The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[BUG] Targeting abilities

By on April 24, 2009 3:29:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

aside from the multiplayer issues,  i think the most gamebreaking issue players face is the targeting bug.  a lot of us have encountered it, and i'm sure it's been talked about a lot.  i fix it by quickly right clicking ground and then hitting the ability again, so if anyone has a quicker method please inform.

as far as i can tell, the bug is random and occurs when a player hits a hotkey to active an ability, left clicks his/her target, and the ability does not trigger.  instead, the player's DG will likely stand doing nothing, even upon repeated activations of the ability.  the only way to fix the problem is to make the DG perform another action, such as moving, and then retry activating the ability.  if i knew how to reproduce the bug exactly, like maybe it occurs when you're sending too many commands or changing destinations a lot prior to hitting the ability.

this has occured to me with just about every DG.  i've seen some older threads, even some more recent beta threads (march), talking about this issue but trying to isolate it to specific DGs.  i'm pretty sure it's just a global bug.  some examples: i missed a kill with pounce on a UB because my DG did not perform her ability when I hit the hotkey and left clicked UB (she just stood there, didn't even keep chasing him).  i've had people die/almost while i tried to get my heal or bramble shield to unbug (the most frustrating thing i've experienced in-game).  i've had people slip out of range while fireball wouldn't cast.  i could go on, and hell, i think this bug might even occur when targeting DGs to simply auto attack.

imo, this bug needs to go immediately.  it really makes the game feel unpolished whenever it occurs, which isn't rare, at least in my case.  the only thing that might contend with this bug is the pathing issues that DGs clearly experience when traveling to destinations and targets (easier to reproduce than the targeting bug).

+4 Karma | 23 Replies
April 24, 2009 3:53:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it's a problem that occurs specifically with melee or self-targeting abilities. I've only noticed it with Foul Grasp, Pounce and Bite so far, abilities that make you choose a specific target that's neat your Demigod. I've heard that Bramble shield and Sedna's heal are also plauged by the bug though. Really wish it was done away with, since the one second that it took to realize you had the bug, right-click and re-activate the ability is often just enough time to get you killed or let the enemy escape. I just hope it's addressed soon. I have a feeling that it's related to the positioning of your demigod, but that's really just a guess.

April 24, 2009 4:03:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've gotten this also on almost any demigod I've played. Ready to ground slam with the Rook and he just sits there and I can't even move him while the oppenent demigod runs away.

April 24, 2009 4:16:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've had this problem...but as Sedna with heal, and dg's end up dead, sad day.

April 24, 2009 4:20:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i think this problem arises when ur not facing the enemy/allied demigod while trying to cast heal/fireball etc., so click the ground towards him and cast straight away is my only solution

April 24, 2009 4:22:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd love to hear GPG/Stardock comment on this issue. Have I missed them mentioning it?

April 24, 2009 8:08:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this bug have been present , and reported since since beta 1

April 24, 2009 8:44:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Ultime,

This is true, another amazing remindeder of how this game is still in Beta.

April 24, 2009 11:37:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ultime,

amazing.  this is exactly the kind of bug that burns me out on a game.

April 24, 2009 1:40:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have seen it also with target self and target other. I also seen some pathing issues in every game. They maybe all related to pathing, but I didn't beta test so my knowledge is behind the curve on this. Just something to look at.

April 25, 2009 12:29:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

dev? frog?

why this bug still up?

plz can you tell us anything, at least that gpg is workign on it?

April 25, 2009 12:42:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sedna's Heal, Erebus Bite, UB Spit, and Parasite Egg are the ones that happen all the time to me.

April 25, 2009 8:05:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wtf when a DEV will reply here?

fuckign tired of a noob game in open beta

GPG failure

there have been no comment abotu this by dev during the whole useless beta phase

and now still none,

WAKE UP

this game s now as bad as Age of connan and funcom

April 25, 2009 8:22:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do people even read their own posts before posting anymore?

April 25, 2009 8:26:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No it happens with ANY single target ability.  Never happens on ground targeted or self aoes.

I beleive it happesn most often after you've used an abilty that is self aoe or ground targeted.(IE after using bats, surge of faith, ooze, silence)

I'm starting to think there is no dev response because they want to see "this a problem deep in the engine and will require so much work to fix that we just aren't going to bother" seeing as how it's been around since B1 and unfixed..

April 25, 2009 8:27:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But it has happened to me on Rook's Towers.

April 26, 2009 3:34:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No rooks towers get a failed thing if you try to place them ontop of himself.  They do it if you try placing them too close to an edge too.. yeah it's annoying.

But right now, this getting stuck bug, having been around for 6 months, it makes me want a refund and I can just buy it again IF they fix it..

I can't believe the worse bug never got fixed in 6 months of beta testing.  They've had to known about it before the preorder beta, too. :/

I've been playing a lot the past 3 days, and getting more and more frustrating.  Normally it's fine, since people I play are much worse.  But in an even match.. who wins can often be who the game decides to effect with this bug the least.  It's so damn game breaking.  This can't really be played competitively when who wins really can be random in close games.  It's always letting someone escape with a few hp because a skill wouldn't go off and you're stuck there.  Or you couldn't heal because of it, got stuck there, and die.

This is supposed to be a competitive MP game, but it can't be with this awful bug.

April 26, 2009 3:52:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, you can see when he does that because he turns and it says Aborted. I've had plenty of times where he wont attempt and I'll need to do a move command before he will even fail to place towers.

April 26, 2009 4:23:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its definitly a bug that occurs on nearly every ability. It is really annoying if you can't save a teammate because your character decides to watch him/her die.

April 26, 2009 5:52:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My buddy was constantly bitching about this tonite while playing queen of thorns and the shield wouldn't fire off occasionally, resulting in deaths.

The fact that this and the favor bug still exist just proves what a bunch of noobsauces this dev team is.

April 26, 2009 5:58:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm sure you know exactly what's going on.

April 26, 2009 6:25:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes same problem for me. Its very annoying with sedna, when your mate dies in front of you, although you clicked heal seconds ago and nothing happens.

April 26, 2009 7:28:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
I'm sure you know exactly what's going on.

I do know exactly what's going on.

They're not capable of fixing game ruining bugs.

When huge bugs have been around since early betas, there's no excuse why they are still here in the retail release.

NONE AT ALL.

(ps devs: fix favor thx)

April 27, 2009 12:37:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I encountered this bug a lot in single-player. It happened with a bunch of abilities and items, but seemed to affect the Parasite Egg most of all. Might've been a coincidence, though.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.