The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The ONLY thing MISSING that ANNOYS the crap out of me

By on April 26, 2009 2:19:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Voicechat.

Seriously Stardock, this is a feature that will enchance this multiplayer-oriented game 10fold.

Welcome to videogaming after the year 2000.  ALL FPSs have it, all co-op Action/RPG games have it.  Recent RTSs have voice chat (Red Alert 3, anyone?).  Hell, even puzzle games have it!

Put it in, damnit!!

+25 Karma | 59 Replies
April 26, 2009 2:21:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So I can listen to 13 year olds rage when I snipe them from across the map? No thanks. I'll stick to vent.

April 26, 2009 2:24:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have yet to play a PC game where the built in voice chat added anything other then retarded bi*** fests. Basically, learn how to type. With all the connectivity and lag issues everyone is complaining about do we really want to add more to the transfer?

April 26, 2009 2:25:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is a planned feature for Impulse in the near future.

April 26, 2009 2:28:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pwnophobia,
So I can listen to 13 year olds rage when I snipe them from across the map? No thanks. I'll stick to vent.

rofl or so that we could listen to a german kid talking while he naturaly assume we all undarstand german...
and how come 70% of the european population dont know english?... ignorant bustards ^^

April 26, 2009 2:29:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Dude, 13 year olds are only on Xbox 360.

13 year olds aren't on PC. Wtf, lol.

April 26, 2009 2:54:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pwnophobia,

it would be team orientated as all other games

April 26, 2009 3:11:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Im going to have to call BULLSHIT on this.

Link proof, please.

April 26, 2009 3:12:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I second this. Demigod should be marketed like a TF2 multiplayer game. If you stop that silly "RTS with RPG elements" nonsense, reviewers would stop knocking the lack of single player campaign.  GPG did a good job making each class unique and it has almost all the classes necessary. NEEDS A SPY AND ENGINEER CLASS. Look, as long as you have mute/votekick feature and it is team only chat, there is no problem with VOIP.

April 26, 2009 3:15:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hit post twice - delete this please

April 26, 2009 7:44:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey, so anyone got any word on the Voicechat or no?

SAUCE ON PROOF PLZ

April 26, 2009 9:16:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

n/m

April 26, 2009 11:09:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NEEDS A SPY AND ENGINEER CLASS.

I lol'd, thanks for the joke.

April 27, 2009 11:37:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mriguy,
I second this. Demigod should be marketed like a TF2 multiplayer game. If you stop that silly "RTS with RPG elements" nonsense, reviewers would stop knocking the lack of single player campaign.  GPG did a good job making each class unique and it has almost all the classes necessary. NEEDS A SPY AND ENGINEER CLASS. Look, as long as you have mute/votekick feature and it is team only chat, there is no problem with VOIP.

I personally think it should be marketed as a Unreal Tournament-type game.  There is a single player, but it isn't the primary focus of the game. The multiplayer is where it's at, it can be competitive, and it can be hectic.

Bara

April 27, 2009 11:53:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Voice chat is not necessary. Improvements to the current text system however are needed such as making the text more visible on the screen and an audio queue to make you aware there is a new message as they can often be missed if youre not paying attention to that side of the screen.

April 27, 2009 3:23:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annekynn,
Voice chat is not necessary. Improvements to the current text system however are needed such as making the text more visible on the screen and an audio queue to make you aware there is a new message as they can often be missed if youre not paying attention to that side of the screen.

Counterproposal- Voicechat.

Fact: Mics are VERY inexpensive

Fact: Players who don't have mics don't compete past a certain "glass ceiling" in Multiplayer games.

Fact: This game needs Voicechat.

April 27, 2009 4:02:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fact: They are going to add Voicechat

Fact: Skype, Teamspeak and Vent all exist.

April 27, 2009 8:29:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

vent is teh pew pew pew

April 27, 2009 8:48:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Okay... voice chat in games is probably the STUPIDEST ideas ever. CnC3, C-S, UT3 and a bunch of other games really exemplify this. Why?

First of all, do you know what the point of voice chat is? To help your teamates better communicate with you? Hell no. Sure it is annoying to type, but it is also annoying to be forced to press and hold a button to speak. Also, games are pretty much the main reason why people can't spell today. Who the hell says "Watch out, they are in the woods coming to gank you" when you can type "care bot" and get out the same meaning? I can easily type "b" faster than I can hold K and say "They are going to bombsite B," in C-S. Maybe I can shave off a couple of seconds if I bound the button to my middle mouse button, but I find typing "b" much more convenient. So what the hell is voice chat for? So 12 year olds can swear at you in all their high-pitched glory. Seriously, no joke. Have you ever even played a game where voice chat is used effectively when it is provided? I never have, and usually mute people if I can. I don't need to ever use the function, which brings me to my second point.

Why the hell do you need voice chat when you have Ventrilo and Team-Speak? Not because you are too poor, for it isn't hard to invade someone else's vent and bring your friends along for some late night action (>.>). Hell, there are public channels for your convenience. Sure you have to deal with a couple of idiots who need a hobby here or there, but it sure as hell beats the in game function, where kids learn how to swear and call you a n00b before they learn their alphabet, or how to play the game for that matter. I don't even need to reach down and hold a button to speak, I just talk. I have never played a game where convenience like that has been offered to me. Sure I can't talk to my teammates in a Pub, but I'm getting to that on my third point.

No on in pubs want to hear you speak. It's as annoying as hell when some smartass cranks up his microphone and starts shouting into it like he is playing in the WCGs or something. I have a hard time deciding which is more annoying, the smartass or the 10 year old. It's a goddamn pub for God's sake. No one gives a crap that you need help. Helping you won't increase their k/dr and they won't care beyond that. Yes, winning in a public game might give you whatever incentive you get that makes you go crazy on your teammates, but this is only their 3rd time playing and they don't know what the hell you are saying when you tell them that they should run. "Run? Whuzzat? Why is there words coming on my screen? I thought I was playing single player."

Bottom line is, in game voice chat is a gimmick, and completely unnecessary. I rather SD and GPG waste their time on something else than voice chat in game.

April 27, 2009 11:31:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting vindKtiv,
Okay... voice chat in games is probably the STUPIDEST ideas ever. CnC3, C-S, UT3 and a bunch of other games really exemplify this. Why?

First of all, do you know what the point of voice chat is? To help your teamates better communicate with you? Hell no. Sure it is annoying to type, but it is also annoying to be forced to press and hold a button to speak. Also, games are pretty much the main reason why people can't spell today. Who the hell says "Watch out, they are in the woods coming to gank you" when you can type "care bot" and get out the same meaning? I can easily type "b" faster than I can hold K and say "They are going to bombsite B," in C-S. Maybe I can shave off a couple of seconds if I bound the button to my middle mouse button, but I find typing "b" much more convenient. So what the hell is voice chat for? So 12 year olds can swear at you in all their high-pitched glory. Seriously, no joke. Have you ever even played a game where voice chat is used effectively when it is provided? I never have, and usually mute people if I can. I don't need to ever use the function, which brings me to my second point.

Why the hell do you need voice chat when you have Ventrilo and Team-Speak? Not because you are too poor, for it isn't hard to invade someone else's vent and bring your friends along for some late night action (>.>). Hell, there are public channels for your convenience. Sure you have to deal with a couple of idiots who need a hobby here or there, but it sure as hell beats the in game function, where kids learn how to swear and call you a n00b before they learn their alphabet, or how to play the game for that matter. I don't even need to reach down and hold a button to speak, I just talk. I have never played a game where convenience like that has been offered to me. Sure I can't talk to my teammates in a Pub, but I'm getting to that on my third point.

No on in pubs want to hear you speak. It's as annoying as hell when some smartass cranks up his microphone and starts shouting into it like he is playing in the WCGs or something. I have a hard time deciding which is more annoying, the smartass or the 10 year old. It's a goddamn pub for God's sake. No one gives a crap that you need help. Helping you won't increase their k/dr and they won't care beyond that. Yes, winning in a public game might give you whatever incentive you get that makes you go crazy on your teammates, but this is only their 3rd time playing and they don't know what the hell you are saying when you tell them that they should run. "Run? Whuzzat? Why is there words coming on my screen? I thought I was playing single player."

Bottom line is, in game voice chat is a gimmick, and completely unnecessary. I rather SD and GPG waste their time on something else than voice chat in game.

The point of voicechat is to have people listen.

While it is true that you can type B faster than holding down a button and saying Bombsite B (Why not just saying "B" instead? i digress), the team might not pay attention to a small text that appears on the left when things heat up!  It's a fact, more people listen to a voice than listen to a text.

Also, play style.  In this game, you have to take your hand off your mouse, type enter (shift+enter for smack talk) and then your message, and then reposition your hand.  Essentially, to put a Wrestling spin on this, you are going from a good athletic stance for a base and then standing straight up.  Why leave yourself so exposed?

Voicechat is one button that gives you access to an infinite number of messages, and you can put it around your 1-4 ASWD key for easier access.

You might say "Well, rebind your chat key to something that is near 1-4/ASWD then!" and you would be sorely mistaken.  I am still taking my right hand off my mouse to type in a message- rendering what key i must press to gimp myself irrelevant.

ITT: VOICECHAT NOA!

April 27, 2009 11:34:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DalzK,
Fact: They are going to add Voicechat

Fact: Skype, Teamspeak and Vent all exist.

Sauce on Fact 1 please.

Oh, and Fact 2 is irrelevant.

So, what you are saying is you want to give out your vent info EVERY GAME?  To have that period of time where people must Alt+Tab, get into vent, type in the info, and join the right channel?  To have the one guy who doesn't know how to work vent (we've all met this guy) and riddle the game experience into total frustration?

Sure, if this game supported a guild/clan setup then i could see how this arguement would be valid-- but there are no tools like this, and your point is moot.

April 27, 2009 11:45:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thing about stardock is they are totally all ears when updates become on the menu.

This will prob be a typical weekend in the near future:

Stardock: So, what do you guys wanna add next to your game

Random poster: VoIP Please

Random Poster: BALENCE CHANGES! BEFORE VoIP

Random poster: STFU nub it is balenced.

Stardock: Ok so VoIP

*few days later*

Stardock: Added....Next?

April 28, 2009 2:33:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Voice chat talked about in this link: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/345381

April 28, 2009 3:11:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Voice chat is should not be a priority.  Too many things to consider.  Plus, Ventrilo (and Teamspeak) are better than 90% of in-game VoiP's.

April 28, 2009 3:18:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't believe people are arguin AGAINST voice chat, you don't need to use it, you can mute players, and honestly holding down 1 key to talk is a lot easier than typing.

It isnt really a priority, but it isn't a bade idea either.

April 28, 2009 3:19:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would love in game voice chat, and I think it would make this game a better multiplayer experience.  Agree with all that spoke about mic abuse, but I think benefits are greater than the possible abuse of the system.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.