The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

DemiChess

By on April 25, 2009 3:03:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alrighty, just follow me on this crazy idea of mine. It will take a map and mod to make it without it being ugly.

The idea is to have a map of a chess board that contains all of the normal features of a map except for the flags. In addition to this, all players will see a chessboard on their UI that they can minimize. The first player on each team has direct control over their UI chessboard, and on their turn they can play their move. Every player can see the game progress and give advice to the first player. With more coding I am sure that the player of the chess game could pass off control to another on their team. And so, with a time limit of say... 60 seconds or some choosable amount, the teams' chess players will play against each other. If one gets a checkmate, that whole team wins.

Now, while this is going on, demigods are still fighting on the chessboard, trying to take out the enemy citadel. With the destruction of the citadel, this is also a win for a team, so taking the citadel or the king is how you win. Now, the locations of your pieces on the 2D overlay chess board will have a direct effect on the 3D map, though I am not 100% on how this will work yet. Perhaps knights will have an invulnerable trebuchet at its location, bishops heal units for XHP per seconds or something. That is all up in the air, but the main goal is to be able to make players of chess a little more reckless, since advancing will give them a better chance on the 3D board, but less of a one on the 2D board.

Well, I hope that some of that made sense. This is my plan for my first map, so I just need to wait until modding is supported before I make this >.>

+45 Karma | 26 Replies
May 20, 2009 6:20:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank ya! I spent around 8 hours on Monday (yay, holiday!) totally reprogramming the thing so that I can actually detect how many optional moves a player has left. This is the small bit that made me not able to get checkmating implemented >.> I think that I am pretty close, so I hope to finish the functionality of the UI next weekend. After that comes making ideas for what the pieces do on the 3D map

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.