The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Day 8 Status Report!

By on April 23, 2009 8:56:38 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Me (Draginol is my other handle) and my friend at GPG working on a problem

So today we got a pretty good new update from Gas Powered Games that we’ve been testing with today.

A lot of the changes have to do with tolerances. How much time should the game wait for others to join before it assumes they’re too slow and kicks them out before the game even starts? How much time should it wait for someone to join a lobby or a game before it says “No, they’re not going to get in?” and blocks them?

So today we played a lot of games with the new build and saw a lot of improvements. Thanks to tricks we’ve picked up from last week when the servers were being crushed, we have gotten a lot better at simulating peek server hours where the connection stuff is most likely to fail.

Right now, the issue we’re trying to fix is where people join a custom game and because they joined at the same time, they are not connected to each other.   That’s what we’re play testing right now and the results look very promising.

Developing games is like a strategy game

Like a strategy game, I’m in the unpleasant position of having to make choices on what people work on and what doesn’t.

If, by now, you have concluded that Demigod is an unusual game in many ways, you’re right.  Typically, the publisher (Stardock) releases the game, collects data and sends them off to the game’s developer (Gas Powered Games) and waits for a “patch” which the publisher then puts through QA and then releases.

Demigod, as you probably have surmised, has been developed differently.  Early last year, I pushed for Demigod to have more single-player elements. But over time, it became clear that everyone involved (at both Stardock and GPG) really enjoyed it more as a multiplayer game.  But in my mind, if you’re going to do that, you need to have lots of cool things like match making, and tournament stuff and long-term expandability.

That’s where Stardock started getting involved in development little by little. At first, it was just a single developer. Then another, and then another.  Pretty soon, we were adding overlays to present more player data, developing a friends list and other community features along with a multiplayer match-making, pantheon stuff, etc.

Stardock and GPG get along great. But you are talking about two veteran development teams working on some pretty sophisticated stuff at great distances.  That’s where I’ve increasingly become involved in pressing both Stardock and GPG development teams on what needs to go in when.  So if you have an issue with Demigod, don’t blame anyone but me because since the game’s release, I’ve essentially taken on the overall development prioritization for good or ill.

Ramifications

So for example, we know that most people can connect to other people. We know this for a fact. The problem is that for a significant percentage of people, it’s #$%# flakey. 

You know what I mean. You set up a custom game and it becomes a fiasco getting people into that custom game because people aren’t connected. Or you try to get a pantheon game going and players get kicked out or you end up with 2 on 2 with a bunch of bots.  Or the same thing with skirmish.

And then there’s the people who just get NAT failed messages or who just can’t connect no matter what.

I’ve gotten a lot of email telling me that I’m “killing Demigod” because I keep making things out to be “worse than they are”.  It’s not my job to paint a happy picture. I’m an engineer, not a marketer. And I hang out enough on the chat channel and on the forums to know that the problems mentioned above are real, must be addressed ASAP!

So anyway, during this week the big architecture change going on is the UDP proxy server setup.  But IT has told me that it will take a few days to do proper load testing on it (i.e. what happens when there’s 20,000 people on there?) 

But the tactical things I’ve been focusing Stardock/GPG onto this week are fixing the connection issues for those who play but find the game flakey, making Pantheon and Skirmish not have bots in them if people have experience, working on the favor point tracking, etc. 

Since I have only N developers at Stardock and M at GPG, that means that if I’m focusing them on those things, other things will go more slowly (including the Proxy stuff).

Tonight’s build is being tested

So like on Tuesday, we do have a new build, this one much more significant because it includes a new Demigod.exe too, but we’re testing it and since it’s 9pm as I write this, it’s not a good idea to put it up this late so it looks like it’ll be tomorrow.

Status Updates long term

I’ve read comments that some people do like these status reports.  Since we’re starting to come to the end of the serious connection problems (it may not seem like to some externally but it really is getting pretty close) I was wondering if people would like to continue to see these things when we start to talk about ideas for new Demigods, new items, new multiplayer modes, how you’d like to see clans and groups and friends handled.  I really don’t mind doing these but obviously don’t want people to get sick of reading these walls of text.

Cheers all and see you tomorrow!

+912 Karma | 116 Replies
April 23, 2009 10:31:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys are doing a great job at fixing the issues at hand. I've noticed a significant improvement in my online games and I'm thrilled to see further improvement.

Thanks!

April 23, 2009 10:35:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I’ve read comments that some people do like these status reports.

Like, no.  Love, yes!

April 23, 2009 10:46:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

MOAR TEXT!

It's appreciated

April 23, 2009 10:53:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still a lot of crashes, especially when I alt+tab. Good job on updating Demi though.

April 23, 2009 11:02:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please, please, please fix the negative favor point bug.  I will be one happy customer when I can play without losing all my favor points and achievements. 

April 23, 2009 11:08:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I always like to know that a developer is still engaged. Knowing what on is even better.

April 23, 2009 11:11:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will this patch fix the disconnection from games while playing?

Just got out of another 30/40 minute game and it disconnected me for no reason.  Left my team with 2 against 3 again. 

April 23, 2009 11:47:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd be happy to see even weekly updates once the serious connection issues have been resolved. It would help keep the community in the loop as to what the developers are looking into and what they've prioritised.

This level of communication is heads and shoulders above the rest of the industry - keep it up!

April 23, 2009 11:57:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not sure what other people are experiencing, but when the patch came up I played a game no problems. Since then i'm seeing more connection issues for the people I normally play with. I've never had a problem, but they are starting to pull their hair out because its gotten worse.

April 24, 2009 12:05:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is the first time that I use my account to post on the forum and I do it to tell you how much I enjoy seeing your Status Report. I think it's really informative and I read them everyday, even if I dont post

Keep up the good work, its a great game and me and my friends love it!

April 24, 2009 12:11:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

good, but still can't support the game! lol!

April 24, 2009 12:25:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These status reports are a god send.

You guys are hands down the best publisher because of your awesome support like these daily reports. Please keep it up and don't be like EA

April 24, 2009 12:32:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When things smooth out, reports on a "regular" basis no matter the frequency would be greatly appreciated by the community. But I assure you we enjoy any and all news from the dev's good or bad as it may be.

April 24, 2009 12:35:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please keep writing these reports, and the video too. thanks! But also talk about whats up for Sins, Elemental, etc.

jorune

April 24, 2009 1:02:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The status reports are good.  No question on that.

I don't know much about the gaming industry but I'd always believed that when a game ships, it has a relatively short window in which to "hook the market" before the next game comes along.   I am a fickle game player ... I personally don't care too much about the distributors or developers.  Presumably the employees are salaried and probably on a bonus plan related to the success of the game.  I am assuming that there are senior managers at the distributors and developers who are mad as heck and probably very, very nervous.  I am guessing that the window in which Demigod can be a "hit" is closing.   For me personally, the inability to reliably connect to other players over the internet has been crippling.  I have found myself trying for upwards of an hour to get a game and has been a hit or miss affair (mostly misses).   The result of this, again I am assuming, must be that the "word of mouth" about Demigod is poor.   Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the game when I can play, but if I were to talk about the game to anyone, the connection problems would be in the first couple of sentences.

I'm going to stick in there but I can't help but believe that the faux-pas of connection issues has already caused a very serious wound in the credibility and longetivity of the game and may in fact prove fatal if not addressed in the very near future.

April 24, 2009 1:04:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

PLEASE keep the updates coming. If people don't want to read 'em, they don't have to! just like in-game, the more options available, the better! 

April 24, 2009 1:13:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keep these status reports coming! Its the first thing I read when I log on my PC.

April 24, 2009 1:21:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the way i see it Brad, no one is forcing anyone to come in here and read your updates, and it's not like they clog up the recent post history either .... personally i think its an absolute no brainer that anyone who has gamed for any amount of time can see the  benefit and appreciate the different way Stardock handle things with the simple fact that you ARE taking time out to do these updates and you are quite happy to do so!

Bottom line i think to question whether or not it annoys people is simply giving more power to these individuals who seem to get the illusion they run/own the boards they post on and that single post to their disliking should be removed entirely ..... in a nutshell i think you would be absolutely barking mad to stop doing these updates and showing the community that you and Stardock really did mean your Gamers Bill of Rights .... the simple fact is for ANYONE to complain about this and then go on EA forums and demand answers is complete and utter hypocracy!

April 24, 2009 1:28:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Too much communication is a lot more favorable than too little communication. Keep the updates coming please.

April 24, 2009 1:30:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Love the Status Reports - adding a list of known issues and priorities would be great as well but keep it up.

Thank you

Tals

April 24, 2009 1:58:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

THANK YOU!! Frogboy keep it up, all your hard work is much appreciated man. I'd love to keep reading the updates, it's very nice to be able to talk about problems face to f-...er... well, computer to computer and get things done. You chatting with us and letting know what's going on with the games keep us (the customers/consumers) more informed and thus more interested in the game, the company, and develops a mutal respect between Company and Consumer. You obviously have no obligation whatsoever to write these things, but you do it anyways, and that alone deserves recognition and respect. By keep communication open like this, it allows a much more deeper reason for consumers to stand more firmly behind their favorite companies, and a more legitimate reason at that.

Anyways, thanks again, I'm buying my copy of Demigod later today and can't wait to play the game and check out the online (as troublesome as it might be at first!).

I have much respect and appreciation toward Stardock and I want it to stay that way. I'll be buying Elemental as well... can't wait.

April 24, 2009 2:02:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please keep the updates steady and regular. The only reason I'm still playing DemiGod is because of them. Your posts about what is changing, what is new, what you're working on, and the long term goals and future plans etc are what keep me playing and coming back.

So yeah. Keep it up, duh!
-Aleckor

April 24, 2009 2:56:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, I definately like to hear what's going on. I don't mind walls of text at all.

April 24, 2009 3:04:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

more updates kthx

April 24, 2009 3:22:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the updates should stay . Gamers tend to appreciate it when devs take time to consult the community, I know certainly do. Any word on fixing favor? Starting to get annoying hehe. Good to hear the network problems should be sorted out soon. Cheers.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.