The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Where we’re at as we enter the weekend

By on April 25, 2009 2:23:28 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The big update we were working on to get up this week went down to the wire which was a new NAT facilitator that made joining games extremely fast and extremely robust. 

Since we’re doing some of this on the fly, we obviously didn’t get to stress test scale.  And so what works great for say 50 people testing things out fell apart when a few thousand people jumped on. 

We had considered that possibility so we had an alternative, more conservative build already wound up and flipped the switch on that.  But the result is that the progress for those having connectivity issues in MP was not as far as we had hoped.

Gas Powered Games and Stardock are taking the weekend off to try to recharge a little bit. There is high confidence on both teams that those people having problems connecting will see their problems resolved shortly. 

Like those of you running into those kinds of issues, I get frustrated at this kind of thing. Tonight was particularly tough since it was working so well.

We appreciate your patience and on behalf of everyone at Stardock and GPG, have a good weekend and you have our dedication.

Hopefully next week we can start talking about additional Demigods.

In the meantime, I hate to have to recommend a third party program but Game Ranger does work pretty well as long as you’re playing other people with the legitimate version: www.gameranger.com.

+912 Karma | 85 Replies
April 25, 2009 11:52:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

multiplayer first. demigods next. sounds good.  thanks GPG and Stardock.

April 25, 2009 1:05:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the new patches broke my game , i never had a problem getting disconnected  now after about 30 or 40 minutes of play the game will lagg and about a second or two later "a player has left the game" and everyone is replaced by an AI, this NEVER used to happen before the patches

April 25, 2009 1:11:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

continue your work. You can rest when gamebreaking issues are fixed.

April 25, 2009 1:16:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MrPipe,

All work and no play makes coders tired and make mistakes, causing them to miss problems, add new ones, and all in all make things take even longer.

April 25, 2009 1:29:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Anyway guys, seriuosly, I'm going home now.  I'm not going to be online this weekend. 

While he's away:

FREE THE BEES !

April 25, 2009 1:31:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every update somehow manages to further break an already broken system. It would be rather amazing if it did not suck such massive amounts of anus.

April 25, 2009 1:45:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MrPipe,

not trying to quote someone but you sir, are an *****.

April 25, 2009 1:45:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

YAY for breaks, rest easy! I'm not gonna lie though, cylons wouldn't take breaks... teehee

April 25, 2009 2:10:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

not trying to quote someone but you sir, are an *****.

Why?  Because he is saying to them that they should do that?  Nothing wrong with that.  Welcome to the life of a programmer.

WTF ADDITIONAL DEMIGODS? ARE YOU KIDDING? FIRST FIX ALL THE BUGS!

And I'm writing in Caps, because the devs will ignore my post (thank you very much for that).

MAKE FAVOR WORK!

MAKE ORDERS WORK FROM THE FIRST TIME!

Pretty sure they have different people working on different things.

Idiot.

April 25, 2009 3:19:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Darkfall was looking like a nice game. It's too bad aventurine is not nearly as transparent as stardock/GPG have been. A well earned $40 indeed.

Keep up the good work.

April 25, 2009 3:48:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another great way to increase your chance of joining a game by 40% is to forward ports 6073 TCP and UDP and ports 6100-6200 UDP on your router/firewall. You need to activate the manual ports by running ImpluseReactorOptions.exe in your DemigodInstallFolder\bin.

This really has helped me out quite a bit and with the few improvements in the last patch I would say my connection chance has been increased by 60%!

April 25, 2009 4:50:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Where we're at?  [e digicons]8(|[/e]   How dare you let game development destroy your grammar!

Have a good weekend anyway .  You guys deserve it.

April 25, 2009 4:54:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hopefully next week we can start talking about additional Demigods.

IMO there is no need to even bother talking about additional Demigods when a core mechanic of the main game, favor points and items, is still horrendously broken.  That needs to be fixed before the game will be playable as is.  Adding new Demigods wouldn't make it playable if favor remains broken.

It seems from what is written in the status updates most of the effort for fixing Demigod is going into improving connection issues, whilst neglecting to fix the even more important favor point issues.

It would be great if favor points could be fixed, even if it means focusing on that exclusively until it is fixed.

April 25, 2009 5:19:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A lot of publishing companies could take lessons from Stardock.

Demigod has a fair number of bugs, yet I am 100% content with its prospects.

April 25, 2009 5:22:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fixmyfavor, while that would be nice, I think connectivity is more important, since I can't even get to the favor point problem currently since I can't play on Skirmish, Custom Games, or Pantheon.  After that I think favor points and such being updated properly should be the next big goal.

Because really, what would you rather have a game developer fix?  Being able to play online, or for something related to online games to work as intended?

April 25, 2009 6:04:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow dude, you got a profile named  fixmyfavor...that's pathetic....that is really pathetic....

April 25, 2009 6:04:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i cant even connect to any games since last update.... thinking about getting my money back and play this game by hamachi...

April 25, 2009 6:22:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frog, you should ask them to focus first on the targettign bug, and other gameplay issues

also, you shoudl specify somethign abotu game ranger

its may connect easy to lan games, but in game, lan game arent meatn to run at 100 + ping

so weird lag and stuff is to be expected

April 25, 2009 6:32:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

when a core mechanic of the main game, favor points and items, is still horrendously broken.

Since when is favor points a core mechanic of the game?

Yes, they are handy. Do you absolutely need them to play? thats a big NO!

besides, since everyone has them reset now, no one can really complain about unbalance issues

April 25, 2009 6:35:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i cant even connect to any games since last update.... thinking about getting my money back and play this game by hamachi...

I just hope any and all future updates have a 0% chance of getting released to pirated copies - like new demigods and such...

April 25, 2009 6:37:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can't connect so you are going to get a refund and pirate it instead?  That is just dumb.

April 25, 2009 6:41:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gnats3,
Where we're at?  [e digicons]8(|[/e]   How dare you let game development destroy your grammar!

Quite honestly (and i dont mean this rudely), no i dont think they deserve it. What they have earned is patience on the part of the community because of the phenomenal support games like GalCiv2 and Sins got. This release is uncatagorically not a success and releasing a borked first (and second) patch is really REALLY bad press.

April 25, 2009 6:42:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As a new Stardock customer I am just amazed at how much they are supporting their game.

I don't mean to be critical of Gas Powered Games but where are they? This is their game. If I had a problem with Company of Heroes I'd expect to hear from Relic, not have the CEO of THQ having to do all this.

Good for you Stardock but I would like to hear more from Gas Powered Games.

April 25, 2009 6:42:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zolimox,

Quoting Gnats3,
reply 12

Quite honestly (and i dont mean this rudely), no i dont think they deserve it. What they have earned is patience on the part of the community because of the phenomenal support games like GalCiv2 and Sins got. This release is uncatagorically not a success and releasing a borked first (and second) patch is really REALLY bad press.

So what magic wand do you expect the PUBLISHER of the game to wave?

April 25, 2009 6:47:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ThePanic71,

Quoting Zolimox, reply 22

Quoting Gnats3,
reply 12

So what magic wand do you expect the PUBLISHER of the game to wave?

The "release a game that works" wand. Or perhaps the "when releasing a patch dont break the game" wand? Look, im entitled to an opinion and my opinion is stardock, as the publisher, should not have released the game that doesnt work.

Sorry, maybe i live on a planet where if you pay money for something you expect to get what you paid for? I didnt want to be a beta tester.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001485   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.