collegue Craig Dolphin, Admin of Prism.

Lets stop this dumbness and focus in our fight about useless DRM´s

Blade

May 1, 2009 8:59:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If it was done privately, who would I laugh at?

May 5, 2009 4:05:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I suppose I am late to the party but I will put my two cents in anyway.

This is actually a fairly sad misunderstanding. As a member of neither community (though I discovered this during the process of joining the Stardock one and am probably going to join the RYG one) I think I can comment from a position of impartiality.

Point 1 - Yes, it seems RYG failed at basic rigors researching the specifics in this case. It seems as though they went to a lot of effort to find info but in its absense chose not to assume DRM free.

Point 2 - Brad's response was inflamatory and uninformed, attacking folks who it would seem see eye-to-eye with him on the issue of DRM. Knowing nothing about either community, I was able to gather that much in about 5 minutes of research.

RYG does not seem to be against the concept of DRM, they just oppose the unreasonable types of it and try to inform people on all of it, reasonable or not.

I guess my point is that this could have been handled a lot better rather than fostering ill-will on all sides where it wasn't necessary.

May 5, 2009 6:25:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wonder if they even know what DRM stands for...

I mean really.

Shucks... I'm too tired... Let me record myself laughing so I can loop it for a week.

May 6, 2009 2:39:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sblade1,
<snip>
We have set an account called [email protected] . That way I´m sure we can communicate better next time, Brad.

But first I want you to take a look at http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/ we have set an open letter to you elaborated by my collegue Craig Dolphin, Admin of Prism.

Lets stop this dumbness and focus in our fight about useless DRM´s

Blade

Not to point out the obvious, but:

The failure to communicate was entirely at the feet of RYG.  Next time, if you are unsure of anything (or, in this case, if you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about), do what 99% of people with functional brain cells will do: ask.  Sending a single PM (lol) without any follow up/alternate attempts (double lol) casts some serious doubt on the veracity of the rest of your website.  If you screw up on such an easy task, why the hell should I or any other "netizen" trust your website?

RYG owes Stardock an apology.  Personally, I would like it to be delivered South Park style.  Apologize.  That's right, kiss it.  Apologize.

May 6, 2009 10:15:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

xXAequitasXx
Sblade1reply 8<snip>We have set an account called [email protected] . That way I´m sure we can communicate better next time, Brad.But first I want you to take a look at http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/ we have set an open letter to you elaborated by my collegue Craig Dolphin, Admin of Prism.Lets stop this dumbness and focus in our fight about useless DRM´sBlade  Not to point out the obvious, but:The failure to communicate was entirely at the feet of RYG.  Next time, if you are unsure of anything (or, in this case, if you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about), do what 99% of people with functional brain cells will do: ask.  Sending a single PM (lol) without any follow up/alternate attempts (double lol) casts some serious doubt on the veracity of the rest of your website.  If you screw up on such an easy task, why the hell should I or any other "netizen" trust your website?RYG owes Stardock an apology.  Personally, I would like it to be delivered South Park style.  Apologize.  That's right, kiss it.  Apologize.

You are 12 kid.

We DID. we ASKED. We got NO REPLY, we removed them from the DRM free section.

I have to point one thing my mates didn´t do. Even knowing Demigod was totally DRM free, if I ask about GOO and Stardock´s next intentions would be to use it. I would have removed Stardocks from the list either way.

We screwed up on the communication? aside from the fanboys like you, no one stands that opinion. See Quixal point 2 for example.

However, we´ll keep the fences just with Mr. Brad, because the company is behaving with gamers.

It is Stardock a good company? Yes.

It is Stardock´s CEO´s behaviour inflamatory  an a$$holing? Yes

May 6, 2009 10:50:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sblade1 you should not insult people by guessing their age, or the same will be done to you and it will not be favorable.

May 6, 2009 1:41:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Sblade1 you should not insult people by guessing their age, or the same will be done to you and it will not be favorable.

^^ This.

May 6, 2009 2:19:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sblade1,

I have to point one thing my mates didn´t do. Even knowing Demigod was totally DRM free, if I ask about GOO and Stardock´s next intentions would be to use it. I would have removed Stardocks from the list either way.

We screwed up on the communication? aside from the fanboys like you, no one stands that opinion. See Quixal point 2 for example.

However, we´ll keep the fences just with Mr. Brad, because the company is behaving with gamers.

This is all I get out of this debacle:
You make decisions without actually trying out the game.

That speaks volumnes for the authenticity of your "research."

May 6, 2009 5:43:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sblade1,

<snip>
You are 12 kid.

So, rather than comment on the actual post, you pull one word in my post without addressing any of the rest of the post.  You then in fact fail to address the issue behind it.  You then fail at general reading comprehension, and in turn accuse me of being significantly younger than I am (not that 12 is necesarily an insult, I've seen plenty of 12 year olds articulate concepts and complaints better than you...actually, my fiancee's four year old brother has a better grasp on understanding and articulating arguments than you do).  But, again, my age has nothing to do with any of the issues in question, and I can only perceive the remark as an attempt to insult me.

Congratulations, you represent your site admirably.

And you did screw up your communication--royally in fact.  That has nothing to do with whether or not you feel like throwing a loaded terms into the mix.  If you honestly believe that a PM is a good faith attempt at communication with a CEO of a company that is in the midst of several projects, do everyone on the net a favor and remove your website.  If you can't be bothered to do even the most basic of fact checking prior to posting something that could very well be considered libel, you shouldn't be posting your "information" at all.

Additionally, this has nothing to do with being a fanboy.  It has nothing to do with your loaded terms, insults, and innuendo.  Your site was called out for its hypocrisy, and its false and (IMO) libelous statements--statements that were a direct result of your website's failure to do even the most simple fact checking.  You failed at making a good-faith attempt to contact the company in question, or even apparently to try the game yourselves, and you (personally) have failed to understand this in your rants.

While it is apparent that some staff seems to be making amends, your defense of the obviously failed research policy of RYG and your attacks upon anyone who rightly questions your (lack of) methedology brings into question the validity of your website.  After all, if you failed at such a basic fact check as this, what else is your site wrong on?

May 6, 2009 6:24:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If we assume that integrated services like Impulse and Steam are a form of DRM, and I believe they are, they are the best form of DRM.  They effectively hamper pirates (Steam: game access, Impulse: update access) and are unobtrusive for legitimate owners.  I fully support this method of DRM as apposed to cd checks or game codes which are burdensome for legitimate owners and rendered worthless by pirates.  I won't even get into the fact that i don't have to drive to Best Buy or that independant developers aren't required to find a publisher willing to buy shelf space at a big box retailer.

May 7, 2009 9:00:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sblade1,

Unfortunately that's not how contacting someone works. If you try to contact someone to get information, you do not get to make up whatever you want if they don't reply. You try atleast one other venue of communication - SOP is "if the recipient does not reply, assume he did not get the message".

PS.: Please remove "Reclaim Your Game" from the DRM-Free list - it requires authentication in order to be used.

Edit:

From the RYG site:

With regard to the necessity to setup an account on PRISM to communicate with us, we apologize that you feel so afraid to create a username and password, and provide a valid email address.

Hipocrisy thy name is RYG.

May 8, 2009 12:30:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The irony is so thick you can drown in it.

Seriously. Don't try to understand it. Just let it wash over you in beatiful waves of contempt.

May 8, 2009 5:44:06 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I guess the 12 idiocy extends like the swine flu.

DatonKallandor
 Edit:From the RYG site:With regard to the necessity to setup an account on PRISM to communicate with us, we apologize that you feel so afraid to create a username and password, and provide a valid email address.Hipocrisy thy name is RYG.

You have to register in almost every forum to post. I can set a board so guests, moron, idiots and fanboys can post but I´m not doing it. Besides, it isn´t too hard to make a fake mail and fill false data

Frogboy wrote :

I would happily respond there but their site requires me to create a Prism forum account (UserID and password) to logon to make posts and I just can’t abide by such anti-consumer DRM…

This in a idiot sentence, period. A DRM is a form of encrypted application used in games that invades the computer´s use(RING0 process, STEAM data minings, etc). This doesn´t happen when you log in into a forum.

This points are obvious, but I post here so the teenagers who doesn´t want to be muffinheads (like some posters here) learn to be adult humans.

xXAequitasXx
.  You failed at making a good-faith attempt to contact the company in question, or even apparently to try the game yourselves, and you (personally) have failed to understand this in your rants. 

xXAequitasXx let´s say I accept the PM is not enough for the recipient to the message. He failed too at making the good-faith attempt to reach us. 2 wrongs doesn´t make a right, period.

By The Way. Kath has mailed Brad´s secretary, and we are still waiting for an answer.

Now I hope your testoterone burns while you flame me, I don´t expect too much mature behaviour here. I´m used to it. I fight against Securom.

Don´t be late at college

Blade

May 8, 2009 9:36:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You have no sense of humor.  Seek help, anyone that can't grasp humor to that degree is probably suicidal over the daily drum of it all.

May 9, 2009 7:36:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sblade1,

This in a idiot sentence, period. A DRM is a form of encrypted application used in games that invades the computer´s use(RING0 process, STEAM data minings, etc). This doesn´t happen when you log in into a forum.

Blade

You participate in running an anti-DRM site and you have no idea what DRM is.

You, sir, are a fucking moron.

DRM does not have to be invasive to be classified as DRM. Your registration is in every sense of the word DRM because it limits access to your website, in order to protect the website's content. Also, in case you didn't fucking get it yet, your website registration is ALSO ENCRYPTED and while you will of course continously claim that it isn't malicious in any way, we have no fucking idea what information you are saving about the visitor or how that information is used.

You are in every way as idiotic as you think Brad's comment is. Noone on this forum should be surprised, having read your previous posts.

PS. ARE YOU 9 YEARS OLD OR WHAT?!?!?

May 9, 2009 8:15:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am a member of RYG and I am also an Impulse user and Stardock games owner. I am also surprised at the response by some of the members of this forum and the cussing in it that is allowed.

I feel that if I need to have internet to play a SP game I wont buy it. I dont even like having a disc in the drive to play a game. Stardock does not require you to register your game to play unless it has changed since Sins. You do have to register to D/L updates which I dont have a problem with as it does not put malware on my PC nor does it send info to Stardock about what I am playing how long I play it or PC spec's without my knowledge as far as I know. If Stardock ever starts to be like SecuSteam as someone on Amazon.com called it I wont be buying anything else from Stardock. Steam is no better then Starforce, SecuRom etc... IMO and SecuSteam is IMO responsible for others requiring you to register online to play SP games. 

I have seen many posts saying that Brad does not have to respond to RYG or its members. I am a consumer, player of Stardock games and I am also a member of RYG. IMO if he wants my $$ I dont see why he would not want to address this issue so that the many could see. RYG is not a small forum or site it has many people viewing it everyday and many spread the word if a game company is good or bad (has DRM or no DRM) It does not hurt to respond to questions about his protection and how it will affect the consumer. 

We at RYG are very active in promoting good companies and also try our best to let people know about bad companies aka EA, THQ Etc..

So I think answering a question is a good thing for Stardock because a boycott of Stardock would be very bad if it got as bad as it has for EA. Not that I would want this to happen as so far IMO Stardock is a good company. However, if they start forcing online activations and limited activations, malware, etc... it goes on to my boycott list.

Well have fun with this post boys and girls.

May 9, 2009 10:55:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sblade1,
I guess the 12 idiocy extends like the swine flu.

<snip>
You have to register in almost every forum to post. I can set a board so guests, moron, idiots and fanboys can post but I´m not doing it. Besides, it isn´t too hard to make a fake mail and fill false data

It only takes far less time to enter a CD-Key.  It's good to know that you have a vigorous screening proccess, that as you mentioned, is entirely worthless and ineffective.  You're only inconveniencing legitimate forum users with your draconian protection racket, you monster!

Quoting Sblade1,

This points are obvious, but I post here so the teenagers who doesn´t want to be muffinheads (like some posters here) learn to be adult humans.

You help run a DRM website, and you don't even know the definition thereof.  You then try and explain how your posts will enlighten us on becoming adult human beings.  Has your hypcorisy no bounds, sir?

Quoting Sblade1,
xXAequitasXxcomment 117.  You failed at making a good-faith attempt to contact the company in question, or even apparently to try the game yourselves, and you (personally) have failed to understand this in your rants. 
  xXAequitasXx let´s say I accept the PM is not enough for the recipient to the message. He failed too at making the good-faith attempt to reach us. 2 wrongs doesn´t make a right, period.

Well, it's great that you've finally come to realize that you never attempted a good-faith effort to get in contact with the subject of your research.  Now apologize.

Additionally, if you are conducting research on something/someone, it is NOT the subject's responsibility to contact YOU, it is YOUR responsibility to contact the party involved.  Again, if you want your website to be taken at least half-way serious, instead of a forum joke, do your work!

Quoting Sblade1,
Now I hope your testoterone burns while you flame me, I don´t expect too much mature behaviour here. I´m used to it. I fight against Securom.

Don´t be late at college

Blade

Says the man who has an unnatural fixation with 12 year olds.  Freudian slip mayhap?

Hypocrisy, thy name is Sblade1.

Quoting FlyByU,

I am a member of RYG and I am also an Impulse user and Stardock games owner. I am also surprised at the response by some of the members of this forum and the cussing in it that is allowed.

But Mom, mayhap you should keep a closer reign on certain representatives of your website.  Because, as we all know, the best way to get your point across is to attack the resident board's members.

Quoting FlyByU,
I feel that if I need to have internet to play a SP game I wont buy it. I dont even like having a disc in the drive to play a game. Stardock does not require you to register your game to play unless it has changed since Sins. You do have to register to D/L updates which I dont have a problem with as it does not put malware on my PC nor does it send info to Stardock about what I am playing how long I play it or PC spec's without my knowledge as far as I know. If Stardock ever starts to be like SecuSteam as someone on Amazon.com called it I wont be buying anything else from Stardock. Steam is no better then Starforce, SecuRom etc... IMO and SecuSteam is IMO responsible for others requiring you to register online to play SP games.

First, I'm glad (even if it's hidden away) that you acknowledge that this is YOUR opinion.  There's a huge difference between SecuROM, Starforce, Steam, Impulse/Stardock Central, CD-Key Checks, etc., etc.; the world does not exist in black and white, there are shades of gray when it comes to DRM--something even supported unofficially by your forum members/administrators (why else would you have forum registration?).

Quoting FlyByU,
I have seen many posts saying that Brad does not have to respond to RYG or its members. I am a consumer, player of Stardock games and I am also a member of RYG. IMO if he wants my $$ I dont see why he would not want to address this issue so that the many could see. RYG is not a small forum or site it has many people viewing it everyday and many spread the word if a game company is good or bad (has DRM or no DRM) It does not hurt to respond to questions about his protection and how it will affect the consumer.

The question is why, I as a consumer, would listen to anything a minor, near paranoid website run by people who apparently cant do even the most basic fact checking, would have to say on such an important matter.  The idea of black and white, good and bad, propped and promoted by your website is nothing short of doing consumers a MAJOR disservice, especially coupled with your lack of journalistic integrity (yes, we'll go there since that's where you and several of RYG's members seem to be implying their website is a part of--providing information for the masses).

Of course it doesn't hurt to respond to questions.  However, in regards to Stardock's games (internal and published), they've already provided the DRM related answers.  Couple that with not even recieving questions from RYG (again, RYG's responsibility, RYG's fault, and RYG's failure when they posted false information regardless), and the debate on whether even RYG is an appropriate venue (rather than say, their official website), and I'd say SD has already done more than enough on this front.

Quoting FlyByU,
We at RYG are very active in promoting good companies and also try our best to let people know about bad companies aka EA, THQ Etc..

So I think answering a question is a good thing for Stardock because a boycott of Stardock would be very bad if it got as bad as it has for EA. Not that I would want this to happen as so far IMO Stardock is a good company. However, if they start forcing online activations and limited activations, malware, etc... it goes on to my boycott list.

Well have fun with this post boys and girls.

The world does not exist in black and white.  There are shades of gray.  DRM is no exception to this rule.  Yet RYG still maintains its highly convoluted, and frankly, hypocritical, position that all DRM is bad.  Your statement on "good companies" and "bad companies"--a completely subjective, and frankly naieve, statement, that places RYG on forum soapbox status rather than anything even remotely approaching a useful resource for those actually interested in DRM--is just further evidence that RYG lacks any and all journalistic integrity and is nothing but a soapbox for a combination of pirates, paranoids, and certain monochromatic, journalistic-wannabes who feel that their particular viewpoint on a matter is the only valid one, and research and objectivity be damned.

And remember, when your point has been disputed, the best way to deal with it is to clap your hands around your ears, and start screaming: boycott! boycott! boycott!  Threats and innuendos are something you folks at RYG really do seem to enjoy-- first Skyblade, and now you.

EDIT: Minor cleanup.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.