The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Clan System

Re: Frogboy's Post

By on April 27, 2009 9:10:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As frogboy stated they wanted thoughts on how the clan system in demigod should work. So i think this thread would be good for the discussion of that.

Right off the bat i think custom games would be a bad place to have the competitive 'clan' community playing as settings can be altered and i guess comp stomps could occur too.

As there are 2 automated search/game entering systems (pantheon and skirmish) i think it would be best to allow clan play in one of these.  Both of these autosearch games should be independentley ranked.  Skirmish would be the best choice as it allows play of all 8 DGs which is better for team balance.

Pantheon would be restricted to random teams.  Having both of these options should keep both halves of the community on the debate of arranged teams happy.  In both pantheon and skirmish the use of AI bots should be removed as it is adverse to any competitive nature of the game.

For the actual clan system to work, the skirmish selection needs to have an arranged teams choice, there needs to be some deicision on the competitive format being used (mostly the number of plays) so that clans can work out lineups and builds.  Having no decision could also lead to the problem where 1 clan wants to play a 3v3 and the other wants to play 4v4 having no game happen.

Clans gain ranks by beating other clans (or if there are no clans online can be matched against a pug team (an arranged team of non-clan people) but gain less XP) similar to the Exp system in the pantheon.  The clan has its own XP however each member of the clan has a 'clan XP' which they contribute to the clan itself.  This way if the top 5 players in the game form a clan and achieve top postion, then leave the clan and remake a new one with the same lineup they will not be forced to stomp noobs for XP however the new clan will not be ranked #1 but ranked within reason say the clans XP can grow to be up to 1/3 of the sum of the clans members total XP.  There would be some limit on the number of people included in the clans rank (i.e. top 10 players count toward rank or such so no clans of 1000 people attain rank 1).

----

In regards to group joining, the shift+tab menu seems to be the best place to implement this.  By prefixing clan members with a tag and forcing them to the top of the list would be a convenient system.  By right clicking on clan members (or friends) you can 'add them to party/game/whatever'.   There then needs to be some mechanic of having an interim screen where players can select their DG before starting a match similar to the game lobby perhaps but the party leader has the choice of searching for custom games or starting a skirmish (where you are not shown the oppositions DG choices).

My $0.02

+8 Karma | 5 Replies
April 27, 2009 9:25:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think GPG already nailed it with GPGNet - their clan and friend interface is outstanding. A similar system for Impulse would be really nice.

April 27, 2009 9:40:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sounds good on paper but implementing something like that....well i wont hold my breath

April 28, 2009 12:56:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i dont know how GPG uses clans,but i do know about the clan system in WC3, which i really dislike.

i hate the idea of having "shamans" or "chieftains" as i find that this promotes superiority, when this is infact a "team" game, kicking a player from the clan should be agreed upon by a large % of the people in the clan, as with joining a player to the clan.

i also wonder about clan matches when demigod has alot of heros, will their be a banning and picking system like in dota?

or will you still just pick your hero in the game lobby and continuously change hero to counter others until the host decides to click the start button?

April 28, 2009 1:26:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting _Shadow,
I think GPG already nailed it with GPGNet - their clan and friend interface is outstanding. A similar system for Impulse would be really nice.
QFT

I just hope the 2v2/3v3 and so on will be more active. waiting 30 minutes for a game there is teh lamez.

April 28, 2009 4:17:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting tombonator1,
sounds good on paper but implementing something like that....well i wont hold my breath

I havn't finished my software degree yet but i think i could just about figure out how to do it.

Quoting Teseer,

Quoting _Shadow, reply 1I think GPG already nailed it with GPGNet - their clan and friend interface is outstanding. A similar system for Impulse would be really nice.
QFT
I just hope the 2v2/3v3 and so on will be more active. waiting 30 minutes for a game there is teh lamez.

Community needs to find a competitive format to be used primarily to reduce game search times and allow clans/teams to build strategies.  This will problem happen on its own once clan support is available however.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000140   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.