The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: First week anniversary status report

By on April 22, 2009 9:35:48 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well I hope you guys aren’t getting sick of these status reports.  As I type this the build from last night is going up. Here’s what’s new:

• Added check in Pantheon and Skirmish games to detect if host has cancelled or all the other human players quit, and pops up a message if this happens so that you can cancel instead of being stuck.  GPG is working on the other side of this fix to make it so that you won't have to cancel and the remaining human players can continue to the game.
  • Tweaked NAT punchthrough settings to try and make success more likely
  • Put in a proper error message for the case when the player quits rather than generic “Disconnected from NAT”
  • Put in a proper error message for the case when someone who started a pantheon game quits before others get in (should largely take care of the staring at the connecting thing forever).
  • Added additional check in the connection code to make sure that both players have connection data for each other before handing off the connection data to Demigod, which may prevent unidirectional
  • Fixed the connection dialog to refresh the players connecting more aggressively.
  • Optimized Friends list code for people with no friends
  • Messages for Disconnected from NAT facilitator now contain more useful information (disconnected because game was cancelled, game has already started, etc)
  • Reduced delay before allowing people in the lobby, which may cause more people to get in the lobby without being connected to all players.
  • Fixed an incompatibility between Direct3D and the Overlay which would cause players to crash, particularly on alt-esc.
  • Ground work for UDP Proxy, you should notice connections being faster and better if you’re in Europe.

This update should hit Impulse later tonight.  As you can tell by the change log, this is really an interim update.  We have a much more significant update in testing but we didn’t want to wait until that build was ready to get a new build out there that improves things. 

A preview of what’s next:

I can’t promise that we’ll have another update tomorrow. There’s a lot of coordination that has to take place between GPG and Stardock and we’re 3 hours apart time-zone wise.  But let me give you a head’s up on things we’re pretty close on:

1. Taking care of the timing problem where player says they’re connected to everyone but they don’t get into the game. It’s a timing issue that’s hard to replicate but it doesn’t happen for us under normal circumstances. But it is probably the #1 issue for those who don’t have NAT issues. This really shows up in pantheon and skirmish games in particular (a player has left the game – right at the start).
  2. Custom Game player queuing. You set up a game, someone joins, another person joins but they have a yellow ping. That’s because they didn’t know about the other player. This is something that if we had another few hours would have been in tonight’s update.
  3. Experienced players not getting AI players in skirmish/pantheon.  This has been a lot trickier to do than it might seem because we really are trying to keep expert players from just reaping havoc on relatively inexperienced players.  The consensus seems that people would rather have the touch players against them than AI so we’re going to broaden things.

So those are the 3 things we are hoping to deliver tomorrow.  You may have noticed there aren’t a lot of “bug fixes” here.  That’s been the most challenging thing here. Like I say in the video below, launching Demigod has been practically like launching an ISP for us in terms of infrastructure.  What once seemed like a simple matter of tossing up a NAT negotiator that puts people into games has really become a lot more than that.  Our fault of course, we couldn’t leave good enough alone and had to have the Pantheon and the smart Skirmish mode and such but I think in the long run it’ll be worth it.

In defense of Peer to Peer

One thing I really want to stress here is that there is nothing inherently wrong with peer-to-peer.  Supreme Commander is peer-to-peer and it works fine.  The difference, of course, is how they were released.  Digital distribution is a godsend in most ways but having people from around the world playing together immediately has created a lot of the challenges that we must overcome.  That’s an over simplification here I just don’t want to see people bashing Gas Powered Games for choosing to make Demigod P2P.  They’ve had great success with it in the past and Demigod will soon be up to speed as well.

My point is, GPG has a lot of experience in this area with a proven game (Supreme Commander) that demonstrates that this works. They know their stuff.

+912 Karma | 81 Replies
April 22, 2009 11:03:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome! Thanks for the update info!

April 22, 2009 11:04:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome stuff. I like how we're getting constant info.  Any news on the dissapearing items/favor points bug?

And maybe in the future, a SupCom FA patch ?

April 22, 2009 11:17:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks for the update!  I look forward to trying the changes

April 22, 2009 11:20:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

good stuff!

April 22, 2009 11:35:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As always, thanks for the update. I'll nab the patch when I get home.

April 22, 2009 11:40:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wish other companies would have status reports like this as frequently as you guys have given them.  I'm still waiting to hear back on a few problems with games on steam (mostly 3rd party) that worked fine previously but are no longer working on the steam side of things.  EA gives one status report every 3-5 months at times before they leave a game broken, unbalanced, and just in poor shape while releasing a brand new game (command and conquer series namely... CnC3 is still horribly buggy and unbalanced).  I have confidence that stardock (and GPG) want to make their products top notch for their players.  They want to give people what they paid for and not just turn a quick buck.

Thanks to all of you hardworking folks at stardock and gas powered games!

April 22, 2009 11:51:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

After this update I played my first FULL Patheon game of a 3vs3 in the lava based arena.  Spectacular game (we won, of course), but the overall connection was great and nobody got dropped so it was all humans the entire match.  This update was well needed and is well received.  Thank you Stardock & Gas Powered Games, keep up the good work.

April 23, 2009 12:04:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update, please fix the /nosound stuff soon too!

April 23, 2009 12:14:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I must say, the daily status reports are one of the higlights of my day.  By all means, keep the coming.

April 23, 2009 12:24:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm really hoping these Proxy Servers are up and running before the weekend. If they are, who knows - I might end up with a cold coming on and having to take a day off on Monday...

April 23, 2009 12:48:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regarding these updates - i dont think you can really ever communicate too much with your customers in regards to issues and future updates. They really do inspire confidence.

April 23, 2009 12:48:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice update.  Pantheon games load twice as fast, sometimes three times as fast for me.  Less than a minute.  Now please please please fix the favor points.  It's frustrating to play for a solid week, win 30 matches, and still have negative favor.

Oh!  And the bots are "mostly" gone from Pantheon.  Need to wipe them out for exp. users.

Great job, keep it up!

April 23, 2009 12:48:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good update.

These reports are very important to keeping your fans happy. Please keep them coming. Demigod was the first Stardock game I've ever bought (and I've owned almost every GPG game so far) and while I almost lost all faith in Stardock (publisher is responsible for quality!) you are gaining it back each day with these status reports and updates. I love this game, I hope you can fix it.

Also on your comment about people would rather play against experienced players than bots, well DUH. Why do you think we're PC gamers? We enjoy competition. If we wanted to play crappy bots we'd be playing console games. Every PC gamer knows the best way to learn the game is get your ass kicked by some pros online.

April 23, 2009 1:01:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I take back what I said earlier.  This update was terrible. 

Connection information before joining a game is a LOT faster, everything else is the same if not worse. 

Two friends and I had to remake a game 4 times before even being able to connect to the other team.  In the final game, we finally got connected to everyone and after leaving/rejoining/kicking enough people after AN HOUR IN THE SAME ROOM.  Also, all our ports are forwarded and none of that is the problem.  We are ALL able to keep connected to several other games just fine.

We launch the game, I level up to level 2 and HERE COMES A SPIKE OF WHATEVER IT IS THAT SPIKES THE GAME.  My internert, fps, everything is fine.  Opposing player gets kicked, 5 seconds after the spike, I get kicked.  All that is left is my 2 friends and the 2 on the other team with AI's in there.  After an hour and a half of trying to play in one damn game, it fails on all accounts.

I even got a damn message while loading the map "You have been kicked from the game you are were trying to join".   How much sense does that make?  The message should have been "Sorry, after wasting your time for an hour and a half, you are kicked for no reason other than to piss you off, make throw a shovel at your monitor, eat your computer in frustration, then reinstall life.  Have a nice day asshole."

April 23, 2009 1:42:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for keeping us updated so much, I really appreciate being one of the few U.S. players that hasn't been able to play via the game's built in online play.  Going to go and try again and see if it's any different with the new patch, but since the proxies aren't up my hopes aren't super high.  

Edit:  Partial success!  I managed to connect to everyone in a Pantheon game, but once it started everyone was replaced with A.I. opponents.  This is much better than before, when I couldn't connect to anyone.  I don't have time for more testing tonight, but tomorrow I'll see if it leads to actual games happening for me.

April 23, 2009 1:50:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sadly the patch doesn't fix much except give more error messages.  Some error messages like getting "kicked" aren't correct.

April 23, 2009 2:41:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Optimized Friends list code for people with no friends

Hurts man, hurts!

Btw, thanks for the patches and updates. Really like it when things improved on an everyday basis.

April 23, 2009 2:52:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tried a Pantheon game today, ran smoothly.  Got one "player has left the game" during startup (out of 6), went perfect beyond that.  I went 21-2 myself

April 23, 2009 2:54:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awsome. This is largely the reason why I bought this game despite the luke-warm reviews.

April 23, 2009 2:58:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've trusted you guys to deliver quality games since GalCiv. Demigod has a lot of potential--but some glaring bugs and connectivity issues that are really drawing players away from the game. With a stable net code and streamlined connectivity with the P2P, the minor gameplay bugs will be the only things holding back this awesome game. Considering the popularity of Dota--which is a much more basic in gameplay terms on almost every level--and Blizzard Entertainment's Battle.net, the potential for a great game is here... but for the sake of GPG and Stardock... please keep fixing these glaring issues before this awesome game dies! We all appreciate it!

April 23, 2009 3:38:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Hey Exile96, yup, what you said.  I could not get into your game, or any or ther game.  So I finally tried a Skirmish/Quick-match.  It took about 10 minutes to get it going, but I finally did get into a game. 2v2, but that's the humans; it added 6 AI's for a 5v5.  But the game ran smooth till the end after that.
April 23, 2009 4:13:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I Love Those Reports !    

April 23, 2009 4:44:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Patch didn't resolve my "Cannot connect to a NAT facilitator." problem .

April 23, 2009 5:05:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good to know whats going on, for your slaves 

April 23, 2009 5:06:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i never had problems connecting to anyone. but starting custom game took about 30-40minutes everytime. now, with eject player button working and some networking improvements its A LOT better.

thx for updates and this reports. keep up the good work.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.