The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Where we’re at as we enter the weekend

By on April 25, 2009 2:23:28 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

The big update we were working on to get up this week went down to the wire which was a new NAT facilitator that made joining games extremely fast and extremely robust. 

Since we’re doing some of this on the fly, we obviously didn’t get to stress test scale.  And so what works great for say 50 people testing things out fell apart when a few thousand people jumped on. 

We had considered that possibility so we had an alternative, more conservative build already wound up and flipped the switch on that.  But the result is that the progress for those having connectivity issues in MP was not as far as we had hoped.

Gas Powered Games and Stardock are taking the weekend off to try to recharge a little bit. There is high confidence on both teams that those people having problems connecting will see their problems resolved shortly. 

Like those of you running into those kinds of issues, I get frustrated at this kind of thing. Tonight was particularly tough since it was working so well.

We appreciate your patience and on behalf of everyone at Stardock and GPG, have a good weekend and you have our dedication.

Hopefully next week we can start talking about additional Demigods.

In the meantime, I hate to have to recommend a third party program but Game Ranger does work pretty well as long as you’re playing other people with the legitimate version: www.gameranger.com.

Locked Post 85 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 25, 2009 2:39:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks guys for all your hard work, I am in a similar line of work and deal with launch schedules like you do. I sympathize entirely with what you are going through. Sometimes even something very rigorously tested can have an issue or two, its really not until it gets into the hands of the masses before you see it. Again, thank you and my friends and I absolutely love the game!

April 25, 2009 2:43:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While the update didn't work as well as you had hoped for MP, I noticed it did fix several issues that had been brought up on the forums (including the in-game name updating when you change your Impulse name, which now works!). 

Thanks so much for your dedication during the first week of the game's release.  It's great to see a company so dedicated to their product and their fans.  Now take the weekend off and...go collect some bee honey...or something

April 25, 2009 2:49:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work

April 25, 2009 2:49:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gotta say, The fact you guys are working like horses to get this working is refreshing to say the least. Until then GameRanger works quite well as long as your using the (updated to current which i belive is .93) virsion. Cant wait to hear a little about the new demigods! in as far as the pirated game issues go, such is life, I belive the pirate numbers will die off in time, and those who actually see the Alexandrite that this game is will stick with it.

Get some rest Stardock and GPG guys, you deserve it.

Signed,

One happy coustomer.

April 25, 2009 2:57:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Before you start thinking about new demigods, how about a better friends interface (so you can invite friends directly into a game), a clan system and getting replays to work (followed by live replays)? Those things would add tremendous value to the game.

BTW, your support and willingness to communicate has been outstanding. 180 degrees from what I expected given GPG's track record with FA.

April 25, 2009 3:10:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting _Shadow,
Before you start thinking about new demigods, how about a better friends interface (so you can invite friends directly into a game), a clan system and getting replays to work (followed by live replays)? Those things would add tremendous value to the game.

BTW, your support and willingness to communicate has been outstanding. 180 degrees from what I expected given GPG's track record with FA.

I agree. 

Stardock can work on that part while GPG can focus on new demigods.

April 25, 2009 3:10:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyway guys, seriuosly, I'm going home now.  I'm not going to be online this weekend. 

April 25, 2009 3:46:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

relax

April 25, 2009 3:54:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Anyway guys, seriuosly, I'm going home now.  I'm not going to be online this weekend. 

And don't dare to work at home, same goes for your employees!

April 25, 2009 4:49:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quick, let's sneak in his office and urinate on his desk!

April 25, 2009 5:02:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great news, as always your team works hard on the games Frogboy, why I admire and love all of you guys there so much. I'm not into MP games yet, but good to know you are gearing it up for more players then I read.

April 25, 2009 5:21:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quick, let's sneak in his office and urinate on his desk!

You do that, i'll take the gun Pc he not long had built. I7 and 12GB of ram..thankyou very much!

April 25, 2009 5:21:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, I had the NAT issue a week back, but yesterday I could play 3 multiplayer skirmishes. Lost all of 'em though.

April 25, 2009 6:03:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys deserve a break . The last patch fixed up the multiplayer nicely, no one is on gameranger anymore becaues the demigod online is working so much better. I also agree that more demigods should be on the back burner until the online is a bit more polished, but whatever. Now hurry up and fix favor, im going crazy!

April 25, 2009 6:15:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

New Demigods  

April 25, 2009 7:41:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol Frogboy loves us, he can't stay away

April 25, 2009 8:08:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WTF ADDITIONAL DEMIGODS? ARE YOU KIDDING? FIRST FIX ALL THE BUGS!

And I'm writing in Caps, because the devs will ignore my post (thank you very much for that).

MAKE FAVOR WORK!

MAKE ORDERS WORK FROM THE FIRST TIME!

Thank you for reading this comment...

April 25, 2009 9:16:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, fix the game bugs too, not just the network stuff..

April 25, 2009 9:35:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They know it guys, and i'm sure they know that priorities are network and game bugs, not adding new demigods, come on!

(I hope so )

April 25, 2009 9:42:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Enjoy your weekend!

I know I will with a big feast of spargel on sunday

April 25, 2009 9:51:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Quilbo,
They know it guys, and i'm sure they know that priorities are network and game bugs, not adding new demigods, come on!

(I hope so )

I agree.

Also, Frogboy did mention in the long status video that because Demigod used ImpulseReactor for online multiplayer, they could make updates to multiplayer without having actually updating Demigod.  I think it was said they could implement friend/clan team games without having GPG do anything.

Quoting Awbee,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 7Anyway guys, seriuosly, I'm going home now.  I'm not going to be online this weekend. 

And don't dare to work at home, same goes for your employees!

Considering that Frogboy has given help to people on the forums on the evening of December 24th and he outright admitted he worked on an update for GCII when he was supposed to be with his family . . .  I think he may need to be tranqualized for the weekend.

April 25, 2009 10:24:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, sure new Demigods would be awesome, but the bugs really are downers...so fix the apparent and hated bugs first then go to the Demigods But thanks for the update! And enjoy this beautiful weekend(at least it's beautiful where I am in PA)

-Phal

April 25, 2009 10:36:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GameRanger works for me, but it's really hard to find other players with an updated game version.  Seems overrun by pirated v.0091 matches.

April 25, 2009 11:04:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is great.  I appreciate that you guys are working so hard and doing a great job of keeping us informed.

But can we PLEASE talk about bugfixes, adding certain things to the UI, and other standard features that seem missing (replays/teamjoin) before talkinga bout new Demigods. 

Just want to throw that out there.  I'm really not excited about new content, unless these things get taken care of first.

April 25, 2009 11:20:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

QQ about 'bugs first' guys!

A)

Hopefully next week we can start talking about additional Demigods.

Emphasis mine.  If you read it, it's clearly him hoping that next week they have the major bugs wrapped up so they can start really looking at new content, rather than merely putting out fires.

The heavy code work required to hunt down and fix bugs probably isn't too closely related to the art work and concept work required to add a new Demi.  The code involved in adding data is minimilist compared to hunting down bugs, and is probably squarely in the 'job' bracket of a different subset of the team.  (Or, at the very least, can be laid out by someone other than the network and engine coders).  Even if new abilities require engine level coding, that can be put off while still laying out what's going to be needed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.