The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

is UDP or TCP used for establishing connections between players, checking connection status, etc?

By on April 27, 2009 8:26:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

most games use UDP for their core game play, which is understandable because it's much faster, if not reliable. However, it seems like TCP is needed to establish connections and make sure everyone shakes each other's hands correctly. If UDP is used for this... well, I could see why there is such a high failure rate even with good settings.

+15 Karma | 4 Replies
April 27, 2009 11:24:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, Demigod does indeed use UDP. Understandable, and with some more netcode tweaking everything will be just fine. Although honestly, thus far I have not had any problems worth mentioning, I get in and out of games just fine.

April 28, 2009 2:14:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to agree.  UDP packets are  not guaranteed to arrive in order or even at all.  UDP messages fail in exactly the overloaded environment we're dealing with here. I think it's clear that the issue at hand is not raw throughput (UDP's forte) but rather reliability (TCP's forte). 

I think UDP makes sense for broadcasting time-sensitive game data, but its a mistake to use it for critical tasks like establishing the initial game connections.

Just my 2 cents.

April 28, 2009 6:39:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds like this is one of the things the team is looking at, which is great news! The UDP issues can be theoretically handled by the application, but it just makes more sense to use TCP for establishing connections and updating game data (who's in the game, who you need to connect to, etc.).

April 28, 2009 6:46:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think UDP makes sense for broadcasting time-sensitive game data, but its a mistake to use it for critical tasks like establishing the connections

agree.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.